The Fermi "Freeze" Discussion (Possible solutions?)

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Hmm. Well, I've got the card in now but my legacy kext doesn't appear to be working. AGPM isn't loading and after a while I get a KP. Have I missed something?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.LegacyAGPM</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>LegacyAGPM</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>150.12.31</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
  <key>AGPM</key>
  <dict>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.apple.driver.AGPM</string>
   <key>IOClass</key>
   <string>AGPMController</string>
   <key>IONameMatch</key>
   <string>AGPMEnabler</string>
   <key>IOProviderClass</key>
   <string>IOPlatformPluginDevice</string>
   <key>MacPro3,1</key>
   <dict>
	<key>Vendor10deDevice0e22</key>
	<dict>
	 <key>Heuristic</key>
	 <dict>
	  <key>ID</key>
	  <integer>0</integer>
	  <key>IdleInterval</key>
	  <integer>100</integer>
	  <key>SensorOption</key>
	  <integer>1</integer>
	  <key>SensorSampleRate</key>
	  <integer>4</integer>
	  <key>TargetCount</key>
	  <integer>5</integer>
	  <key>Threshold_High</key>
	  <array>
	   <integer>70</integer>
	   <integer>95</integer>
	   <integer>110</integer>
	   <integer>190</integer>
	  </array>
	  <key>Threshold_Low</key>
	  <array>
	   <integer>0</integer>
	   <integer>60</integer>
	   <integer>90</integer>
	   <integer>190</integer>
	  </array>
	 </dict>
	 <key>LogControl</key>
	 <integer>1</integer>
	 <key>control-id</key>
	 <integer>17</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>default-control-id</key>
	<integer>17</integer>
   </dict>
  </dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
  <key>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</key>
  <string>1.1</string>
  <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
  <string>1.0</string>
  <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
  <string>8.3.1</string>
  <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
  <string>8.3.1</string>
  <key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
  <string>8.3.1</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
Well.. I said you could do it, but I never said that it would work.....maybe something has changed in AGPM.kext since I read about this last, or maybe I remember wrong and it's not possible with MacPro3,1 at all.
Or...maybe some other requirement needs to be met that we don't know about. If so, this info is here already for sure..

Try again, but this time use a model identifier in smbios.plist that's already supported in AGPM and edit that. If you have a Core 2 Duo CPU, try iMac9,1. If you have a Core i architecture CPU, try a model identifier from a Mac wich such a CPU (and that's when you delete TyMCE.kext I think).
Maybe it has to match up better..CPU power management + GPU power management.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Yeah I have a C2D. Will vanilla SpeedStep work with iMac9,1? That's the main reason I settled on MacPro3,1.

I'm just trying to think of how many things a model change will break (App Store, iTunes etc)...

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
Yeah that's a good point, I don't know for sure what will happen. My Lion and Snow Leopard installs have been on MacPro3,1 since the beginning, all my experimentation with model identifiers was with Leopard. But I don't remember switching model identifier causing any trouble at the time.

I don't know about the App Store but I believe iTunes uses your Platform UUID (as seen in System Profiler) for something. But this is pulled from somewhere in your motherboard's DMI data and injected by Chameleon. So it will stay the same when you change model identifier.

I had vanilla CPU powermanagement with iMac9,1 before changing to MacPro3,1. You can still find my old posts about it in the Vanilla speedstepping via DSDT thread, this was before Chameleon could do it. I didn't change for any particular reason, I could not get MacPro3,1 to work at all for a long time which was annoying me to no end, and when I finally got it to work I just stuck with it.

Maybe I'll try this myself tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
I was all set to try this but when I booted back into Snow Leopard I got a "nvidia rom patching failed" error and halfway through boot the screen went out. Didn't have this last night. I guess it had one too many KP's. A shutdown and cold boot fixed this.

Changing the model to iMac9,1 worked. AGPM is loading now and I can see it changing states in the kernel.log. So now it finally time to find the best Threshold values (Asus 460GTX 768MB).

And then to fix the boot logo so it displays in 1680x1050 again (I'm thinking this will require a DSDT fix?).

On the downside, speedstepping doesn't seem to be working properly. I use SMC Monitor (MSRTools won't work in 64-bit) and it isn't clocking down like it used to. It'll briefly drop from 2400 to 1600 and then go back to 2400.

And to top that off it's now freezing up and rebooting. No KP, just locks up and then resets...

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
A smooth transition from plague to cholera!

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Yeah gotta love upgrades.

Anyway it's truly screwed up now. I overclocked the CPU from stock 2.4 to 3.2 and now it will only boot into SL from a ##### CD. It craps out and reboots if I try to boot from the hard disk.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Things are working out a bit better now. I think I have a pretty stable system now with my 460GTX. But it might be that I'm not doing the right things in order to trigger a freeze. Here's my AGPM kext if anyone else wants to try it with their card (mine is the Asus ENGTX460 768MB). It's tied to the iMac9,1 identifier.

Attached Files

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
Thanks for sharing, I'll test it when I get some free uninterrupted time.

guitmz

guitmz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
What about GT 555M ?

Anyone?

:(

ncmontas

ncmontas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Just want to share, I had previously getting some of these freeze especially on watching flash and html 5 video on youtube, I just uninstalled/disabling perian and no freeze whatsoever during watching flash and html 5 video and browsing. Will post any updates if freeze manifest during this week.

Lion 1072
GTS 450 1G
ASUS P5kpl am
E8500

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Success!....................... I finally got my first freeze...

Feb  4 16:37:28 iMac kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 0 from 2, ControlID = 17
Feb  4 16:37:32 iMac kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 17
Feb  4 16:37:34 iMac kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 17
Feb  4 16:38:30 iMac kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 0 from 2, ControlID = 17
Feb  4 16:38:33 iMac kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 1 from 0, ControlID = 17
Feb  4 16:38:35 iMac kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 2 from 1, ControlID = 17
Feb  4 16:38:40 iMac kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 1 from 2, ControlID = 17
Feb  4 16:38:42 iMac kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x26 = FECS Err: Watchdog Timeout
Feb  4 16:38:42 iMac kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart
Feb  4 16:38:46 iMac kernel[0]: 0000006e
Feb  4 16:38:46 iMac kernel[0]: 00080000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Feb  4 16:38:46 iMac kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000000 0000000c
Feb  4 16:38:46 iMac kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000081
Feb  4 16:38:46 iMac kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000

I thought this was supposed to happen when the card dropped down to G-state 3, but it didn't here. I guess it's just buggy drivers after all?

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
with me it hangs when getting to the G-state 0, i always thought state 0 is the reason for the fermi freeze.

btw - has anyone tested if the freeze happens in 10.7.3? i don't know if i still have to run the cudatest application

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
That freeze was on 10.7.3. I'll edit my AGPM kext and try to keep it out of G-state 0 and see what happens. I don't think G-state 0 is the problem. This is the highest power state after all.

Though if the freeze is similar to the TDR error on Windows it's probably buggy drivers. I had two of those when I got the card just browsing in Firefox. Downgraded the drivers and haven't had any since.

I think the best we can hope for with an AGPM edit is to keep the card out of G-state 3. Fixing the freeze is going to require nVidia to write decent drivers. And considering how long they've been dodging the TDR issues on Windows I wouldn't hold out hope for a quick solution.

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
yeah, i'm sorry, you are right with the g-state 3. i thought it was g-state 0 because my last freeze occured after a state change from 1 to 0, what is kind of weird now.
i think the information about nvidia buggy drivers is already well-known, i think maybe something new will happen after releasing the new macs, which as far as i know should return back to nvidia graphics cards. let's hope for the best. i don't suppose that some skilled hacker will reverse ingeneer the closed source nvidia drivers :)

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
I'm wondering if we're barking up the wrong tree here with AGPM. After all, it's an Apple kext, not nVidia. And it's just a generic one to power manage various brands and models of card.

Assuming the problem is buggy nVidia drivers, maybe we should be looking at those instead. Has anyone tried replacing the current Lion drivers with earlier versions (perhaps from DP4 or the old SL Quadro ones from nVidia)? Early Lion reports suggested that the freeze was gone so I'm wondering if the DP4 drivers were more stable. I'd try it here but I don't have a sure-fire way to trigger a fermi freeze so it could take a while to verify if it works or not.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
FWIW I've had the Freeze on 10.6 since I bought my GTX 460 last February, so I don't believe the Quadro 4000 drivers for Snow will help with anything.

But yes, during the DP's lots of people reported the Freezing gone.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
I just mentioned those because they were released around the same time as the Windows drivers I'm using (that fixed the TDRs). Of course, the DP's probably had drivers of similar versions but I only downloaded the first one and haven't managed to find the nVidia drivers from the later ones.

There's also that other Apple kext: IONDRVSupport.kext. Anyway replacing the drivers with DP ones might be an avenue to explore. Maybe there's a set that work well (or maybe a mixture if that would work). Some iMac and MacBook users even went as far as to delete NVDAResman.kext at one point to fix crashes and artifacting.

Have you ever updated the BIOS on the 460? This patch updated my BIOS (tweaked a couple of voltages). I applied this and downgraded the drivers at the same time when I experienced the TDRs so I'm not sure which had the most effect, but I'm leaning towards the drivers.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
Yeah I tried that last year but apparently my ENGTX460 doesn't have Hynix memory, the updater won't run. I know I can force flash it with NVFlash but I don't feel like flashing my card to fix an issue in an OS that's not even supposed to run on it in the first place.

I had those annoying "display driver restarts" a while back on Windows 7 while using Firefox, but they are gone now, either updating Firefox or using Beta drivers has fixed it.

What does IONDRVSupport.kext do anyway?

sparkythewondersquid

sparkythewondersquid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Hello all I have suffered from the freeze and reading a post at "Tonymac X86 I found that running Cuda test app (attached here) I run it at around 50 triangles per screen flash and have not had a freeze in 3 days of running on Nvidia GTX 460M and has little affect on temp and CPU I take no credit for this work around

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy