Just a quarter of the screen when I boot

Tynsoe

22 posts in this topic

Hi, I installed Leo on my iPos, from tiger launching the Leo installer manually.

The problem is when I boot, the assistant comes up, but I see only a quarter of the screen, the upper right part. I tried plugin another display, switching monitors etc, but nothing to do. I tried to enable Spaces but it is not yet up at this stage of the boot.

Anyone got this problem ?

Had the same problem.

It was caused by wrong rights on my drive. Everything was set to my username:username, instead of root:wheel.

You could try to boot Tiger (if Leopard is installed on another partition) and type "sudo chown -R root:wheel /<LeopardVolume>/*" that solved it for me.  :D

Hi, thanks for the answer.

The problem is that doing this does not change anything, since at mount-time all files are owned by 99 (nobody) and doing whown does not affect effective UID/GID...

I continue to investigate this, but none of the files are owned by myself.

Got it...

We have to remove localized files, or better, not install them. I guess there is an option while installing.

In my case, the system was French (the assistant was localized in french, that's how I saw it) and I had to remove all French.lproj directories of the drive.

Now I get the assistant on the full screen and I can finish it.

After that I get a blue screen then nothing. Only the login panel when booting with extensiosn disabled (good old Shift while booting), but the nothing again.

To remove french files I did a boot with Single User mode, then remounted the drive RW, as said in the shell, then :

find / -name French.lproj -exec rm -rf {} \;

Hope that helps

Ok, so this is what I'm trying right now:

In Tiger, go to System Preferences, on the International PrefPane put English on the top of the list. Reboot in Tiger. Wipe your Leopard partition with Disk Utility, mount the Install DVD image, run OSInstall.mpkg from it and reinstall Leopard on its partition. That should install the OS with English as the default language and work fine.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

hackand, thanks that worked, but i only get a blue screen when im done with choosing language etc. i tried to reboot with no luck :(

this is getting very annoying.

Don't worry, it's all part of the same issue.

Reboot and keep the shift key pressed to boot into safe mode, now get into your account and go to system preferences, accounts.

Click Login Options (you need to click the lock and type your password first) then uncheck the Automatically Login as option.

Reboot to start in normal mode.

Had the same problem.

It was caused by wrong rights on my drive. Everything was set to my username:username, instead of root:wheel.

You could try to boot Tiger (if Leopard is installed on another partition) and type "sudo chown -R root:wheel /<LeopardVolume>/*" that solved it for me.  :D

I only get this: kjetil-eiksunds-imac-g5:~ eiksound$ sudo chown -R root:wheel /volumes/leopard/

Password:

: Operation not permitted.Archived_Directories

chown: /volumes/leopard//System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi: Operation not permitted

chown: /volumes/leopard//System/Library/CoreServices/BootX: Operation not permitted

I don't know about that, but all I did is repair permission with Disk Utility (no errors during the process) and unchecking automatic login.

Also this didn't happen when I later installed Leopard using the mpkg method under Leopard (using another machine with the iMac in Firewire Target Mode[/b]

I have the same problem on my eMac 1,42GHz Superdrive. I called AppleCare Assistace Line, they refused to help me.

So I called our Apple Reseller, and the guy said that he want to help me, but he will have problem.

Anyone have an idea, I want to install it NOW ! :) loL Why they did it so complex !

Don't worry, it's all part of the same issue.

Reboot and keep the shift key pressed to boot into safe mode, now get into your account and go to system preferences, accounts.

Click Login Options (you need to click the lock and type your password first) then uncheck the Automatically Login as option.

Reboot to start in normal mode.

thanks so much man, it worked :thumbsup_anim:

how did you know / figure out this ?

:wallbash:

How do i boot in single user mode with leopard on the ipod and tiger in the internal?

Command+S

It doesn't matter what volume you are booting from, if you need to select a different startup volume keep the alt key pressed upon powering up the machine.