Installation on iPod is odd...

GoM

6 posts in this topic

Ok. I have a 3G 15GB iPod. I wrote zero's to the disk and formatted it as MOS Extended (Journaled). I then partitioned it into two MOS Extended (Journaled) partitions using the intel partition map. I installed Leopard via the OSIntall.pkg in the System folder on the .dmg. It runs fine and installs properly on the first partition on my iPod. I reboot into Leopard, at it takes about a minute or two to get me to the setup screen. At this point I'm thinking everything is hunky dory. I setup the install, and finally make my user account. It says enjoy your mac, and then...

...blue screen of death. It just stalls with just the cursor and random disk activity on the iPod. I wait and hour and it is apparent somthing is fcked up.

Can anyone explain what the f*** is going on?

Peace,

GoM

i also have this problem i tried with my ipod, tried putting my macbook in Target diskmode, installed leopard on with my brothers macbook, notthing i get through the setup and then blue screen afterwards. i even tried reparing permissions, still nothing i spent all day yesterday on this and nothing is installed still, i'm thinking of giving up.

My advice is to unplug your iPod while installing Leopard, as it seems to have confused it.

Not only that, Leopard does have some iPod problems, but it's still a bit stabler than Tiger on some of the apps (seriously. While I find Spaces and Time Machine have some problems, everything else has been, IMO, fine)

I couldn't install the iPod Updater, so I ran the updater directly instead by using "Show Package Contents". If you look in there, there's another package somewhere, so you go into there ("Show Package Contents") and somewhere in there should be the actual updater file.

leopard on my ipod worked absolutely fine

i formatted the iPOD as JHFS+ in disk utility during the setup, once converted to the intel partition table.

its pretty fast, everything runs just as good as from the internal hdd, which i have also had it installed on, although later decided to just have it on the ipod.

dont be worried about turning your ipod into a brick, not capable of playing music, just use the ipod updater and it'l restore it :D

i used a 3G 20GB iPod