root activation in Leopard

macxpnux

12 posts in this topic

Yea, sudo works, however I have seen an issue if you have multiple admin user accounts on one system where using sudo passwd root will prevent other admin users from being able to access administrative functions with their password.

True, there are not many cases where one needs multiple admin accounts, but in that rare case, it has screwed me over.

Since the NetInfo manager is missing from Leopard, what facility does Apple want developers to use to modify these items? I know that they've migrated a number of things to newer technologies (such as launchd), but for things like user editing (I change my home directory to an external drive), where is that information supposed to be modified now?

How to activate the root user in Leopard ? It looks as the application we used for that is missing.

sudo su

(your pass)

passwd root

(root's new pass)

Since the NetInfo manager is missing from Leopard, what facility does Apple want developers to use to modify these items? I know that they've migrated a number of things to newer technologies (such as launchd), but for things like user editing (I change my home directory to an external drive), where is that information supposed to be modified now?

you can right-click/control click on your user account in System Preference to edit user account settings (like home directory/shell), enable root is in Directory Utility (edit menu or using command line tool dsenableroot [10.3, 10.4 and Leopard], and editting mount records is in Directory Utilities - group creation can be done via dseditgroup (in Tiger & Leopard).