Cant change the resolution of my Hackintosh

Backslashx50

3 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm Backslash, new here.

I recently installed Mac successfully on my Gigabyte Motherboard and everything works fine, there is just one problem. I can change the resolution! when I try to, the only option that is there is 1024x768, when I need 1920x1200 (my monitor resolution). I tried SwitchResX but when I change and it asks me to reboot, I open it after rebooting and it says "failed - invalid?" which is very annoying. Any help I can get on this?

Are you booting 32-bit or 64-bit? OSX version? To do this, try to type 'arch=i386' or '-x32' at the first bootloader window and right after the first single keystroke for most Chameleon flavours. Forcing 32-bit may load a graphics driver that actually will attach.

If you go into SystemProfiler (Apple -> about this Mac -> More Info) and select your Graphics/Displays, if it says "no kext loaded" then that might be your problem. Then take note of the Vendor ID and Device ID, and then try and find the .kext/Contents/ subdirectory in /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions and text edit [Driver].kext/Contents/Info.plist, often, you will see a list of PCI Vendor/DeviceID strings associated with the <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> list of devices your kext is supposed to work with. If your vendor/devID string isn't on the list, then that could be why your screen is locked to one size. You're not loading the driver you should be and you're probably running the VESA compatible default driver that only supports 4:3 aspect ratio in 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 and possibly 1600x1200 if this is similar to the Xorg framebuffer size settings.

I found that my vendor and devID for my Shuttle k45 were supported by the AppleIntelGMA950.kext and it's installed by default in Snow Leopard Retail SW media, but for the life of me, and many others, the graphics was stuck in 4:3 aspect ratio stretched and blurry on my widescreen. But I noticed in SystemProfiler that all my kernel and modules were running 64-bit. So I decided to try forcing to 32-bit and suddenly, everything worked smoothly and I now have lots of sizes to choose from. And even my weird sudo and su-root problems with UUID Error 35 went away. (Which tells me how buggy the 64-bit support is for OSX auth modules might be!)

Your mileage may vary of course!