[HowTo] Build a Hackintosh HTPC

munky

66 posts in this topic

I dont think my EyeTV tuner does it but im sure some of the EyeTV Comaptible Hauppagge Tuners do,

Munky, the compaitbilty is ine, i can time shift, tune record and stream (quick time streaming server lol) to other pc's on my network (which is about 5m squared in size :))

so i did some testing today with the whole symlinks to movies thing in the ~/Movies folder, and while it does work, putting movie files in there (as opposed to adding them to iTunes) means Front Row reindexes the directory each time, and its taking way too long. :)

so I guess i'll have to do without my By Genre listings.

Ok, time to take stock.

I now have:

- OSX-based HTPC sweetness

- EyeTV Full Screen Menu with Front Row integration

- EyeTV wakes the machine from sleep to do a recording (killer!)

- Photo slideshows via Front Row / iPhoto

- DVD playback via Front Row / DVD Player.app

- Movie and Music playback via Front Row / iTunes

To these basics, i've added:

- one of those in-car FM transmitters, so I dont have to run cables to my stereo (NB any hifi freaks who now want to crucify me for using such a low-quality setup can go and jump). i cut the cable from the cigarette lighter plug and wired it straight to the 12v on the ATX supply, and wired the stereo audio direct to the front-panel audio connector on the mobo, so the whole FM transmitter is nicely inside the PC case :whistle:

- a cheap USB webcam, and the macam and iChatUSBCam software, allowing me to video conference with my 8-month old at lunchtimes (i'll be at work, using my MacBook's built-in iSight)

overall, im rather pleased. i still want to control the damn thing using my Apple Remote (i never use it for the macbook - i dont see the point).

my options (money being a big consideration):

- try to get the IR on the Freecom USB DVB-T stick to work (somehow)

- try to get my old serial IR receiver to work (somehow) - perhaps LIRC?

- buy an MCE IR receiver and use twistedmelon's mira software

- buy twistedmelons receiver and software

any thoughts? any advice? anyone know enough about USB hackery to try to figure out how to get the signals from the Freecom?? or, failing that, the signals from the serial port receiver?

• 1 month later...

thanks mike, but i really want to use the Apple Remote.

i got it to work with the mira software and IR dongle. everything looking sweet now!

all i've got to do is add a second hard disk (i've got another 160Gb SATA but its one of my xmas presents so not allowed it until after the 25th!) for recording, and think about upgrading to the proper 10.4.8 kernel. GMA900 / 10.4.8 worries me tho...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi munky!

i have since 2 month my mac mini (i replaced it because of my hackintosh;) in the living room as mediacenter. i tried different things, one solution was to use mediacentral. but it doesn't support my plextor-tv solution. so i decided to use my xbox with xboxmediacenter as extender. the mini stores all the nessesary stuff like movies, music and photos. the xbmc is the streaming client, the interface is skinable. i watch stored movies by streaming them via smb, hear music via itunes (xbmc can handle this) and watch my photos also via smb-share. for recording i use tv-browser, its very simple to program a recording-session.

the only small problem is, i have to switch between tv, xbox and mac to watch live-tv (i could use the mini too), watch movies/hear music/watch photos and for programming records. i bet there will be a phyton-plugin for xbmc to program my mac-eyetv via xbmc in near future.

lg

Mikemad

Edited by Mikemad

Ok,

Thx to all, got my HTPC running.. but i want to ask some things...

got eyetv now.. but no Option to get a "FrontRow"-like menu.... but FR is installed and working...

if i play Songs in iTunes, all is fine, but with FR, my Computer wont play some Songs.. because i have to identify me in iTunes Store...?

but these Songs are imported from CDs only...

Anyone have a Solution for that?

Thx... have a nice time....

Rene

• 2 weeks later...

elgato removed the Front Row option from the menu at apple's insistence. Try an earlier version (i cant recall which version im using - 2.3.0 i think)

you'll be glad to hear my HTPC is finally deployed to its rightful place in my living room :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I got iTele and Mplayer working with a Twinhan Visionplus DVB-T PCI card, pretty unstable, have to reboot often, mines an old card too, I think it's a 1020, basically the only real trick was to create a folder for both iTele and Mplayer and stick 'em both in it.

Dunno if that helps anyone :wacko::blink:

• 1 year later...

I just built my hackintosh on 10.5.6. I have a PVR-150 in the box. Were anyone able to install one of these? It works great on Linux with some Open Source drivers. Anyone had success compiling these on OSX?