Leopard Install Guide for Intel-based Macs without the Need for Dual Layer DVD

djkinetic

2 posts in this topic

The following is a quick and simple guide to get all you up and running on Leopard, its how i got it running on my system = ) 

For use on Intel based Macs (not for hackintosh/generic or PPC machines)

Purpose: To install OS X Leopard on any one of these machines without a Dual Layer DVD. Note this method requires bootcamp.

Credit goes to Adrian Fogge for posting the majority of this method.

1. Partition Main OS X Tiger partition using boot camp. Fire up boot camp assistant located in the Utilities folder. You can skip make a Mac Driver CD. Choose the new partition size via the slider in the dialog box. The size of the partition varies in proportion to the free space your tiger volume has. Make sure the partition is at least 5.05 gb. Once you've set the size click partition, and let boot camp do its thing.

2. Once partitioning is complete get your Tiger OS Install CD/DVD Disc 1 insert the CD/DVD and restart your mac, during startup hold down C in order to boot off the CD/DVD. Follow the prompts to get to the welcome to installer dialog. Once there Choose Disk Utility under the tools/utilities menu. Disc Utility should see the newly created partition, choose this partition and hit the Erase tab, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) also known as HFS+ for the Filesystem. 

Note: If this is not possible the partition may not be mounted (greyed out), if this is the case try to click on mount if you still can't mount the volume then grab a windows install CD/DVD. Pop it into your drive, restart and boot from the windows install disc, format the new partition to Fat32 (Quick) from the windows setup procedure. Once this is done reboot again and go through step 2 this should allow you to proceed.

3. Once the File system has been changed in step 2 your ready to restore the Leopard install image to the new partition. If you havent already done so expand the Leopard image in Tiger using winrar/macpar/stuffit 10.1. Once this is done the image file mac.install.dvd.dmg should be somewhere on you Mac.  From either Disk utility in Tiger or off Tiger Install DVD/CD choose the new Partition should be HFS+ filesystem now and hit the restore tab, choose mac.install.dvd.dmg as the source and drag the Icon of the new partition into destination. Hit restore button, you will be asked for your password, type it and let it do its thing. This step is copying every file from image into the new partition. Once copying/restoring is complete exit out of disk utility.

4. Choose system preferences click Startup Disk and choose Mac OS  10.5/New partition and hit restart button located next to the statement You have selected "Mac OS X 10.5" or something to that effect.  

Note: If you chose to restore the image via disk utility from the Tiger DVD/CD you can restart and while restarting hold down alt/option key and choose the new partition.

After this you should be all set!! Your mac should restart into the Leopard Installation Prompts. All you have to do is follow the prompts and choose the type of install you want, upgrade, archive and install, erase and install. Install Leopard on the Existing OS X Tiger partition with either of these options.

Note: Erase and install is a clean install and wipe all DATA from the Tiger Volume.

5. After Leopard installation is complete you can choose to erase the created partition with the Leopard image on it via Disk Utility by clicking on the partition choosing erase and hitting erase. If you want to merge the Partitions you may use a 3rd party partitioning tool such as iPartition or GParted via a Linux Live CD. These are the only 2 ways I know how to merge/change partitions without destroying data. If you choose to keep the created partition it can be used as a Local Backup for Time Machine instead of requiring an external backup source.

Quick note this can also be used for an external hard drive, just skip boot camp and partition the hd accordingly. Also make sure the partition scheme if set for native intel-based macs which is GUID. This can be done in the partition tab and hitting options.

Hope this helps any questions don't hesitate to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have a big question.

I partioned my harddrive using Bootcamp. Made a 5gb partition - got it formatted using windows and then disk utility to make it HFS+.

Now Leopard is all installed on my USB hard drive.

Big question now!!!

Bootcamp did NOT let me retake the partion back! It said it had not been made using bootcamp (makes since since i altered it)

Check diskutil command (resizeVolume limits) and it won't let me increase the size of the Macintosh HD (since there's another partition - the one boot camp made and that I formated to HFS+

So I booted up from my tiger DVD an removed the partition (disk0s3) using "gpt". the 5gb partition is gone since Disk Util now shows 5gb of "free space" not asigned to any partition.

HOWEVER!! diskutil command still won't let me resize the disk0s2 partition so it merges with the 5gb freespace, just like Bootcamp does it for you.

Any hints?

Can I do something to reclaim those 5gb currently in limbo?

I really don't feel like formatting and reinstalling everything ( i did it just 3 days ago :D )