To run on normal DVD

OryHara

28 posts in this topic

1. Use disk utility to convert the image to read/write. (this creates a NEW DMG image! identical, but with read+write)

2. Mount & remove Xcode folder, then unmount. (From the NEW DMG image)

3. Create a new image that is 4.7 GB with read+write. (Yes another one) Name it "Mac OS X Install DVD". (Thanks TinFoil209)

4. Restore the converted RW dmg to the NEWER 4.7 GB dmg. (converted = new image from step 1)

5. Burn image from step 3 in Toast 7.1.

6. Boot it.

We have all tried to boot from the dvd. And it does not seem to work. Can anyone confirm that this works when booting from dvd?

Works on my G4 sawtooth, dunno about Intel, or anything else though. I may be able to get Tina to try it on her eMac G4, and see if hers will. I don't have but 3 real macs to try it on. My FlowerPower has a regular CDRW in it. Id have to rip the drive out of it, load it, and put it back in.

Gonna quote Tmac in the other thread. Tmac

if any of u try to start up leopard and get a blue screen with a mouse and it hangs there u have to boot leopard in safe mode to disable the unecessary drivers from loading.

For some of you, if you don't know. When you hear the chime on the machine, hold down the C key to boot from DVD.

Apparently(read: in process of trying myself on my brand new MacMini), according to this thread you can do the following to get a bootable DVD(yet still Dual-Layer sized)

I unstuffed the files using an RAR unstuffer. Then I opened Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility). Drag the dmg file to the left side of Disk Utility. From the Menu Bar pull down "Convert". Convert the dmg to a DVD/CD Master. It will add "cdr" to the end. Once it is a cdr, you can burn it using the yellow burn button in the upper left hand corner of Disk Utility. Note: The file size is slightly bigger than will fit on a single sided DVD. I had to use a Dual-Layer. It worked. Double click on your nex installer disk. Your mac restarts and installs Leopard.

The people in the other thread say it works, so I'm in the process of trying it right now, will post back with results.

sounds like a good idea but i cant do step for, i cant get it to restore the button is greyed out

On 'Restore' window,

1. Drag the Read/Write Leopard (XCode removed) image file (either from the Finder or the Left Panel of Disk Utilities application window) to the 'Source'.

2. Mount the blank 4.2 GB image (as you've already prepared).

3. Then drag that disk icon from the left panel - NOT from the Finder to 'Destination'

4. Click 'Restore' :D

HA!! It booted on my Beige G3 w/xpostfacto, but it kernel panic'd when it came up to the installer. ;)

On 'Restore' window,

1. Drag the Read/Write Leopard (XCode removed) image file (either from the Finder or the Left Panel of Disk Utilities application window) to the 'Source'.

2. Mount the blank 4.2 GB image (as you've already prepared).

3. Then drag that disk icon from the left panel - NOT from the Finder to 'Destination'

4. Click 'Restore' :poster_oops:

k i can get to the restore part but when i click on it it starts loading then i get error "(-34) no space left on the device"

k i can get to the restore part but when i click on it it starts loading then i get error "(-34) no space left on the device"

Make sure you un-mounted the DMG after you removed x-code.

source -> removed X-Code dmg.

Destination -> Mounted 4.2gb disk (from new dmg)

Works on a DDR eMac w/combo drive, but comes up to no installer. Just a blank blue screen, although it nukes out in the middle of the install on the Sawtooth bc my DVD burner is {censored}.

Hold down the shift key and it panics. But yes, it will boot if you do it right.

I have simplified the above steps to make it easier to understand, and have attached a png as well to show the image size, to get an idea of what to do. The 4.2gb image is the one you should burn. I'm using toast 7.1 unibin on my hackintosh. It might be a good idea to use it, or disk utility to burn. If you can't boot the image, then there is something wrong with the way it is being burned. I hope this helps clarify.

Step 1

post-18909-1155826744_thumb.png

post-18909-1155826764_thumb.png

Step 3

post-18909-1155826607_thumb.png

4.2 GB Image

post-18909-1155826207_thumb.png

LOL this loads to the installer for me but with no backlight! Did it on a DVD-RW ill try on my last DVD-R I have right now, maybe it lagged out?

I did some changes to the steps mentioned above:

When I made the new .dmg to standard 4.7GB DVD (not custom 3.2GB), I also named it "Mac OS X Install DVD" like the original, I also then converted the last .dmg into a CD/DVD master before burning, then burned the .cdr. I think the 4.7GB is a big thing because some drives want 0000s all the way to the end on bootable CDs/DVDs, remember those dummy apps for Linux and even game consoles?

People getting -16 errors. After you did the convert on the original .dmg from the RARs pulled out the xcode folder and made the new .dmg you have to restart (I think disk utility left the process running). I unmounted/ejected everything, added a dock shortcut of Disk utility then restarted, then launched disk utility clicked the new .dmg and clicked mount so u can put it as the destination on restore without any errors. I think after any conversion it is best to restart (the hdiutil is still running I think afterwards).

I do get to the installer, can harley see it lol. Will see what happens with a standard DVD-R..

Goodluck all!

When I made the new .dmg to standard 4.7GB DVD (not custom 3.2GB), I also named it "Mac OS X Install DVD" like the original

Good idea, ill try that on the eMac here since it doesn't want to come up to the installer with finder, and just sit there with a working mouse.

Sawtooth runs well with leopard though.

I not even going to attempt this on my now FULLY WORKING hackintosh, its my daily box now, and has too much stuff on it to reload. :)

I keep getting an input/output error when ever I try to copy the orginal DMG what do I do?

That means that somethig is probably corrupt.

I've come up with these instructions for creating a Single-Layer Leopard DVD, but alas, it is not bootable! I've conceded to burning to a DL DVD, but I think the last step may just be that it needs to be "blessed":

1. Superuser yourself (or use sudo for each command).

2. hdiutil convert leopard.dmg -format UDRW -o leopard2.dmg

3. hdiutil mount -readwrite leopard2.dmg

4. Delete whatever files you wish (probably XCode, for you)

5. hdiutil create -srcdir /volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD" -format SPARSE /leopard-dvd.dmg

6. hdiutil convert leopard-dvd.dmg.sparseimage -format UDTO -o leopard4.dmg

7. Burn your image with Disk Utility.

8. Boot.

Any ideas?

I tried the "Restore" method outlined above (without even running into this thread) without success.

Before you burn the new image to a dvd-r, can't you use the 'bless' command in the Terminal to bless the new image? E.g. by mounting it and doing a "bless --folder /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/CoreServices"?

Just a thought.