The Fermi "Freeze" Discussion (Possible solutions?)

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

Suixo

Suixo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I've installed the new v7 drivers with 10.6.7. But already got a Freeze. :angry:

It takes about 30~40 min but it happens.

I can't understand what changes from one older version to one newer.

We need new drivers (perhaps for Lion) with the ultimate fix by Nvidia.

Back to wallsaver.... :D

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,098 posts
There are no changes to the driver itself, all they did was update the installer so that it would run on 10.6.7.

I haven't had a single freeze during non-gaming use since upgrading to 10.6.7.

/EDIT

finally, a freeze. F**k.

real3x

real3x

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

0A00DE10 is the nvidia HD audio device on the Geforce GT220, we're replacing that with the ID of the HD audio device on the GTX460.

In my case and i think it's your too :

Posted Image

I patched AppleHDA.kext (from 10.6.2) with : 12 00 DE 10

And

Posted Image

I put the : EB 0B DE 10 (its the pci vendor device id) in the plist of AppleHDAController.kext (in decimal)
<key>PCIVendorDeviceID</key>
<integer>3943423504</integer>

HDMI audio work as expected :

Attached File  HDAU.png   205.55KB   40 downloads

Attached File  codecvendorid.png   152.71KB   21 downloads

(GTX460 GIGABYTE N460OC - 1GI - standard layout)

Freeze is of course still here ...

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Strangely enough, I ended up having to swap motherboards (my EP43-UD3L developed issues with the southbridge), to my old Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi (nothing changed except motherboards) and I have 21hrs and 13minutes of uptime! No vlc running in the background or anything. My KPs also stopped. This is with the v7 driver, which I know isn't a updated driver beyond nvidia tweaking the installer, but, I think whatever was causing the freezing was fixed somehow... (in the driver, I don't think MBs have anything to do with it)

dekz

dekz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
what nvidia drivers are you guys using?

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

what nvidia drivers are you guys using?

I believe the 4000 Quadro drivers for OSX. you can find here:
http://www.nvidia.co...3v7-driver.html

BTW, regarding freezing, having same problem as everyone here:
- freezes in 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 with latest drivers from nivida.
- no cuda installed... anyone know if this makes a difference? I would imagine not, since it serves separate function...

Of course, looped video in VLC works perfectly...

RE: jpa and his BIOS fix, anyone tried it? I will try once I reboot, but it seems somewhat strange that CPU settings will mess up the graphics drivers...

@og-phantom,
could your change be different bios settings? maybe connected to jpa's finding i mentioned above?
Im still getting freeze with the latest driver in 10.6.7, so I wouldn't say its fixed by nvidia yet..

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Damn it! I got a KP today (backtrace to iographicsfamily or similar to that). I did notice, no more freezing, and if I just let it idle, it will idle with no freezing/kps. If I am not looping a video (vlc), and am actively using it, it will KP within an hour. I don't know what's worse, the freezing or the KPs... So, here I am looping video again to avoid the KPs...

EDIT: I did notice, the Gigabyte board had C2/C3/C4 etc. low power settings galore for the CPU. The Asus board only has EIST, SpeedStep and C1(E?). That might have to do with me not freezing anymore, I saw someone here say disabling the C2/C3/C4 fixed the freezing... I dunno...

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
This might be interesting...
http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=76&t=16179
Anyone try this?

Currently I seem stable even without removing AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.
If i crash anytime soon, I will try removing as well...

dekz

dekz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

This might be interesting...
http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=76&t=16179
Anyone try this?

Currently I seem stable even without removing AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.
If i crash anytime soon, I will try removing as well...

what? arch=i386?... i already got that and isnt the installation routine he did a routine everyone should be doing in the first place? execpt for that AppleUpstream kext

whats that appleupstreamuserclient.kext anyway?

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

what? arch=i386?... i allready got that and isnt the installation routine he did a routine everyone should be doing in the first place? execpt for that AppleUpstream kext

whats that appleupstreauserclient.kext anyway?

I guess I should explain what I was thinking:

- I find it interesting that he couldn't even get his machine to be stable for longer than 30 min with 64 bit kernel... Maybe our crashes are then caused by 64bit programs running, even though the kernel is running the stable 32 bit?

- I took into consideration that he used DSDT fixes instead of using kexts. Seems more stable for me, no crashes even without vlc background playing, not sure if its fluke or actually makes a difference...

- for the record, disabled C-states, but enabled speedstep.

- appleupstreauserclient is supposedly a kext that sends commands to nvidia graphics cards. These commands dont exist in PC versions of the cards. A while back they caused mouse lag issues for nvidia users running hackintosh (since the kext would send commands every few seconds that the graphics card wouldn't understand and raise an error). Now, I have a feeling it might be tied to our crashing problem.

What I'm having trouble understanding is how this would connect to the temporary fix: in not letting the video card idle... but maybe the kext is somehow connected? That a question is for someone way more knowledgeable in OSX though...

dekz

dekz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
well, i think cleaning up kexts is always a good thing. I have now tried removing the UpStream kext and will report back on how it goes... dont know, but i have always had 386 in the plist and never touched it. actually thought about changing it to _64... will see how this goes first. Gigabyte 1GB 460GTX.

the freezing is exactly that it does go to idle, i dont think theres a working power management for this card on osx86, and i think the freezing is just caused that it cant get out of idle state. at least thats what ive gathered.

going 35min now... just read ur reply, waiting for it to crash

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

well, i think cleaning up kexts is always a good thing. I have now tried removing the UpStream kext and will report back on how it goes... dont know, but i have always had 386 in the plist and never touched it. actually thought about changing it to _64... will see how this goes first. Gigabyte 1GB 460GTX.

Give it a shot, just for {censored} and giggles see how long it takes...
My machine just crashed, even without the kext and in i386. So that was a bust...

same old error for me:

11-03-27 5:18:30 PM com.apple.WindowServer[104] Sun Mar 27 17:18:30 xxxxx-Mac-Pro.local WindowServer[104] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,098 posts

I patched AppleHDA.kext (from 10.6.2) with : 12 00 DE 10
I put the : EB 0B DE 10 (its the pci vendor device id) in the plist of AppleHDAController.kext (in decimal)

<key>PCIVendorDeviceID</key>
 <integer>3943423504</integer>
HDMI audio work as expected

Thank you very much. I'll correct my post and fix my Hackintosh too.

This doesn't work with AppleHDA versions newer than the one from 10.6.2?

I wonder why LSPCI only shows the 0beb and not the 0012.

There's no way for me to test HDMI audio so I never knew that it wasn't working right.

I have done this:
http://www.projectos...?...ost&p=13583

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
New possible fix I have dug up from the OSx86 Wiki:
(source: http://wiki.osx86pro...php/HCL_10.6.6)

Try pushing PCIe to 102 Mhz (supposedly stops freezes on EVGA superclocked 470 GTX)

anyone?
I got a KP :) but no freezes yet. not sure if they are connected.

Suixo

Suixo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

New possible fix I have dug up from the OSx86 Wiki:
(source: http://wiki.osx86pro...php/HCL_10.6.6)

Try pushing PCIe to 102 Mhz (supposedly stops freezes on EVGA superclocked 470 GTX)

anyone?
I got a KP :) but no freezes yet. not sure if they are connected.

I already did that as many other users in tonymacx86 forum, and didnt worked. After a while it freezes or KP.
The best shot we have right now is the fix mentioned above (link: http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=76&t=16179)

I'm gonna try it as well when I get a chance.

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
After some more digging, I have found a thread talking about people having issues with Fermi cards freezing in windows as well.

One specific thread suggests that it is an incompatibility with some motherboards. I think this explains why some people experience no more issues when swapping motherboards on their hackintoshes.

Apparently, nivida is working on the issue. I just hope that they release whatever update they make for windows drivers to the Quadro mac driver that we are using...

source: http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=187401

EDIT: I would also like to mention there are some other possible fixes that the thread mentions! quoting from the thread:
-Change PnP/PCI Express Maximum Payload Size from 128 to 4096
-Setting PCI-E Frequency either to 100, 103, 105, or 110
-Setting PCI-E Slot wattage to 50, 75 or the highest you can go. If you're blessed enough to have this setting, you're in luck! A lot of people say this solves their issue!
-Setting your PCI-E slot to run at 8x, 4x or 2x instead of 16x. There's usually not BIOS setting for this, it's all automatic.
-Up your IOH Vcore voltage
-NB Voltage: Upping it or sometimes lowering it. You'll have to play around with it.
-HT Link Frequency: Setting this lower can help.
-Zooze seems to have success enabling the USB Keyboard and Mouse Option in the BIOS, so it's worth a shot."

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,098 posts
Everyone with a GTX 460 should join this thread: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253523

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Everyone with a GTX 460 should join this thread: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=253523

I imagine that flashing video card bios MAY void warranty?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,098 posts
No, not at all. The video card manufacturers themselves offer BIOS upgrades for their video cards, for the end user to install.

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

No, not at all. The video card manufacturers themselves offer BIOS upgrades for their video cards, for the end user to install.

What about if you triple boot, will it pose any problems for the other OSs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy