Great news everyone

RevoX

32 posts in this topic

I can confirm, I have gotten leopard running on my iMac g3 350mhz, first boot after install wasnt working right just showed gray apple screen and that music was playing. I restarted and went into safe mode, booted to login, logged in and poof there was the desktop, I figured it might be the kexts. So i booted into single user mode, mounted the drive typed kextcache -e and then rebooted. Leopard started up fine with no real problems and then I went to click on ichat 4 and :angel: it crashed. right now installing xcode 3 so I will know more for u all in a bit. If you are interested in this, AIM me at anthonyleblanc@mac.com there is a file you must edit before installing this. :(

Safari - crashes

adiumx - works

Here is what I did to get Leopard running on iMac G3

1). Get the Leopard WWDC Preview

2). Create Leopard WWD image (cdrom master) in disk utility

3). Mount the image - go into system - installation - packages - osinstall.mpkg (show contents) - contents and replace OSinst.dist with the one below

4). G3 OSinstall.dist

5). Close the mounted dvd image and copy it to another computer for safe keeping (Burning it? skip to Number 14)

6). Boot your panther/tiger install cd

7). Open Disk Utility in Mac OS X Installer create a 2 partition setup with partition 1 being any size and partition 2 being 10gb

8). Install Panther/Tiger onto partition 1

9). If tiger is installed update it to 10.4.2

9a). Go get Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)

10). Transfer the dvd image to your newly installed panther/tiger

11). Use CCC to copy the dvd image to partition 2 (10gb) (make sure CCC is set to create bootable drive in preferences)

12). Set start up disk to partition 2 (10gb)

13). Reboots into the leopard installer

14). Install Leopard

15). When it reboots make sure you hold down shift after the mac sound

16). Do the registration (might crash at the end)

17). Login and reboot again

18). Reboot into Single user mode (apple/cmd S)

19). Mount the drive (/sbin/mount -wu /)

20). Do a kextcache -e

21). Reboot and you should be booted right into Leopard WWDC Preview.

Some apps do not work, safari and ichat both crash for me.

Get info may or may not work. Depends on your g3 mac I think.

Ok basically you're telling me this:

I need to remove all references to G3 in the OSinstall.dist file, correct?

After that I'll be burning to DL DVD anyway so no need to worry about those steps.

It's really that simple?

Ok basically you're telling me this:

I need to remove all references to G3 in the OSinstall.dist file, correct?

After that I'll be burning to DL DVD anyway so no need to worry about those steps.

It's really that simple?

yes

also i posted the link to my osinstall.dist so go ahead and replace the one on the dvd.

I dont see why would you want to run such an advanced os in a very old machine.

Because is not so revolutionary if we compare it to Tiger and Tiger was not so advanced than Panther....and knowing that Tiger runs without problems on old G3s (B&W G3s included Old world G3)...for example, why not to try leopard on a B&W G3 ?

Because is not so revolutionary if we compare it to Tiger and Tiger was not so advanced than Panther....and knowing that Tiger runs without problems on old G3s (B&W G3s included Old world G3)...for example, why not to try leopard on a B&W G3 ?

I'd assume that Leopard makes use of Altivec for the PowerPC side (SSE stuff for the Intel side) and the G3 doesn't have Altivec.

Safari and iChat both crash? That's very, very bad news for G3 owners, because it proves that Apple has deliberately chosen to compile applications without support for G3s. Probably even more applications and maybe even essential frameworks like Quicktime will be compiled this way and then there won't be an XPostFacto for the G3 anymore. When 10.3 removed support for the 604 processors, 604 owners HAD to upgrade. You cannot use a 604 Mac without G3 upgrade with Panther or Tiger, not even with XPostFacto.

The only thing that would help would be an Altivec emulator for the G3. I doubt anyone would spend the time to write that, and even if someone did, it would be slow as hell (at least in "demanding" applications like Quicktime).

That means if you have a G3 Mac that cannot be upgraded to a G4 (e.g. an iBook G3), you're totally out of luck.

I agree with you, the system requirements for Leopard is just plain artificial and its Apples way of encouraging users to buy a new Mac. Its all about the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Darwinuser for his tutorial on installing Leopard to a G3. I only made two or three attempts at it using a couple of the other tutorials on this forum before having good luck with Darwinuser's. Carbon Copy Cloner made all the difference as well as using YOUR OSInstall.dat, as when I edited mine, I don't know if there was more about the G3 being a 'Bad CPU' further into the script that I missed or if by using vim as root if I changed the permissions somehow or what... I converted my DMG of which I nailed off the net on a 64-bit AMD 3200+ and ftp'd it to my iMac and made the DMG into a read and write dmg. I edited OSInstall.dat in vim from Terminal.app, saved it with !wq and then Disk Utility copied it over, no go... Start-up Disk detects it as 10.5...no problems there... Oh, I forgot to say partition wise, I was dual-booting OS 9.2.2 and Panther to begin with, but I formated the 9.2.2 partition to Carbon Copy Clone the origonal Leopard DMG too, the only modification I nade to the DMG that made it work as authenticate drag and dropping Darwinuser's OSInstall.dat file and the other thing that made the difference was on both your source DMG drive that is mounted and on the target partition that you are cloning too, you must verify that ignore permissions in the 'Get Info' window are NOT checked on. As in you want it to NOT ignore the permissions on both of these drives. etc. That one detail alone makes the difference with Carbon Copy Cloner so..

My machine I did this on was a lone iMac DV with a 400mhz G3 MCX750x and 640mb Ram, and an 8MB VRAM ATI Rage 128 and a slot-feed CD/DVD-Rom. Lime Green iMac. etc. 60 Gb Maxtor Hard drive too. Hard drive and Ram are the only after market things on this machine from how it came factory stock.

I can confirm that Safari.app and iChat.app are both broken for me too. As well as the Spaces.app preferences inside Exposé & Spaces Preferences. Time Machine I have gotten to back up sucessfully JUST my /Users directory as there wasn't space for anything else it seems. Oh and the other thing I did was that install of formating my Panther partition that I installed Leopard too, instead I archived and installed Leopard so... Another reason why I didn't have much free space left over. Personal choice on that one though. I strangley can't get Safari, iChat, or Time Machine to work as demo'd at WWDC. They will all open up and then crash and ask about sending an error report, ignore, or reopen. Common sense, don't send an error report if you pirated Leopard, not to promote pirating in any way. Just...common sense...yeah.... Anyways, so yeah, Leopard's running.... Not really worth it on a G3 though... I can see why Apple made the move they did about not supporting them. An Altivec emulator would defenitley be a bonus for us G3 users, all the broken apps should in theory be able to work just fine and such. As for now....sweet to have! Defenitate bonus... But I'm probably going to switch back to Panther in a week or so... I'd do it now but I wanna give things at least a week to see if I can correct some of the problems in leopard. broken features etc. Get to know how to use some of the new features etc. The one thing I'm happy to say about Leopard though........FIREFOX works! :D lol.

You can't tell me that running Tiger on a G3 is plesant. I've run Panther and Tiger on a 350mhz B&W G3 I have lying around here, and its slower than a snail with a limp.

So why even bother with Leopard on a G3? It'll be slow as hell, especially with Time machine and Core Animation going.

And as for the comment about apple are only doing this to make people upgrade, COME ON!! the G3 has been around since the Pentium 2 days! You don't see people running a Pentium 2 workstation do you?

give it enough memory and a decent hardisk and any pentium2 will run XP fine (as fine as XP is but that not the cpu's fault) the CPU is not the major factor is OS performance.

Im runing tiger on my biegeG3 (it dates back to when none MMX pentiums could still be bought new :blink: ) and it runs tiger fine even with QE enabled. I wouldnt use it for rendering or editing videos but for surfing, email and bittorrent it does fine, it will even cope with a bit of light photoshop.

You can't tell me that running Tiger on a G3 is plesant. I've run Panther and Tiger on a 350mhz B&W G3 I have lying around here, and its slower than a snail with a limp.

So why even bother with Leopard on a G3? It'll be slow as hell, especially with Time machine and Core Animation going.

You probably haven't got enough memory in your B&W G3. Upgrade it to at least 512 MB and it will be usable for many tasks again. Then, there were 900MHz G3 iBooks and iMacs which are a lot faster than your B&W G3.

By the way, 10.1 was faster than 10.0, 10.2 was faster than 10.1, 10.3 was way faster than 10.2 and 10.4 is certainly not slower than 10.3 if you have enough memory. So of course you'll want to run Tiger on a G3, because it's the fastest version of OS X for the G3 you can get.

Now Leopard will no longer run on G3s and that's a pity, because: why not let the owners of these machines decide if it runs fast enough?

Imagine your father still uses his old G3, only for e-mailing and writing, so he has no real reason to upgrade. But often he calls you and asks, how can I do xyz in Word? It would be really helpful if he could simply share his screen with you (without specially configuring the firewall etc.) With Leopard, that would be possible. So maybe he would pay the $129 for the screen sharing feature in iChat alone, and he would not want to use any other new Leopard features. But now, this is not an option, because the software will not run on his old G3.

Of course, this applys to very few users and you cannot expect Apple to spend a lot of money for G3 compatibility if only very few people will make use of it, but the point is that it would cost Apple almost nothing to keep G3 compatibility. It's not a technical decision to stop supporting G3s.

give it enough memory and a decent hardisk and any pentium2 will run XP fine (as fine as XP is but that not the cpu's fault) the CPU is not the major factor is OS performance.

Im runing tiger on my biegeG3 (it dates back to when none MMX pentiums could still be bought new :D ) and it runs tiger fine even with QE enabled. I wouldnt use it for rendering or editing videos but for surfing, email and bittorrent it does fine, it will even cope with a bit of light photoshop.

That's an interesting statement, as QE does not work (even hacked) on Beige G3s in any way shape or form. But a B&W G3 with a QE compatible card is actually quite good running Tiger - though Spotlight indexing will bring the system to a crawl. Without a QE card though, Tiger is unusable.

That's an interesting statement, as QE does not work (even hacked) on Beige G3s in any way shape or form. But a B&W G3 with a QE compatible card is actually quite good running Tiger - though Spotlight indexing will bring the system to a crawl. Without a QE card though, Tiger is unusable.

Bull. I used a 500MHz G3 B&W w/ 512MB with Tiger (10.4.5 was the last version I had on it before I sold it) with a 16MB non QE video card and Tiger ran pretty damn good. Hell I used to sit and watch DVD's on it and stream video to it from my MythTV box without and issues.

The GF's 500MHz G3 iBook w/ 640 RAM and an 8MB video card run Tiger (10.4.7) quite smoothly as well.