[GUIDE] Dell L701X (xps 17 late 2010)

theSlug

460 posts in this topic

Thanks for your mail.

1. My laptop runs the bios with the default settings so I don't notice that the usb emulation option you mentioned :)

2. I don't have EmuVariableUEFI64.efi installed and my machine runs normally. Maybe others need to install the file.

3. I use wifi only, so I forgot to zip the ethernet driver. Sorry about that.

In addition, I have made many fix to the dsdt.aml, and my fan also runs normally. You need to check that whether your cpu is always running at a high frequency so cause a high temperature or there is so much dust stuck inside your machine.

Dear whitegarry,

This is 'avin7000' from InsanelyMac. Since you don't visit that forum often I thought I would reach out to you via email. 

If you remember (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/247741-guide-dell-l701x-xps-17-late-2010/page-23?do=findComment&comment=2095668), I was saying that your config.plist wouldn't work with my laptop and my own config which matches to yours was working. I finally figured out why that is happening and thought of letting you know, so that you may want to update the instructions. 

1. USB Emulation from the BIOS should be disabled, so that keyboard and trackpad works.
2. During clover installation, one must install Driver64UEFI > EmuVariableUEFI64.efi, this step is missing in your instructions. 
3. Not important, but Kexts > 10.10 should include ethernet drivers

So if someone has problem, then these changes should help :)

I also wanted to ask one more thing. My fan is always spinning, is it same case with your's also? 

Thanks & regards,
avin7000

and also is your DSDT.aml is vanilla or have you made any tweaks/fixes? @whitegarry

You need to check that whether your cpu is always running at a high frequency so cause a high temperature or there is so much dust stuck inside your machine.

how to check this? how to check frequency of my laptop while running? and how do I reduce it? 

I don't think there is any dust in my laptop and also it runs fine in Windows 8.1

^will do it.

Btw have you made any changes to DSDT with regarding to power management?

My machine was fine in Mavericks (but then it was different config/kexts). It did shutdown, like once in six months. But not like this.

With Mavericks:

- I was using vladlens kexts and chameleon config

- it would never get hot

- fans were never full speed like now

Now in Yosemite:

- I am using your kexts and config

- sometimes it runs fine. No issues at all. However fan is spinning always

- sometimes graphic performance takes a hit. Suddenly it slows down, takes time to change tab in Safari

- fan starts running full speed and suddenly shutsdown

Could this be a graphic issue?

Shall I patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, by AsusAICPUPM=true in clover?

Note that I am not doing any CPU/GPU intensive task. I am just using chrome with 1 or 2 tabs open. That's all.

Looks like you are right. It is seems to be running at high frequency always and temp is around 75C even for normal usage i.e. only Chrome browser with two tabs open, no youtube or stuff. One tab with Gmail and another insanelymac. And it never going down below 73C.

post-702463-0-93396300-1419784439_thumb.png

what to do? please help guys :(

1. No code added or chaged regarding to power management.
2. I think there is no need to patch AsusAICPUPM.

^will do it.

Btw have you made any changes to DSDT with regarding to power management?

My machine was fine in Mavericks (but then it was different config/kexts). It did shutdown, like once in six months. But not like this.

With Mavericks:
- I was using vladlens kexts and chameleon config
- it would never get hot
- fans were never full speed like now

Now in Yosemite:
- I am using your kexts and config
- sometimes it runs fine. No issues at all. However fan is spinning always
- sometimes graphic performance takes a hit. Suddenly it slows down, takes time to change tab in Safari
- fan starts running full speed and suddenly shutsdown

Could this be a graphic issue?

Shall I patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, by AsusAICPUPM=true in clover?

Note that I am not doing any CPU/GPU intensive task. I am just using chrome with 1 or 2 tabs open. That's all.

Looks like you are right. It is seems to be running at high frequency always and temp is around 75C even for normal usage i.e. only Chrome browser with two tabs open, no youtube or stuff. One tab with Gmail and another insanelymac. And it never going down below 73C.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-28 at 10.02.54 pm.png

what to do? please help guys :(

Is your turbo frequency working normally? Each cpu core should work in the frequency range of 931MHz to 2.93GHz.

I don't know why your cpu and gpu frequency was up to the highest level if your laptop was in an idle task according to your capture.

• 2 weeks later...

There was lots of dust clogged up in my machine and thermal paste had wore off completely. I had it serviced, now it certainly looks better. The idle temperate is 55-60 and Chrome usage never goes beyond 65-70. However if I start playing some videos, the temperature reaching at 85-87C.

what are the temperatures in your laptop? next time when you are watching a movie, can you check after an hour or so?

• 2 months later...