ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

My experience with KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release.

AsRock Conroe 945G-DVI with with Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 2.10GHz; on-board DVI.

SATA HD format as GUID

Checked only: vanila kernel + ACPI, efi_guid

Install went smooth, but then got endless reboot.

After that reformated HD to MBR

Install: vanila kernel + ACPI, efi_mbp

VERY IMPORTANT - No-Executable status (NX/XD) and HPET should be enabled in BIOS!!!

Everything except sound works right after install!

MBR is important if you are going to use Acronis Boot Selector.

I have Windows XP and 10.4.8 on partitioned HD and the whole second HD for 10.5.1

when installing kalway, did you guys type F8 and then typed vanilla?

my computer would reboot while doing that

only way for me to install was hit F8 then -v otherwise the install wouldn't go through???

EDIT: tried it, computer still restarts after the countdown ;)

Part of my kalyway (or whatever install dvd) install problems were due to the fact that I made my install experiments with a USB hd and tried to install to another partition than the first one. That doesn't work with my USB drive. After almost loosing hope I tried to install on a SATA drive and the kalyway installer marched through like an apple installer. I didn't even have to install pc_efi manually. Afterwards I just cloned the system partition with disk utility to other partitions on the SATA drive and the first partition of the USB drive without any problems. (I had to boot from another leopard partition to make clone work, due to my experience you can't clone the actual boot partition.) This works for me, but some people seemed to have bad luck with SATA drives too.

My experience with KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release.

AsRock Conroe 945G-DVI with with Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 2.10GHz; on-board DVI.

SATA HD format as GUID

Checked only: vanila kernel + ACPI, efi_guid

Install went smooth, but then got endless reboot.

After that reformated HD to MBR

Install: vanila kernel + ACPI, efi_mbp

VERY IMPORTANT - No-Executable status (NX/XD) and HPET should be enabled in BIOS!!!

Everything except sound works right after install!

MBR is important if you are going to use Acronis Boot Selector.

I have Windows XP and 10.4.8 on partitioned HD and the whole second HD for 10.5.1

HPET does nothing, NX/XD is the more important one. HPET enabled or disabled you will still get "package 0 didn't get HPET" problem, but it doesn't stop the system from booting. OSx86 writes that changing HPET from 32 to 64 solves this issue. But on Conroe945G-DVI boards this option doesn't exist.

• 2 weeks later...
I just inserted the ISO DVD, rebooted holding F11 and made a choice to boot from the DVD drive. That is it! I have the same BIOS – 1.30, but my mobo is 945G-DVI.

Timosha,

How has your experience with Kalyway gone? I did a bunch of changes recently (had a HD crash - replaced with a refurbished one, installed an ATI 3850, and installed Kalyway), and well, basically hosed my entire system. I formatted to GUID, and when I ran disk utility, it essentially said the drives were corrupted. This would happen after a few hours of installing apps, etc.

Really sucked. Honestly, if Apple made a Mac I could live with, my CC would be out now and I'd be ordering one... iMac + 3850 graphics, and I'm there.

Anyway, are you stable?

I pulled the 3850 (maybe it was drivers, maybe it was heat, dunno), and starting from scratch. I re-installed XxX 10.4.11, but forgot my options, and ugh... it's kinda working. I'm going to through Kalyway on another partition, but nervous about this whole corruption thing. I'm totally on MBR now, since I don't trust GUID at the moment.. hell, I don't trust anything right now..

-Dan

Want to know the right combination of parts to make sleep work in 10.4.11?

Follow this recipe and you might find love.... :-)

So, for history sake, can someone list the right combination of:

BIOS: 1.9

Install method: XxX's 10.4.11

Options: EFI v8, MBR, "recommended patches", Paulicat's SMBIOS.kext (attached), Vanilla kernel, Azalia.out, GMA950 graphics drives

BIOS Options:

ACPI, Suspend to Ram -> Auto, Repost -> Yes, PS/2 -> Any Key, HPET -> Enabled

CPU, CPU Thermal Throttling -> Enabled, No-Execute -> Enabled, SpeedStep -> Enabled

CPU, PCIE, Sync, CPU Frequency -> 320 (2.89 overclock, not reported in System Profiler)

.. plus a little patience and devotion to your favorite deity, and you're all set!

Ironically, Kalyway's 10.5.1 sleeps GREAT, but I've found it too unstable to use day-to-day.

EDIT: I answered my own question, the secret sauce was the AppleSMBIOS.kext from Paulicat. Attached it. Now, I wake from sleep using the stock kernel with just the "-legacy" flag! (though I'm not sure I need it with a vanilla kernel)

-GPP

AppleSMBIOS_sleep.zip

i have just installed leopard ; so far no prob ; still have to check sleep and all though

where can i get the drivers for audio????

every thing else works out of the box ;)

for all having probs with dual booting; here is wht i have done

the names may differ from the actual; i have a poor memory -_- , i dont remember the exact names :(

1)boot into ur windows

2)install acronis disk ....

3)enable os selector...

4)reboot

5)format a partition to fat 32 in windows (i did for 2nd one)

6)keep the leopard install dvd and boot

7)select both the options in vanillakernel; andefi_mbr one

8)now format the above formatted fat32 drive to HFS+ (journeled) using disk utilities

9)install and reboot

10)u will see acronis os selector loading; now boot into windows

11)now ope the acronis disk utilitie -> right click on the drive u installed macosx ->advanced->change->change to primary (it will take about 40 min) be patient :angel:

12)after convertion completed ; reboot

13)now in acronis os selector u should be able to see an icon called "unknown os " ; if not; goto tools->detect os tool ->now select by partition -> select the mac partition and select bootable

14)now reboot; and in acronis os loader sect the mac partition and click on the boot flag on to

15) ther u go :) :) :rolleyes:

BY THE WAY I USE KALYWAY DVD ; Thanx to Kalywaay for the DVD

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did anybody get Snow Leopard running on this board? If so, please post how you made it and if you modified the dsdst.aml, please attach ist.

This is what i'd like to know as well!

I've been trying to get things going, but can't even get into installing (system halts after Chameleon has booted it)

any help is highly appreciated!

This is what i'd like to know as well!

I've been trying to get things going, but can't even get into installing (system halts after Chameleon has booted it)

any help is highly appreciated!

I'm having the same problems with the exact same motherboard. The best I've managed so far is install and boot SL via the Boot CD from blackosx - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

Stuck with 1024 x 768 resolution and a few other glitches, but it works to a degree...

• 3 weeks later...
I'm having the same problems with the exact same motherboard. The best I've managed so far is install and boot SL via the Boot CD from blackosx - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

Stuck with 1024 x 768 resolution and a few other glitches, but it works to a degree...

I tried to boot a 10.6 install DVD with this boot CD (burned the CD with toast as recommended in the Boot CD thread) and got the usual kernel panic. I don't know what blackosx is. (Edit: that's the nick of the guy who started the thread where the boot CD was posted.)

The graphic problem might be solved by patching the dsdt instead of the gma 950 kexts. That way you can get full resolution with Quartz Engine and Core Image support with the stock apple drivers. See:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143340

In theory. You have to insert 2 code blocks into the appropriate places. The problem is to my understanding that the dsdt reflects your hardware, so there is not just one dsdt and you can't say: put block 1 here and block 2 there. I didn't make it to figure out where to insert the code blocks.

But that's the second step after making 10.6 boot at all. I wonder how you made that.

Maybe it has to do with the BIOS version or settings?

I have the latest version (P1.90) with the following settings:

Advanced Menu:

CPU Configuration:

Overclock Mode: CPU, PCIE Async

Boot Failure Guard: Enabled

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Enhanced Halt State: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

CPU Thermal Throttling: Disabled

No-Execute Memory Protection: Enabled

Intel Speed Step: Disabled

Chipset Settings:

DRAM Frequency: 333 MHz/DDRII667

Flexibility Option: Disabled

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled

DRAM CAS Latency: 5

DRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 4

DRAM RAS Precharge: 3

DRAM RAS Activate to Precharge: 9

Initiate Graphic Adapter: Onboard

Internal Graphics Mode Select: Auto

DVMT Mode Select: DVMT Mode

DVMT/Fixed Memory: Maximum DVMT

Onboard HD Audio: Auto

Front Panel: Auto

CD-In: Enabled

Onboard LAN: Enabled

VCCM (DRAM) Voltage: Low

ACPI-Configuration:

Suspend to RAM: Auto

Repost Video on STR Resume: No

Restore on AC/Power Loss: Power Off

Ring-In Power On: Disabled

PCI Devices Power On: Disabled

PS/2 Keyboard Power On: Any Key

RTC Alarm Power On: Disabled

ACPI HPET Table: Enabled

IDE Configuration:

ATA/IDE Configuration: Enhanced

SATA II 1: Hard Disk/Samsung/ all parameters Auto, except: 32Bit Data Transfer: enabled

SATA II 2: ATAPI CDROM

SATA II 3: Hard Disk WD/ same parameters like Samsung above

PCI PnP Cofiguration:

PCI Latency Timer: 32

PCI IDE Busmaster: enabled

Floppy: Disabled

Super IO Configuration:

Onboard Floppy: Controller: Disabled

Serial Port Adress: 3F8/IRQ4

Infrared Port Adress: Disabled

Parallel Port Adress: 378

Parallel Port Mode: ECP + EPP

EPP Version: 1.9

ECP Mode DMA Channel: DMA 3

Parallel Port IRQ: IRQ7

USB-Configuration:

USB-Controller: Enabled

USB 2.0-Support: Enabled

Legacy USB-Support: Auto

H/W-Monitor:

CPU Quiet Fan: Disabled

Boot:

1st Device: WD My Book

2nd Device: SM-TSSTcorp

3rd Device: USB

HD Drives:

1st Device: WD My Book

2nd Device: Samsung

Reporting a full success with ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI. Used blackosx boot cd version 1.01 (NOT, repeat, NOT version 1.04) and SL installation on a flash drive (DVD swap method works too, however). Legasy USB support should be enabled in bios to allow installing from USB drive.

I use nVidia 9800 GT video, however, not GMA. Enabled it through strings.

Thanks a million, webplus!

UPDATE: Successful installation onto an IDE drive on the same rig. It's good to put an old drive to use :D