Fight Club Discussion Thread

kevin_4e

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I just got done watching the 7 year old movie, Fight Club. My absolute favorite movies are the ones that get you thinking 3 times as much as you're capable of. I've tried to read many many reviews and summaries of ithis movie but many are very biast. Throughout the movie I got most of it until the end where i lost all progress. Please feel free to discuss your knowledge of the point of htis movie. Thanks

But.... YOU DONT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

why not? its a great film... with a tutorial to create bombs ^_^

i think if you look this film the first time its very confusing at the end! but great film!

I did not think this film was confusing. it was a psychological thriller/drama/action movie. The only thing I did not understand was why he didn't die when he shot himself... Brad pitt was just another personality of the main character... I guess when he shot himself it was just symbolism of ridding himself of his alter ego... But the point of it was easy to understand...

I had already came to the same conclusion as james about him shooting himself and getting rid of another personality of himself that he did not want. I also see the/a point of the movie but i do not know if it is the accurate point of it. Is he trying to find another personality more original than his by moving away from the condo living, the office job, and what-not? He does this by finding tryler and starting a club where he can free himself? What i realy do not understand is how at one point, everybody ackwoledges both Tyler and ...(what's the main guy's name, is he also tyler?) For example, when Marla comes to see Tyler and she sees all the people in the house(project mayhem), the main guy tells her he's not around. Marla questions him then leaves. That part did not make sense to me. It seems Tyler represents two people at some parts and then 1 person at other times, seperated from the main guy. I also do not get the police part when they're trying to cut him up. I also don't fully understand the burning of the hand part. Sorry if I'm unclear at parts. Thanks, kevin

I'll watch it again and try and make sense of it. I think he shot the part of the brain that causes multiple personalities?

I watched the DVD last night again - i never noticed the single frames of Brad Pitt appearing randomly in the first part of the film before - Anyway when he tells Marla that "Tyler is gone", Marla thinks he is rejecting her again.

He has two phases to his split personality - some times he becomes tyler durden and other times he imagines himself speaking to tyler durden.

The police try to cut him up because Tyler Durden told them to do that - it seems the Tyler Durden personality does not trust the narrators personality and instructs the police (who are members of fight club too) to cut him up if he whimps out.

Notice that nobody acknowledges both tyler durden and the narrator at the same time - marla never talks to both of them at the same time. Either she is talking directly with the narrator, or directly with tyler durden, or the narrator is watching marla and tyler interact.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
But.... YOU DONT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

Too Good.

Shame it was it was lost.

We're all speculating as to why tyler durden goes away (or does he) and that’s the problem in the film. It doesn't actually clearly tell you. With some movies, this works to better the movie. Not in this case as it just makes us wonder how can an invisible character go away if you shoot yourself in the head?

Actually it was making me wonder why he's not screaming in pain.