ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

rkwok: thanks for the important hint! setting fsb to pci-e to sync made the deal! wow! thank you!

cheerio

Wipmac, can you please describe more? What PCI-E sync is it? Why does it make difference? Can graphics cards in PCIe handle more than 100mhz PCIe? And how far did you get, 320mhz FSB?

I got my stuff.

6600bf9386.jpg

Installed Pentium D 805 to ASRock motherboard.

a6787d1fb6.jpg

Putting it into case.

81333356aa.jpg

It took about 6-8 hours to assemble the whole thing. Nice keyboard eh? That was only thing lying around.

a0d4d99e22.jpg

I turned on power and the power supply is dead on arrival. OMG !!!

The curprit:

daf64a89a6.jpg

Now I'm sitting here waiting for my new power supply. It will be here next Wed.

Thanks for the info, ppl. I'm using a very similar board from Asrock, the ConroeXfire-eSata2. Specs in my .sig. I also plan to setup another hackintosh using the Conroe945G-DVI. Main reason for doing this is to get dual monitor support. Has anyone here with this m/b tested dual monitor yet?

mir...

TopbazBar - nice :P

I'm getting this board with Core 6300 tomorrow. Can anyone tell which patches are needed? Do i need to check the SSE3 patch?

That's nice!!! I want to get Conroe for next Christmas present.

About SSE3 patch, I'm not sure. I didn't think u needed it because Conroe already has SSE3 instruction set.

@topbazar: i did check the sse3-patch.

Try without it. See if it improves the benchmark.

Thanks for the info, ppl. I'm using a very similar board from Asrock, the ConroeXfire-eSata2. Specs in my .sig. I also plan to setup another hackintosh using the Conroe945G-DVI. Main reason for doing this is to get dual monitor support. Has anyone here with this m/b tested dual monitor yet?

mir...

Someone with the same board tested ok. It is somewhere on this forum. When I find it I will post a link to it.

damn wtf there are 10 Effing threads! for the same board! geeBus there needs to be some thread merging goin on.

if anyone could be so kind to have screenshots that would be lovely. If this board does well then might as well throw a celeron on it but zimba mentioned heat???? I dont see all the hype about core duo or whatever its called. Still pricey somewhat. The celeron is cheap but is there a real issue with the heat. Has anyone tried Sata? I have a plextor sata dvdrw i was wonderin would it work on the fly if this board was bought, tryin to load only Osx not windows. Also whats the cheapest price for this board?. and will pc 4000 ddr be fine hehe i plan on doin matched pairs of 1gig stix! so 4gigs total

now thats making me think twice about even bothering with this project.

From what I recall the gma950 gfx chip is the one with the big silver heatsink on it, just underneath the processor socket - or if you're looking at the pics above, it's the first one to the right of the CPU heatsink.

actually if you goto : http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoe945G-DVI.htm it has all the specs on the board.

Also from the chipset you can tell if it has video on board, such as: 865g,865gv,945g,945gz,915g,915gl which all has integrated vga, this is only an example, there are more info and chips on intel's website.

:)

Change the SB heatsink (the one with Asrock imprinted), this might not help overclocking, but it's one of the major heat source. Hope this help. :D

As for PCIE to sync:

usually during overclocking, you want to lock the PCI and PCIE clock to 33MHZ and 100MHZ, for some reason with the 945G-DVI, if you chose locked PCIE in the bios, then it won't post beyond 300FSB.

usually during overclocking, you want to lock the PCI and PCIE clock to 33MHZ and 100MHZ, for some reason with the 945G-DVI, if you chose locked PCIE in the bios, then it won't post beyond 300FSB.

I'm an overclocking noob. At 300FSB, what is the processor speed? What % are u overclocking your processor?

BTW, UPS will be delivering my new power supply today. It has been a long wait and I HOPE my new system won't smoke at first power-up.

Hey I got OSX up on my new box!!!! It didn't blow up! Man, I was so excited. My ASRock rocks.

4000P8170170.JPG

Close up.

9351P8170171.JPG

Lastly (bit blurry),

3386P8170172.JPG

Few comments:

1. I got the case from ewiz for $41 and it is nice.. Edges are rounded and front door feels solid

2. GMA950 rocks; I never knew that installation had qube effect. Wow. I can install all day long to see that feature again and again.

3. Now I understand why owning real mac make sense. My next one will be real.

I had so much fun setting this thing up.

Hi Everyone,

i just have some questions about this mobo, i'm planning to get one :

- Is the limit of overclocking 299fsb?

- Everything but the Network port is "out of the box" ? How can you fix it?

- What about updates? i mean , once you've installed the 10.4.6 and you want to get the 10.4.7 or higher, is it as simple as in every mac or you have to change some lines or install some patches?

Thanks a lot :D

topaz: would you mind describing the installing procedure step by step? did you use jas 10.4.6? did you update to 10.4.7?

thanks

Sure, when I find a little time. It went pretty uneventful.

I used 10.4.4 that I've created from restore dvd. But I think you can use any Jas disks without trouble. This is my first time watching a movie using Apple dvd player. It is cool.

Is it possible to have "Dual Screens" with DVI and VGA ?

Somebody tried ?

This was already confirmed by someone else, but I will personally confirm again.

Hi Everyone,

- What about updates? i mean , once you've installed the 10.4.6 and you want to get the 10.4.7 or higher, is it as simple as in every mac or you have to change some lines or install some patches?

Thanks a lot :whistle:

I' will beat u to it and build two or three more using this mobo, LOL :D

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot :)

-Is the limit of overclocking 299fsb? The limit is not 299fsb, but if you want to go higher, in bios you need to set pcie clock to sync.

- Everything but the Network port is "out of the box" ? How can you fix it? I am sure, sooner or later someone will find a fix for it, in the mean time, just buy a RT8139 or RT8169 NIC.

- What about updates? i mean , once you've installed the 10.4.6 and you want to get the 10.4.7 or higher, is it as simple as in every mac or you have to change some lines or install some patches? All hackintosh update is not as simple as a real Mac, pls remember this is "Hack". ;)

Hope this answer your question.

:D