The Fermi "Freeze" Discussion (Possible solutions?)

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

momavujisic

momavujisic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Hackintosh & Battlefield
Made this thread generally to see how many people with a fermi card are getting random kernel panics after installing either the quadro drivers or tonymac's drivers.

I believe and I encounter the freeze whenever the card goes "idle" meaning that I'm not doing anything that requires graphics like reading news, typing documents, ect.

Using an eVGA GTX 460 1GB

Solutions that I have read:

- Running iTunes in visualizor mode.
- Using an active screensever as your wallpaper.
- Looping a video in the background.

So please! Share your experiences and post your solutions if you have any!

Currently I'm using the iTunes method, I just throw iTunes in visualizor mode and put it in another Space and it works. Painless solution but would still like a true solution.

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I am also having the GTX 460 freezing issues. Currently I am also using the iTunes spaces temp fix or I run a video with VLC in a separate space. I am waiting for nVidia to fix this issue...

articman

articman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm trying a solution:
I play a blank video with VLC (made with iMovie. 4 seconds of black frames) in background in repeat mode.
My Hackintosh stropped to crash!
I tryed also with glxgears, and the result was the same!
Can you try this solution?
In this case, we might have an operating Hackintosh!

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Yes, this is the temp solution for us 460 owners until nvidia puts out updated drivers with better Fermi (GF104) support...

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
If the problem is that the 460 freezes when it's idle then maybe it can be 'fixed' by modifying the card's BIOS or maybe even AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

I've been doing some reading because I'm about to buy a 460 (again.. I hope I don't hit any parked busses this time) and I found that there's an issue with some 460 cards where they will lock up when left idle at the Windows login screen. This is "fixed" by disabling the cards HD audio device in the Windows Device Manager.

Maybe someone should try that on a Hackintosh, ie do whatever is necessary to make sure no drivers are loaded for the HD audio. If that's even possible.

EDIT.. yes it is, someone with a 460 GTX should look into it:
http://forum.voodoop...pic,1834.0.html
If using VoodooHDA:
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=220707

DukeRaoul

DukeRaoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Power Mac G5 reincarnated as C2D: <br /><br />GA-EP43-UD3l<br />Pentium...
It's good that people are finding workarounds to that issue, but I would not recommend using the iTunes visualizer.
Have you ever checked Activity Monitor while the visualizer is running? It uses up a lot of CPU power, far more than it uses your video card. I actually use the visualizer (sometimes) as a CPU stress-test to verify overclocking stability - iTunes Classic visualizer, FPS limiter off, low quality off.
With all the limitations off, the visualizer can get my dual-core CPU up to 80 or 90% of max continuously. With the FPS cap on, it certainly uses less but it's still significant.
Other readers are posting that this could be caused by an HD Audio component of the HDMI... maybe try disabling VoodooHDA or any other audio drivers as a test for that?
I would like to test this myself, but I don't actually own a 460 yet - waiting for Crysis 2 :D

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

If the problem is that the 460 freezes when it's idle then maybe it can be 'fixed' by modifying the card's BIOS or maybe even AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

I've been doing some reading because I'm about to buy a 460 (again.. I hope I don't hit any parked busses this time) and I found that there's an issue with some 460 cards where they will lock up when left idle at the Windows login screen. This is "fixed" by disabling the cards HD audio device in the Windows Device Manager.

Maybe someone should try that on a Hackintosh, ie do whatever is necessary to make sure no drivers are loaded for the HD audio. If that's even possible.

EDIT.. yes it is, someone with a 460 GTX should look into it:
http://forum.voodoop...pic,1834.0.html

I don't know if the audio (HDMI) is the issue... I am using a modifed (plist) of the AppleHDA (ALC888) for my Gigabyte onboard audio. AFAIK the nvidia audio is not being initialized in OSX...

DukeRaoul

DukeRaoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Power Mac G5 reincarnated as C2D: <br /><br />GA-EP43-UD3l<br />Pentium...
Possible fix for these cards, if the problem is related to HDMI Audio in the card causing the KP/freeze:

http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1596208

If you are using VoodooHDA, it is very likely picking up HDMI Audio from your GTX460. If you could at all get by without using HDMI audio and use the onboard sound instead, try blocking the HDMI audio from loading in VoodooHDA with the linked method above.
Note that I cannot confirm for sure that HDMI audio is causing the freeze issue, but from reading the boards many people seem to think it is.
Also I didn't get a 460 so I can't test myself to help out (ended up getting an HD 5770, not as good but more compatible).

The VoodooHDA-HDMI audio skip thing is basically done by using the special driver posted to the above link, which is recompiled to include a device-skip key in the Info.plist - you use lspci or System Info to find the vendor/device ID of the HDMI AUDIO component of your card, then put the IDs into the skip part of the Info.plist .... read the linked post above thoroughly for the details.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
I finally got my ASUS 1GB 460 GTX card. ;)

It seems to work fine in 10.6.6 with Chameleon GraphicsEnabler and the latest Nvidia drivers so far. I have not made any modifications to anything, it just works.

I'm looping a H.264 video in VLC to avoid freezing. It works even when running hidden in the background, it's not necessary to use Spaces or a secondary display.
I played through a map in Left 4 Dead 2 without VLC running but then it froze on me while the next map was loading (!) so now I keep VLC running all the time and that takes care of it completely.

In the OpenGL Extensions Viewer test I get just a few hundred FPS more than my 9800GTX+ got on identical settings.

I get shitty scores on the first test while the card ramps up the clocks. The 9800GTX+ never did that.

Interestingly, my OpenGL Extensions Viewer scores are 3-500 FPS lower on 64-bit Windows 7 - I took care to duplicate the settings.

There must be a way to modify the 460's BIOS so that it never enters the lowest power state.

NiBiTor can't read the BIOS dump (dumped with GPU-Z) correctly and the clock rates, voltages and timings settings are grayed out.

If I open the BIOS for my card as downloaded from mvktech.net it doesn't complain about the BIOS itself but all the settings are still grayed out, I can't change anything.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
OpenGL Extensions Viewer scores, 10.6.6 vs. Windows 7. Both 64-bit, latest nvidia drivers.
Attached File  GTX460_10.6.6.png   103.72KB   277 downloads
Attached File  OGL_Extensions_Viewer_Windows.png   33.7KB   220 downloads

AFAIK the nvidia audio is not being initialized in OSX...

Yeah you're right, no driver is loaded, but this is definitely the HD audio device right here:
Attached File  GTX_460_HD_Audio.png   146.45KB   229 downloads

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
Okay, so I'm going to try the opposite of what I initially suggested in this thread!

With inspiration from a post by iFabio over at the ProjectOSX forums, I now have "HDMI / DisplayPort Output" under Built-In Audio in System Profiler:
Attached File  GTX_460_HDMI_Audio.png   16.11KB   34 downloads
Open System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA in a hex editor and replace the four instances of 0A00DE10 with EB0BDE10.

0A00DE10 is the nvidia HD audio device on the Geforce GT220, we're replacing that with the ID of the HD audio device on the GTX460.

But my "pci10de,beb@0,1" in IORegistryExplorer is not attached to anything yet. Probably needs some DSDT code as well? It's too bad I have no HDMI display to test this with.

This is all wrong. The correct way is here:
http://www.projectos...?...=465&st=118

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
[deleted everything here, it was wrong]

btw S3 sleep works fine and I have no kernel panics.

Attached Files

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
I take that back, I just had my first Fermi kernel panic while doing nothing special:
Mar  7 04:00:13 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x26 = FECS Err: Watchdog Timeout
Mar  7 04:00:25 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: 0000006e
Mar  7 04:00:25 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: 00080000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Mar  7 04:00:25 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000000 0000000a
Mar  7 04:00:25 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000081
Mar  7 04:00:25 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000
Mar  7 04:00:31 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

However, I've had no freezes since loading my video card BIOS with Chameleon.
GPU-Z is unable to extract it properly (according to nibitor) so I downloaded a copy from mvktech.net. You can also use NVFlash from a DOS bootable flash drive to extract it.
For the GTX 460, name it 10de_0e22.rom and place it in /Extra. Add VBIOS=y and UseNvidiaROM=y to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

With the ROM loaded, uptime was ~2 hours with no freezes and without running VLC in the background.

/EDIT

F**k this, I just had a freeze with VBIOS loaded while playing Minecraft. This is so random...really hard to troubleshoot.

Carstiman

Carstiman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello, i´ve got a GTS450 and does it in the same way.

but i think i need a LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver to get HDMI working with my ALC883

Mar  6 16:39:35 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == hdaGfxCandidate" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 1055 goto Exit
	Mar  6 16:39:36 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: NVDAGF100HAL loaded and registered.
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: ound assertion "0 == physicalWidgetArray[index]" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/nVidia/AppleHDAWidgetMCP79.cpp" at line 64 goto Exit
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/nVidia/AppleHDAFunctionGroupMCP79.cpp" at line 72 goto Exit
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 338 goto ExitError
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == physicalWidgetArray[index]" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/nVidia/AppleHDAWidgetMCP79.cpp" at line 64 goto Exit
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/nVidia/AppleHDAFunctionGroupMCP79.cpp" at line 72 goto Exit
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 338 goto ExitError
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == physicalWidgetArray[index]" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/nVidia/AppleHDAWidgetMCP79.cpp" at line 64 goto Exit
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 338 goto ExitErrorSound assertion "0 == physicalWidgetArray[index]" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/nVidia/AppleHDAWidgetMCP79.cpp" at line 64 goto Exit
	Mar  6 16:39:37 mac-intels-Mac kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 338 goto ExitErrorSound assertion "0 == physicalWidgetArray[index]" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/nVidia/AppleHDAWidgetMCP79.cpp" at line 64 goto Exit

but for now it the best way for me with less freezes

Attached Files

jpa

jpa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
Stop freeze

in BIOS
CPU Enhanced Halt -> disabled
CPU C3/C6/C7 State Support -> disabled

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
Seriously?

What video card do you have and what model identifier do you use?

I'll try that and report back. I kind of like my C-states though.

jpa

jpa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Seriously?

What video card do you have and what model identifier do you use?

I'll try that and report back. I kind of like my C-states though.

Stop freeze

in BIOS
CPU Enhanced Halt -> disabled
CPU C3/C6/C7 State Support -> disabled

works in varios models....

My model works with changes..
http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=81&t=11221

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
Hmm no freezes since disabling C-states, but two kernel panics.
It's the same KP as I posted earlier - except none of these showed any register data.

All three times I've had this kernel panic (OpenGL channel exception, Watchdog timeout) was while using Firefox.
It always happens the same way, when the mouse pointer is a hand. I can move the hand pointer around for a short while but I cannot click on anything and then it panics.

C1E and C-state tech settings are now disabled in the BIOS and in Chameleon with GenerateCStates=n. I also re-extracted my SSDT tables with C-states disabled using Everest, and replaced the ones I was using before in /Extra. I'm sure it's really disabled, Cstate info disappeared from ioreg and I'm getting the "C-state evaluation failed" message in kernel.log.

/EDIT

I just got a freeze followed by a reboot. No kernel panic. Going to enable C-states again, disabling them didn't work for me.

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Can someone else try this, I am running 10J869 and Retail_256.01.00f03v2 drivers. I forgot to loop VLC after I reboooted last night, came to the hack this morning, just fine, no freezing. 9:29 uptime, almost all of which was idle time (reboot, went to bed after update to 10J869)... ????

EDIT: Notice the v2 drivers... I have several folders with drivers, these are the OLDER nvidia drivers. The new ones are v5. I was tired when I ran the update and restored my audio and video kexts... Maybe just the v5 drivers have the freezing issues?????

EDIT2: Damn it! Just got a KP (but no freeze)! Backtrace was to the NVDAResman and the GF100Hal (IOPCIGraphics and something else was all mentioned). So, the older v2 drivers cause random KPs for me at least... Someone else might want to try them anyway...

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
No freeze or panic yet on 10.6.7 with the latest nvidia drivers. So far 3 hours uptime, including some OpenGL gaming.

*crosses fingers*

EDIT

Good ol' Fermi Kernel panic after 4 1/2 hours, while playing Left 4 Dead 2:
Mar 22 20:33:43 Gringos-MacPro kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x26 = FECS Err: Watchdog Timeout
It happened in the same spot as last time, while loading the next level. Played through 3 chapters of an episode without incident.

Still, it looks like there are no more freezes or anything during non-gaming use. no VLC running in the background.

/EDIT

Nice, 17 hours uptime! I left it on during the night, downloading. It's still running but I have to reboot now.

/EDIT

freeze still happening, but most definitely less frequent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy