[HowTo] Build a Hackintosh HTPC

munky

66 posts in this topic

I was personally going for a Elagato made Tuner, they look nce, i was thinking of the EyeTV DTT or whatever its calles (the little white box with orange feet and a blue LED), also i was going to get a Antec Fusion Case, but im not so sure if the VFD works in OS X ;)

lol bofors - thats quite amusing.

anyway, progress report: I got EyeTV 2.3 working with the Freecom USB stick (which System Profiler reports is a Miglia TVMini), and can record programmes, and even timeshift live TV. Timeshifting is a *tiny* bit choppy, but then the machine (currently) only has 512Mb of RAM (and is a 3Ghz Celeron D :) )

next steps are get iLife '06 on there, apply this trick to get Front Row working, then begin experimentation with LIRC and the serial IR dongle I have.

I hoped to get it working with my Apple Remote, but as my MacBook had the random shutdown issue, I RMA'd it. I'll probably buy another MacBook soon (holding out for the 12th to see if MeromBooks arrive), but in the meantime i'll use the remote which came with the Freecom, or the one which came with the dongle (which came with an ancient PCTV PCI card).

i also need to sort out the EPG, which i'm hoping to do via this cunning trickery.

all in all, im pleased its working as well as it is, but I need more... MORE! :D

cant wait for Showtime :dev:

small update: iLife 06 installed, tried to get Front Row working, but the FrontRowPass.kext doesnt like my wireless keyboard/mouse combo, and Andrew Escobar's enabler causes SystemUIServer and EyeTV to crash. Ho hum.

iTV looks interesting tho.

small update - i did a test the other day whereby i scheduled a recording then set the machine to sleep. it woke up and started recording properly. nice!

planning to dig out a USB mouse and revisit Front Row tomorrow.

i got my IDE to SATA adapters today, so i'm going to install one in my hackintosh htpc, and two into my main hackintosh so i can set up a RAID mirror to help protect my precious photos.

great! can u tell me what adapter is it?

did this adaptor support hardware-raid or software-raid (osx)?

thx,

Mikemad

its this adapter - i got it off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190032629103

they were pretty cheap, as you can see, but they seem to work fine. i got three of them shipped from Hong Kong for £14

i'd guess the adapter would support hardware raid, but only if you have a SATA hardware RAID controller supported by OS X (i dont know if there are any). it basically just turns the IDE drive into a SATA drive - no more, no less.

the RAID i plan to implement is just Disk Utility's software RAID.

• 3 weeks later...

ok a quick update, as im aware this thread is in danger of going stale.

the project is by no means dead, i just havent had much time lately. but things are back on track. basically this project is on hold awaiting this one : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28689

basically, im juggling all my data around to free up two 160Gb disks to create a RAID mirror on the main hackintosh (for photo archival, outlined here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28706, and freeing up a 160Gb SATA drive to become the HTPC's disk.

in other news, i worked out a nice system for classification of movies. basically in the 'Movies' folder on the HTPC, im going to create various directories - 'By Name', 'By Genre' etc, then symlink to the actual movie files. i've done a test with A Bug's Life - i symlinked to it from By Genre/Kids, By Genre/Animation and By Name/, and it works beautifully - like iTunes for movies (uhh.. ok apple already kinda did that... but hey, not in Front Row).

im considering writing a front-end to it, too, but i dunno if i'll ever find the time.

i know this is the wrong topic but i asked this in the front row area and they didnt ansewer me because i looked on my jas install disc and i didnt find fron row where they told me to look at. any ideas where it would be at. thanks for help in advance.

A possible Remote Control option is the Remote Wonder from ATI. If you use the software from ATI's website for Mac OS X, it gives the full capability of the remote.

I have this remote Control and my question would be - since the software from ATI dated 2005 does the driver (kext ???) work with Intel motherboard ???

no idea mate... try it out! :angel: i doubt it will work tho, sadly.

kiko: cool - whats the functionality? what you using? Front Row? EyeTV?

to answer the eyetv/frontrow integration question - EyeTV 2.3 provides a 'Front Row' menu option it if detects Front Row is installed.

ok, so i put a 160Gb SATA disk in the HTPC, and had to switch to 'configure SATA as IDE' in the BIOS to get the (JaS) 10.4.7 disc to see the drive during installation. seemed to work fine, and after installing booted to desktop fine. next boot, however, resulted in nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left - didnt even get to the darwin bootloader.

anybody come across this?

ok, so i put a 160Gb SATA disk in the HTPC, and had to switch to 'configure SATA as IDE' in the BIOS to get the (JaS) 10.4.7 disc to see the drive during installation. seemed to work fine, and after installing booted to desktop fine. next boot, however, resulted in nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left - didnt even get to the darwin bootloader.

anybody come across this?

Not sure, but is the partition marked Active?

all working now! :D

Glad to hear munky.

On a related note. I currently am using a Microsoft Media Center machine with 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 cards that do hardware mpeg2 encoding. I have an additional PVR-150 card that I have been playing with in a MythTV box. My Wife (has to be wife approved) is using a Linksys Media Extender on the TV to record, and watch tv from the Media Center machine located elsewhere in the house.

The Media Center experience has been ok, but not great, there are many connection and playback issues between the Media Center machine and the extender, requiring frequent power resets of the extender, to say the least, it's annoying. The extender sometimes takes almost 3 minutes to connect to the machine.

The MythTV experience has been ok as a recording machine, but no easy way to extend the server capabilities to the tv, as in small devices.

I'm interested in your progress, as it would be wonderful to be able to use the hauppauge pvr-150 cards in an OSX box, or maybe just getting the Elgato stuff.

Any thoughts?

thanks

ive no idea if they would work, to be honest - are there any mac drivers? i'm guessing if there are they will be ppc only - there is no intel mac with PCI slots (Mac Pro uses PCI-Express).

if it could be done, it would be great. im sticking to my cheap and cheerful DVB-T stick - since the incoming signal is already MPEG-2, the machine doesnt have to do any encoding (well, maybe after the recoding, for archival purposes).

im nearing the point when im going to put all the pieces together. i ripped out the hdd once i got 10.4.7 installed today, as im going to take it home and copy my media library onto it. aside from that and getting wlan up and running, the machine is nearly done. shame it only has 145Gb of storage, as I have over 160Gb of video... :D might end up getting another hdd for it at some stage... :D

@Bearcat, Really man the best MCE extender is Xbox with media center software and remote , works perfect.

munky now with iTV coming, do you think its still usefull to have an HPTC computer?

isnt best to have a Xserver fully loaded and stream everything?

theres some griffing remote wuch works awesome with the mac and its RF. and only 39 bucks