"the Complete Package"

krasi

28 posts in this topic

Does anyone now with the new 10.5 if you install it on a non-IR mac and non-iSight mac that you can still use either front row or photobooth? I know photobooth won't work w/o a camera equipped but will front row work w/o an IR sensor on a mac or even install.

At this point, they have not been included on the Installation DVD, however Apple has stated that Leopard will come with Frontrow, meaning that it should work for all systems regardless of the hardware configuration.

Right now, one can use everything that Frontrow has to offer with the use of a small patch.

Wow. I have tested it on three systems (one Powerbook G4, one iMac G5, and one Mac Mini Dual-Core)

Both the iMac G5 and the Mini came with Front Row in Tiger, however with reinstalling with Leopard, I could find no Frontrow, through Applications, Spotlight, Keyboard & Mouse or anywhere else.

Perhaps I missed it. Where is it located?

Additionally, what is the Version?

At this point, they have not been included on the Installation DVD, however Apple has stated that Leopard will come with Frontrow, meaning that it should work for all systems regardless of the hardware configuration.

Right now, one can use everything that Frontrow has to offer with the use of a small patch.

so thats why i see no hotkey for front row or anything on my mac. well that makes sense then. thanks.

Ok, it looks like front row is installed, however it does not have an application launcher (makes sense as the current one does not). It is stored in /System/Library/CoreServices

However, I can not find a way to get it to "activate/run"

Kazuran, do you have Frontrow working on your Leopard installation?

If so, how did you go about enabling it?

I have checked Keyboards & Mice in System Preferences, and it does not list Frontrow as an option. Additionally, when I attempt to manually launch Front Row.app from /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app, but had no success.

The shortcut, for me, is located under the Keyboard preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts tab, all the way down to the bottom. It's default is some weird icon + command (a circle with an arrow going to the upperleft corner). While the keyboard shortcut doesn't always work, you just open it a second time in Coreservices, and Force Quit the process in Activity Monitor. Strangely, it now starts.

I am also trying to get Desktop Sharing to work in iChat, but it doesn't seem to work at all. Has anyone succeeded in not getting a greyed out cube? iChat me at 68695151 to test it all out.

Kazuran, what system are you using to get Frontrow working?

Did you perform an upgrade from Tiger to Leopard?

Was it immediately avaliable when pressing CMD-ESC or was it something that needed to be enabled in some way?

No enabling, just doesn't work from time to time, and needs the above steps to 'poke' it to life. It's the only workaround I have found to killall'ing it and restarting the app with (if you say so :pirate2:) CMD + ESC. This is on a MBP, I have done a clean install.

Ah, I found the problem...

Frontrow still requires a system with a remote. I was doing the majority of my testing on a G4 powerbook after I tried CMD-ESC'ing the other two with no success.

Tried them again after first running Frontrow from CoreServices and they work.

Perhaps we should post a guide over here for getting frontrow to work under all macs.

BTW, Frontrow is still 1.2.2

NOTE TO EVERYONE!

Do not use Andrew Escobar's Frontrow Enabler on Leopard.

Non-IR Equipped Macs will not run Frontrow out of the box at this time.

Using the Frontrow Enabler will SEVERELY screw your system up, to the point where you can not access any PrefPanes, the clock and all status icons dissapear, many apps will no longer run and you will be unable to connect to the internet over a Wireless Network.

In turn, you will start getting a ton of 

Metadata.framework(Error): failed to find bootstrap port for com.apple.metadata.mds

In your console log, and running many apps will fail and give you an error message simmilar to 

unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0xCA 0xFE 0xBA 0xBE 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02  - nil bundle identifier!

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

well Apple better label there software better because if I can't use Front Row on my mac then it is not the complete package because certain apps are getting stripped out so that is useless and should be named something else. something like the amost complete package depending on what mac you have.

NOTE TO EVERYONE!

Using the Frontrow Enabler will SEVERELY screw your system up, to the point where you can not access any PrefPanes, the clock and all status icons dissapear, many apps will no longer run and you will be unable to connect to the internet over a Wireless Network.

Metadata.framework(Error): failed to find bootstrap port for com.apple.metadata.mds

In your console log, and running many apps will fail and give you an error message simmilar to 

unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0xCA 0xFE 0xBA 0xBE 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02  - nil bundle identifier!

I seond most of the issues mentioned as I applied that patch. luckily i was running the 10.5 from an iPod so does not effect my main system. All the menue bar icons were gone except the spotlight icon.

Tried to run on PowerBook G4 (second last revision) but no success.

well Apple better label there software better because if I can't use Front Row on my mac then it is not the complete package because certain apps are getting stripped out so that is useless and should be named something else. something like the amost complete package depending on what mac you have.

Oh come on. It's not like this is even anywhere -near- release yet. Technically, you're not -supposed- to have it, and you -still- complain? Just wait for a while, you'll get your "complete package" eventually.

Oh come on. It's not like this is even anywhere -near- release yet. Technically, you're not -supposed- to have it, and you -still- complain? Just wait for a while, you'll get your "complete package" eventually.

yeah i know. its beta what can i say about it. it still has work to be done before it is final. it doesn't bother me. i tried on my G3 iBook and i got both front row and photobooth but niether work or open and got no keyboard shortcut for it either.

NOTE TO EVERYONE!

unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0xCA 0xFE 0xBA 0xBE 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02 - nil bundle identifier!

Too late. Any idea on a fix short of a format/reinstall?

Maybe Apple doesn't want to give users without the "required" hardware (to them) a half-assed experience with Front Row and no Remote, therefore, not allowing it to launch on Remote-lacking Macs, but that could be easily fixed just buying a Front Row-compatible remote, and some users just want it for the kicks and don't care about a remote. Anyways, that was just thinking how I think Apple thinks. Different from us on this.

The short fix would be to put in your installation disc, and now there is an option for a repair where it scans the system and replaces all changed files with the originals.

Still takes a while, but you will keep your settings.

Got impatient... Loaded 10.5 onto an external HD and booted off of that. Transfered my info over to the external using the wizard in the initial setup. After that, formatted my mini and reloaded the OS onto the mini, transferring everything back over using the wizard again.

It was a bit of a pain, but not having the clock was worse.

Thanks, though, for the answers.

Maybe Apple doesn't want to give users without the "required" hardware (to them) a half-assed experience with Front Row and no Remote, therefore, not allowing it to launch on Remote-lacking Macs, but that could be easily fixed just buying a Front Row-compatible remote, and some users just want it for the kicks and don't care about a remote. Anyways, that was just thinking how I think Apple thinks. Different from us on this.

After installing 10.5, I just plugged in my "Keyspan" RF FrontRow remote, and nothing happened. Pressed the menu botton and got nothing. No new options came up in the Keyboard section of control panel.

Maybe the dongle has to be plugged in during install... or maybe it's limited to JUST the IR remote at this point.