[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Great stuff :( , apparently no fermi freezes on Lion, maybe I'll try installing it one day. Was installation straight forward Vlad?

Now I test, about results I shall write later.Since an image of the installed system on HDD.

Fermi works from a box, I have and with Leo there were no problems.

Now I test, about results I shall write later.Since an image of the installed system on HDD.

Fermi works from a box, I have and with Leo there were no problems.

hi vladlenas,

i noticed that u have L501x, i'm thinking to install Snow Leopard on my L501x as well.

My XPS15 L501x is as follows:-

i7 Q740

8GB RAM

nVidia GeFORCE GT435M

could you point to me where i can get an easy to understand guide coz i'm newbie in OSX86...

or what are some of the additional steps for L501x in addition to normal guide...

Thanks in advance...

hi vladlenas,

i noticed that u have L501x, i'm thinking to install Snow Leopard on my L501x as well.

My XPS15 L501x is as follows:-

i7 Q740

8GB RAM

nVidia GeFORCE GT435M

could you point to me where i can get an easy to understand guide coz i'm newbie in OSX86...

or what are some of the additional steps for L501x in addition to normal guide...

Thanks in advance...

She is no mine topic,therefore I have no the moral right to give the instruction here ;) .

hi all,

sorry for my absence.

i changing my home, my work, not a good quarter for me. Unfortunately I have not had time to actively follow the thread, but they are always passed to read.

I want first to thank Vladenas for his fantastic contribution to the project.

Vlad has made great improvements during my absence.

Vlad, I have a bid for you, making this thread a point of reference for the XPS L*01X series, lacking only the DSDT of 401.

please write your guide here, try to find common points for the guide, and do a single package with different DSDT. Try to work as a team :(

in the coming weeks, probably I'll have time to enhancement the project.

bye

theSLug

hi all,

sorry for my absence.

i changing my home, my work, not a good quarter for me. Unfortunately I have not had time to actively follow the thread, but they are always passed to read.

I want first to thank Vladenas for his fantastic contribution to the project.

Vlad has made great improvements during my absence.

Vlad, I have a bid for you, making this thread a point of reference for the XPS L*01X series, lacking only the DSDT of 401.

please write your guide here, try to find common points for the guide, and do a single package with different DSDT. Try to work as a team :(

in the coming weeks, probably I'll have time to enhancement the project.

bye

theSLug

Hi I do not see sense to write new guid, I too put first time MAC OS X on yours guid :wacko: ,then only have made under configuration BootCD.

It agree with you that it is necessary to collect all in one seat.

I am excited that you have returned in back :) .

Hi I do not see sense to write new guid, I too put first time MAC OS X on yours guid :D ,then only have made under configuration BootCD.

It agree with you that it is necessary to collect all in one seat.

I am excited that you have returned in back :P .

So, there is no second chance for this guide to work with L702x? I'm envy you guys!

So, there is no second chance for this guide to work with L702x? I'm envy you guys!

I am running L702x, i7-2630QM, NVIDIA GT 550M (1GB) 1920x1080x32 3D LCD (requirement at this stage), 10.6.7 booting from harddrive. I am able to load a DSDT although it has not had much effect yet as the mods came from the L701x DSDT and there are major differences.

Currently, no audio, no wireless (have 1030 installed); I have the DELL 1510 card and it does work but I have not bothered to put it back in yet. Video with no QE/CL but it is 1920x1080. As the 550 or 555 NVIDIA 3D option locks the NVIDIA card on there is no OPTIMUS issue as the HD 3000 is turned off.

I used 10.6.3 with TONYMAC [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] LEGACY boot, update to 10.6.6 and installed kexts, etc. using TONYMAC [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]; updated to 10.6.7 later. Grab the MACH_KERNAL from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy boot disk and copy it to your harddrive (replace installed MACH_KERNEL) and be sure to fix your permissions!

BACKUP between changes as the CD will be needed to reboot at this point ... and sometimes, you'll have to reboot from your USB backup - use the 3.0 ports on the back; 2.0 ports are not functioning yet. Be sure to install PXHCD kexts for 3.0 support.

To boot from the hard drive requires a second drive - you cannot use a GPT disk on the L702x to boot. See my post (#23) here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...55734&st=20

I'll follow up with further developments as I have them.

Steve

Currently, no audio, no wireless (have 1030 installed); I have the DELL 1510 card and it does work but I have not bothered to put it back in yet. Video with no QE/CL but it is 1920x1080. As the 550 or 555 NVIDIA 3D option locks the NVIDIA card on there is no OPTIMUS issue as the HD 3000 is turned off.

What audio the codec at you?

I believe his L702x has AL665 audio codec.

I have a XPS 15 L502x which also has the same codec. I tried the kexts that you posted ealier (IO AudioFamily.kext and AppleHDA.kext). But there is no audio device that shows up.

Here is what i see in my kernel log

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SP-Audio support by Taruga

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 03/07/2009 Compiled for 32/64-bit by Taruga

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterrupt ()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 312 goto Exit

What audio the codec at you?

I believe his L702x has AL665 audio codec.

I have a XPS 15 L502x which also has the same codec. I tried the kexts that you posted ealier (IO AudioFamily.kext and AppleHDA.kext). But there is no audio device that shows up.

Here is what i see in my kernel log

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SP-Audio support by Taruga

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 03/07/2009 Compiled for 32/64-bit by Taruga

May 28 15:49:39 Ravi-Chirumamillas-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterrupt ()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 312 goto Exit

It is not enough information to help you.I need yours DSDT, ioreg.dump, codec.dump, linux.dump then I shall try to help you

It is not enough information to help you.I need yours DSDT, ioreg.dump, codec.dump, linux.dump then I shall try to help you

Thank you for your help and all of your previous work. As I had nearly-fully functioning L701x for a short while, I have a still-bootable USB copy of that and am using it to cobble together my L702x. Here's a copy of my DSDT both before (_vanilla) and current (_current) for comparison; you'll note it is significantly different than yours.

This DSDT has enabled the Bluetooth and the USB 2.0 ports. I found the DSDTFixer.app from the EvOsX86 team who brought us DSDTSE and I used it to correct IRQ's, insert the DTGP and Speedstep fix to start. I inserted the EHCI code (the fixer was unable to do this which I am sure is because of the Sandy Bridge differences).

Anyway, I'm going to attempt Audio and Video today if I can keep my mind on it. I should note that my L702x has only two slots though it recognizes four so I would suggest no one actually try my DSDTs on their machines; always start with yours and modify. I have an app called p4merge which makes the editting a breeze from different DSDTs.

L702x_DSDTs.zip

how did you install lion on the l501x ? on my maschine it reboots on every start, can you give me a guide or something vladlenas ? maybe by pm ?

I in current of several days shall write the instruction and I shall publish here.

Thank you for your help and all of your previous work. As I had nearly-fully functioning L701x for a short while, I have a still-bootable USB copy of that and am using it to cobble together my L702x. Here's a copy of my DSDT both before (_vanilla) and current (_current) for comparison; you'll note it is significantly different than yours.

This DSDT has enabled the Bluetooth and the USB 2.0 ports. I found the DSDTFixer.app from the EvOsX86 team who brought us DSDTSE and I used it to correct IRQ's, insert the DTGP and Speedstep fix to start. I inserted the EHCI code (the fixer was unable to do this which I am sure is because of the Sandy Bridge differences).

Anyway, I'm going to attempt Audio and Video today if I can keep my mind on it. I should note that my L702x has only two slots though it recognizes four so I would suggest no one actually try my DSDTs on their machines; always start with yours and modify. I have an app called p4merge which makes the editting a breeze from different DSDTs.

I not the expert on editing DSDT, but shall look yours and I shall add fix which is I have (considering that your platform another).And still I'd like ioreg.dump.

Let's try to get Video (Nvidia) and Audio. :(

I not the expert on editing DSDT, but shall look yours and I shall add fix which is I have (considering that your platform another).And still I'd like ioreg.dump.

Let's try to get Video (Nvidia) and Audio. ;)

Hi vladlenas,

i've got nearly the same laptop as SteveRings (Dell XPS 17 L702x - i7-2720QM & 3D with Intel Graphics disabled). Currently i got Video working with 1080p Resolution and QE/CI. Only Sound (ALC665 :D ), USB 2.0 Ports and some cosmetic things (LID, Hibernate) are not working.

My DSDT is still vanilla. I tried different DSDT patches (_DSM Method + DTGP), but none of them brings me audio back. With VoodooHDA, I hear some noisy sound but nothing spectacular.

Currently I have to boot with legacy_kernel 10.7.0 and some bootflags to get no kernel panic or freeze at boot: busratio=22 FixFSB=Yes arch=i386 fsb=100000000 -force64 (some of them are not necessary, only cosmetic things, but without arch=i386, i got freeze at boot without kernel panic)

My DSDT, Dumps and other things (I hope it helps) are in the attachment.

Thank you

11873_dumps.zip

Hi vladlenas,

i've got nearly the same laptop as SteveRings (Dell XPS 17 L702x - i7-2720QM & 3D with Intel Graphics disabled). Currently i got Video working with 1080p Resolution and QE/CI. Only Sound (ALC665 ;) ), USB 2.0 Ports and some cosmetic things (LID, Hibernate) are not working.

My DSDT is still vanilla. I tried different DSDT patches (_DSM Method + DTGP), but none of them brings me audio back. With VoodooHDA, I hear some noisy sound but nothing spectacular.

Currently I have to boot with legacy_kernel 10.7.0 and some bootflags to get no kernel panic or freeze at boot: busratio=22 FixFSB=Yes arch=i386 fsb=100000000 -force64 (some of them are not necessary, only cosmetic things, but without arch=i386, i got freeze at boot without kernel panic)

Thank you

My L702x has audio on both internal microphone and speakers; we have the ALC665. Use the ALC665 instructions (available in this thread a few pages back) and patch your DSDT under the HDEF. I've included my DSDTs below (and my IOREG for Vladlenas) that are up-to-date; the patches included will get your USB ports working as well.

Free apps you could really use for DSDT help: p4merge, DSDTFixer and DSDTSE.

SteveRings_L702x.zip

Looking at your DSDT i also have similar changes for L502x.

I m using VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext

But the soud is all distorted. Which kexts are you using?.

Also, I would really appreciate if you post the post id that you are referring to in this thread.

Edit: Actually i found the post. Thanks for pointing it out though. Now the audio is also crystal clear.

I installed the three kexts (AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.kext IOAudioFamily.kext) posted vladlenas.

Thanks to you guys i have an almost fully working system.

Do you happen to know how to get sleep working? Does it work on L702x?

My L702x has audio on both internal microphone and speakers; we have the ALC665. Use the ALC665 instructions (available in this thread a few pages back) and patch your DSDT under the HDEF. I've included my DSDTs below (and my IOREG for Vladlenas) that are up-to-date; the patches included will get your USB ports working as well.

Hi,

Thank you very very much! I tried a few hours, different kext packages and DSDT patches to get it working.And now, your current_DSDT is giving me Sound, Bluetooth and the USB 2.0 ports. I used the Kext Package from vladlenas (HDAEnabler.kext, IOAudioFamily.kext and AppleHDA.kext) without the HDAEnabler.kext.

Only USB (2.0 and 3.0) after Hibernate and LID doesn't work for now. Do you know, what I've to patch to get it working?

Thank you

Hi,

Thank you very very much! I tried a few hours, different kext packages and DSDT patches to get it working.And now, your current_DSDT is giving me Sound, Bluetooth and the USB 2.0 ports. I used the Kext Package from vladlenas (HDAEnabler.kext, IOAudioFamily.kext and AppleHDA.kext) without the HDAEnabler.kext.

Only USB (2.0 and 3.0) after Hibernate and LID doesn't work for now. Do you know, what I've to patch to get it working?

Thank you

For USB try to make Ehci Ownership Fix.How to fix EHCI Ownership bug on some BIOS'es

Hi vladlenas,

i've got nearly the same laptop as SteveRings (Dell XPS 17 L702x - i7-2720QM & 3D with Intel Graphics disabled). Currently i got Video working with 1080p Resolution and QE/CI. Only Sound (ALC665 :blink: ), USB 2.0 Ports and some cosmetic things (LID, Hibernate) are not working.

Thank you

Our Audio (ALC665) one in one, distinction will be in HDMIAudio codec and controller. But I think it it will be possible to solve.

Guys having Sandy Bridge, can open a new branch under your platform.

theSLug as you think?

Still not working. I can move the mouse right after resume for 1 second or less, after that keyboard and mouse are freezing. When I press the Power Button, the "Shutdown Menu" appears, but I can't click nor move the mouse/keyboard.

What mode of a sleep at you?

What mode of a sleep at you?

hibernatemode 0 and 3 are working now (maybe because I'm booting with arch=x86_64 now), hibernatemode 1 isn't working but that doesn't matter cause I prefer Suspend-to-RAM (I got an error after resume at the bootloader => secure memory is not supported, press any key to continue with normal boot). USB 3.0 is working after sleep too. I replaced old PXHCD.kext with this one http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=612. Only LID and HDMIAudio are missing now.