• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

donh

donh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

this assumes u can still boot somehow into osx. I can't. i think these errors are due to playing around with the other partitions. Somehow it screwes the 512 bytes where boot1h should reside on teh hfs+ partition.
so my problem is that i can't run startuptool from another partition since I can't copy it on the dvd.

Not sure maybe if you have a floppy. I don't have one so I dont even now if they work. Maybe it is time to reinstall with one of the new 10.4.8 dvds floating around.

Will it boot from the dvd?

bgg71

bgg71

InsanelyMac Prot├ęg├ę

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Not sure maybe if you have a floppy. I don't have one so I dont even now if they work. Maybe it is time to reinstall with one of the new 10.4.8 dvds floating around.

Will it boot from the dvd?

HEHE! Made actually two partitions ah on teh internal HD and reinstalled on the first one 10.4.7 and guess what when you first boot up after installation it asks you to copy your files and settings from another mac/partition and so I specified my dead-boot external HD and transferred all teh settings and files, and applications. Sweeet!
I only ha dto apply three patches for network(ethernet and wireless) and battery/powerbundle. Sound worked natively. I am on a dell latitude d600. I don't have the 10.4.8 install dvds but I think I will stay with 10.4.7 since everything works for me except the video acceleration but taht noone can make it work on thsi card yet since there are no drivers.

shkaff

shkaff

InsanelyMac Prot├ęg├ę

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
probably i donno something, but what was a reason to compile and upload the startupfiletool if it's already supplied with an install DVD?

Disclaimer I accept no responsibilty for a dead hard drive or loss of data but this should work for you i have had the same problem before.
Boot into single user mode (-s at boot prompt) and type the following:

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk bs=512 count=1
/usr/sbin/startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1 /usr/standalone/i386/boot
bless -device /dev/disk0 -setBoot

This assumes you are using the first hard drive.

I have compiled startupfiletool (from Apple's own open source pages) and included it in this post you need to place this file in /usr/sbin.

jrsdead

Colin MacKenzie

Colin MacKenzie

InsanelyMac Prot├ęg├ę

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh Thank god! I have my blessed Mac Back!

FYI You dont need the startupfiletool anymore. Read the readme file in:

/usr/standalone/i386 on the install cd

It has the instructions to do an fdisk to overwrite the MBR and if needed the partition boot sector too. It's pretty easy. I wouldnt have found that readme without your post though...so thanks a bunch!

Also, I see a lot of people complaining about write problems to the drive...dont forget to umount the disk before writes. This solves the gptsync "data write failed at position 0: Bad file descriptor". Find out what is mounted with the "mount" command.

Disclaimer I accept no responsibilty for a dead hard drive or loss of data but this should work for you i have had the same problem before.
Boot into single user mode (-s at boot prompt) and type the following:

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk bs=512 count=1
/usr/sbin/startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1 /usr/standalone/i386/boot
bless -device /dev/disk0 -setBoot

This assumes you are using the first hard drive.

I have compiled startupfiletool (from Apple's own open source pages) and included it in this post you need to place this file in /usr/sbin.

jrsdead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy