ATI Radeon HD 5450 Working On Snow Leopard

terranova2142

160 posts in this topic

Yesterday my computer wasn't booting at all. I think I figured an issue, I don't have an ATI Radeon HD 5450, but a Sapphire HD 5450. I read that that doesn't matter, but is that really true? The vendor code & device ID differs. Might I be a using the wrong Rom as a result?

If so, How could I find a working ROM for it?

I returned the Graphic card, unfortunate. Where would I look for a good recommendation for a MacPro 3,1? I'm just looking for an upgrade for my ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB. If possible below €180,-

I didn't have much luck on google so far. There are alternatives, but always so expensive.. :S

• 2 weeks later...

5450 HDMI Audio: works fine on the same rig in Win7 64 via the latest ATI Catalyst driver. My Saphire's HD 5450 HDMI audio values are VID 1002 | DID AA01 | SubSys 00AA0100. Do you know of a patched AppleHDA or VoodooHDA for these IDs?

EDIT: whooo, here's the guide ..

I have 10.6.6 installed and I followed all the steps step by step. I have a few problems. When I jumped to 10.6.6 from 10.6.4, the Graphics update wouldn't install at all. Then, after editing my Apple plist file with the graphics 1280x1024x32 it will boot properly, but after the Apple logo on boot it just turns off the display. But the OS is working underneath, I can press F12 and the disk drive opens, so WTH? Any ideas?

Gavin, you're wasting unnecessary time putzing around w. these old OS versions (+ won't encounter motivation in the forum to help u w. these .. esp. not having supplied the slightest info about ur setup).. just install a fresh 10.7.x, or (at the least) 10.6.8, and you might not even have such problem .. (encouraging u 2 b professional here, dig .. ;) ?)

HDMI Audio: if s.b. has time to get it going for the HD 5450 (I don't at this point), here's toleda's manual incl. useful files.

• 1 month later...

I Got my HD5450 (Gigabyte GV-R545D3-1GI) to work fairly easy

1) Got my card bios dump from windows and renamed to 1002_68f9.rom

2) Installed Retail 10.6.0 with OSX ModCD

3) Installed Combo Update 10.6.8 (didn't reboot)

4) Installed audio, network, legacy kernel, sleepenabler, put my 1002_68f9.rom to /Extra

5) Edited plist's of ATI5000Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX3000.kext (added 0x68f91002)

6) Installed latest chameleon bootloader via ChameleonWizard

7) Edited org.chameleon.boot.plist added

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Hoolock</string>

<key>AtiPorts</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@75</string>