The Fermi "Freeze" Discussion (Possible solutions?)

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

jamezelle

jamezelle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Doesn't matter what i run, flash or not. Still get this random freezes in 10.7.2 also.

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
i get freezes mostly only when playing youtube videos... i suppose youtube has its videos encoded in such a way, that the videos are being rendered using the graphics card, not the CPU... no idea what to do with that, maybe if flash had some hidden settings somewhere, so i could turn this feature off... any ideas?

i've disabled hw acceleration in flash, first youtube videos look normal, maybe it'll work

oSxFr33k

oSxFr33k

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Interests:Sound and Graphic Design. Electronics in general.
I know you will find this difficult to believe but I was getting these random freezes with my GTX 560M card, I would get kernel panic with the NvHal100 kext and sometimes alps. I later found out the VoodooHDA I was using was causing the issues. Some Audio script or who knows may have been accessing the HDMI nvidia Audio component and then freeze.

I may be way off on that theory but ever since I found a great working copy from kexts.com not ONE single freeze or kernel panic since.

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
nope, my problem is flash related. i have no voodoohda kext. i had no freezes since i've disabled flash hw acceleration, it has to be something wrong with the display driver (i believe it is in the NVDA part, if that's the correct name)

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hello together.... is there still no other solution as running a low rez video in the background ?
ive got an evga 560 ti on 10.7.2 and tried every driver or workarround. with and without cuda...

RastaFeri

RastaFeri

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
as far as i know, not... still waiting for a fix as well

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Fermi Freeze here on GTX 460 on a clean install of 10.7.2.

As on Snow Leopard, Cuda Clock Rate pumping out triangles in the background "fixes" it.

slapstick82

slapstick82

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Isn't there a partial solution that involves modifying the levels and power states the card jumps in and out of? I don't think you can use MacPro3.1 profile, though.

I've got GTX 580 and have done these things and I no longer get freezes. From time to time going in and out of launchpad is very very slightly delayed but once I open it once the gfx card kicks in and it's really quick.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Yes, you can use MacPro3,1 if you modify AGPM accordingly.

slapstick82

slapstick82

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Yes, you can use MacPro3,1 if you modify AGPM accordingly.

Hmm I didn't know that.. AppleGraphicsPowerManagement wouldn't load for me when I used MacPro3,1.

As a further bit of information, this is what I use for my GTX 580:

<key>Threshold_High</key>
	  <array>
	   <integer>90</integer>
	   <integer>165</integer>
	   <integer>182</integer>
	   <integer>200</integer>
	  </array>
	  <key>Threshold_Low</key>
	  <array>
	   <integer>0</integer>
	   <integer>168</integer>
	   <integer>175</integer>
	   <integer>195</integer>
	  </array>

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Yes, that's what I meant by 'accordingly'.. the idea is to replace one of the model identifiers in AGPM.kext with MacPro3,1 and then edit the thresholds under that. AGPM will now load because you have added a match for MacPro3,1.

You could also use "EasterBunny2,6" for model identifier in smbios.plist, then add EasterBunny2,6 to AGPM.kext and edit that. Of course that would break lots of other stuff but you get the idea.

slapstick82

slapstick82

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, though. Would Santa2,6 work? :)

Chief9999

Chief9999

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Been trying on and off with a evga 450 GTS and a sandybridge chip set.. I really need it to work under 10.6.8 can you help...

Kostia234

Kostia234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
@Chief9999 Dont have a 450 myself, but it should be possible to get the card working... Sandi Bridge I am not sure about.

Why not Lion though? The support for both sandi & fermi is much better...

TheDub

TheDub

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I'm not so sure the Power States actually change all that much other then the performance of the card. It seems I get the best performance by choosing MacPro4,1 and then in AGPM going under MacPro4,1 (search for it) then where Device10deVendorXXXX (don't quote that) change XXXX to 0e22 (VID for GTX 460 in my case) and reboot. Suddenly UI animations are smooth and performance is up to a generally acceptable level.

Fermi Freezes are identified with this error:
NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x26 = FECS Err: Watchdog Timeout

After some research on what this Watchdog thing is I found a article, actually several that explain it:
http://randomcontrol.../Watchdog_Timer

It seems in Windows this timer can be disabled with a registry modification. If in OS X the watchdog works the same way as Windows it's killing applications that lock the display driver for "too long". Perhaps it's killing our kernel? or perhaps it's killing the display driver itself?

I think... if we could disable this Watchdog Timer or increase it's timeout from 1-2 seconds to idk 4-10 maybe that would solve the problem? I'm not sure what that would require or what that would entail. I'm going to keep digging around but perhaps a dev could find out more about this...

It has something to do with CUDA..

TheDub

TheDub

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Another note does anyone know what Exception Type = 0x26 is? I'm still digging but I'm not finding any good documentation on the driver is trying to tell us...

Chief9999

Chief9999

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
sorry for the slow reply first reply Lion does not run all my legacy programs I need for my business so for now I'm running SL and I did put a 10.7.2 lino partition up but safari would freeze after about 10 minutes. So back to my trusty 9800 gt My 60 days is almost up on my return window to new egg and I'd hate to send it back
also the sandy bridge works very well in s/l not sure what was better supported in lion

ga z68 xp ud 3
9800 gt and when I get brave the fermi gts 450 evga
every crash I have had in 10.6.8 and 10.7.2 went away after changing my video card

used the nvida drivers and watched them load in verbose mode have time to play with it today if anyone has gotten them to run rock solid please post how I'll try again this week

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
I'm planning on replacing my 8800GT with a 460GTX in the coming days (got the card, just waiting on the PSU). I've put together a legacy AGPM kext that injects the MacPro3,1 identifier and the device id for the 460 so I'm hoping this will help a little with the freezing. I don't use my hackintosh all that much these days but it would be nice if it kept working. Still on 10.6.8 btw.

I've seen suggestions to delete a couple of kexts from /S/L/E. I think it was AppleTyMCE and AppleUpstreamUserClient. Is it necessary to delete these?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Not if you use MacPro3,1.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
Great. I'd rather not have to go deleting kexts if at all possible. So I guess it's just a matter of putting in the card and then tweaking the Threshold values till I see what works best. I already have the nVidia drivers installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy