ATI Radeon HD 5450 Working On Snow Leopard

terranova2142

160 posts in this topic

Confirmed working today on 10.6.7 with MSI R5450, bought to replace dead Nvidia 7600GS in media center hackintosh.

steps taken:

• dumped my own bios in windows with GPU-Z, now this was necessary, or I got kp's
  • removed old efi string for nvidia.
  • installed Chameleon ATI 5000 pkg
  • cp boot file to / and set permissions
  • installed ATI5000Injector.kext in /E/E, set permissions
  • placed own 1002_68f9.rom in /E
  • installed ATY_Init.kext in S/L/E, set permissions
  • replaced ATIFramebuffer.kext in S/L/E, set permissions
  • edited /L/P/S/com.apple.Boot.plist and added stuff from start post. Also added UseAtiROM -> Yes
  • diskutil repairpermissions /
  • reboot with -f -v to make sure everything was OK

Full working QE, only glitch is it only works with hdmi port, without audio. this is probably tweakable though, but i don't care as i have hdmi output to tv and spdif to receiver.

Hi Guys,Mac OS X Lion Support the ATI 5450 card,no need ATY_init,rom.Only ATYinjector in E/E or S/L/E.I am tested with wonderful result:QE CI Full work,you can use 3 monitor,change resolution,mirror,I tested with VGA+DVI,i am not have HDMI monitor

post-690732-1307365279_thumb.png

post-690732-1307365541_thumb.png

post-690732-1307365575_thumb.png

Sorry for my bad english...my video card is a Ati Radeon 5550 2GB, with your "all_in_one" run on 1920 x 1080 dvi-dvi. Buth not work with Qe Ci enabled, any idea?? Tank's

Recommend install OSX 10.7 lion Full Support the ATI 5450 Card

Confirmed working today on 10.6.7 with MSI R5450, bought to replace dead Nvidia 7600GS in media center hackintosh.

steps taken:

• dumped my own bios in windows with GPU-Z, now this was necessary, or I got kp's
  • edited /L/P/S/com.apple.Boot.plist and added stuff from start post. Also added UseAtiROM -> Yes

Full working QE, only glitch is it only works with hdmi port, without audio. this is probably tweakable though, but i don't care as i have hdmi output to tv and spdif to receiver.

You must patch AppleHDA,if you want HDMI audio

Is it possible to take the ati 5450 kexts from 10.7 and use it in 10.6.7 to have full support?

I'm so lazy to reinstall full osx :P

Thanks in advance :)

No,I am Tested but only full resolution,without QE CI and I can't shutdown or restart

steps taken:

Hi Fred.

Please could you detail for noobs plz ?

- what does this "cp boot file to / and set permissions" means ? (I suppose we have to show hidden files in root's folder in order to find it ?)

ADDON

I've done all of it, without success.

My system is now very low...

I respected the order...where could it go wrong ?

I managed to make my ATI Radeon HD5450 detected on my Dell XPS 8300. It is running at 1680x1050x32 resolution.

Just followed the first post instructions, but before, I installed from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installer the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] component, but removed the JMicron related kexts due kernel panic after reboot.

Sound is working after installing of Snow Leopard using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Ethernet however not.

My dell specs are Intel i7 3.39 Ghz, 4 GB of RAM, 1TB HD.

Sorry For My English Badbiggrin.gif

My graphics card ati radeon hd 5450 working on snow leopard after installed 10.6.6.

And how do make them work

Only For Kernel Vanilla

Waring Backup Your Data

1.Download the all_in_one.rar(down)

2.Install ATI Chameleon bootloader for Radeon HD5000 or kabyl boot

3.The ROM image under /Extra should be named <vendorid>_<deviceid>.rom(ATI 5450 is 1002_68f9.rom)

4.Install Atiframebuffer.kext and ATY_init.kext to S/L/E (ATI5000Controller don’t need)

5.Edit com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiFb</key>

<string>Hoolock</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>Your Resolutions </string>

ATI 5450 tested Fb working on Uakari,Vervet,Hoolock and other untested.Recommend Hoolock.

6.Install update 10.6.4 reboot and install graphic update 1.0 (if you get kernel panic after installed graphic update 1.0,try boot –x to safe mode and remove all ATIRadeonX3000.kext,I use hfs+ for windows to remove it )(the graphic update 1.0 only for 10.6.4)

7.Open OSX86Tool repair permissons.

8.Install Update 10.6.6 will add ATIRadeonX3000.kext,ATI5000Controller.kext

After reboot will it work,you need to do step by step,If you get any error tell me. :)

link download

All_in_one.zip

http://supportdownload.apple.com/download....csUpdate1.0.dmg

post-690732-1298697049_thumb.pngATI 5450 is 68f9

ATY_init.kext not support 5450 so it will display the 5500

post-690732-1296291555_thumb.png

post-690732-1296291576_thumb.png

post-690732-1296467561_thumb.png

post-690732-1298543884_thumb.png

QE CI it work

Hello White Apple :-)

Please to meet you bro :-)

Forgive my english i am french ;-)

I got a A degree in electronics but i am not good in programing, i am no reel expert like you, i try to learn but it'sreally complicate , some people say so many different thing and way to do them ,its hard to follow all the different forum to properly setup a good hackintosh when you didnt choose the right component.

I know your tutorial is for vanilla kernel only , sorry i dont know if the boot cd i use is vanilla or not , it was the last nawcom boot CD, hope its not a problem, then I follow your step by step guide

Configuration :

AMD Processeur Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz

512 Ko per core L2

6 Mo L3

Samsung 500 giga 7200Trs/min - Interface SATA II

Kingston DDR3 4 Go 1333MHz CL9

2 x Flat screen AOC 22" F22S (F22S) LCD 21.5'' Full HD Port vgA & adaptator DVI

1 Flat screen VGA 15" AOC

XFX ATI HD 5450 1Go GDDR3 - PCI Express 16x - VGA / DP / DVI

XFX ATI HD 5450 1 Go GDDR3- PCI Express 16x - VGA / DP / DVI

Asus M4A87TD EVO - AM3 - Chipset AMD 870 & SB850 -

(This motherboard can take 2 video card & Overclocking activation controle)

4 slots DDR3

PCI Express 16x

PCI Express 4x

SATA 6 Gb/s - Firewire - USB 2.0 - USB 3.0

Gigabit LAN

ATX 520 watts

Audio HD 7.1

so i start with retail 10.6 then update 10.6.4 , i toke out the ATI5000 & X3000 as you say in the GFX update after 10.6.4 .

- during the reboot from the update 10.6.4 i had some problem with the ATY INIT( the system show that he couldnt load some part of it)not just a simple writing like loading failed , more a list of the different port or component.

- When i update to the 10.6.6 , it block at the end of the instal , so i instal the combo from another boot drive 10.6.7,

When i boot now i got a white page with some glitch on it or maybe video noise, i dont know how to describe it, i can send you picture if you like.

I like to have the selection of screen & size so i didnt put the resolution in the .plist.

Do you think that why i can't have the 3 screen working with your tutorial or the other i try ?

I try many instal before with similar technique (Lion Kext or 10.6.7, different all in one for 5450) but the best result were no 100 % full compatibility :

- 2 HD 5450 full 6 screen but no QE CI ( no chess & impossible to instal some program)

- 1 HDMI with QECI & translucide bar, and the VGA port work after 28 minute but only in Mirror & vga display is not recognize in the prefpanel video output screen.

I am getting nowhere , it's been 4 week or maybe more , i am getting crazy lol

On one of your post, you said that we get 100% full compatibility if we instal Lion , is that real ?

I am doing Video editing & audio production , do you think it worth it to update my config to Lion or better to instal it 10.6.7 or 10.6.6 (planing of upgrading the RAM to 16 giga total )

If 10.6.7 or 10.6.6 for 100% compatibility, do you know what can i do to get full support like you guys? even if the translucide bar dont work ?

If you need info or anything please let me know i will write down for you.

PS : when i was doing the different test with the 2 video card i also seen the problem of having twice device in slot 1 instead of 1&2 .(it was not your tutorial i did your with 1 card to be sure before plug the other)

Hope you can help me , dont know if you ever heard of instalation problem like the one i had i look arround and didnt find solution, (i know i should have look for the right equipment before buying this component, but now i am broke, its to late so i got no choice) .

Do you got any idears of what i can do ?

Thanks

Simon.

This is much simpler than you think. I spent 3 days experimenting everything in this post to no success, until I accidentally stumbled upon this.

Please read the attached guide inside the ZIP file.

I hope it will be clear in the end.

Thank you tdran!! It was as simple as you say :P

Sorry I am not programming or professional,I am student,what I did,this is "luck".I can say with you install Lion,lion will help your card work best.but i throught you can use legacy kernel if you "luck"

Man for a student you rock :-) i wish i had your knowledge , i understood that for the kernel legacy n Lion isnt working actually so i will wait i think or by anothercard in 1 month when i got a little cash coming in ;-)

the way i though was just changing the port name in the ROM or the ATY init or the DSDT , but i dont know how to do it properly , if i can do that i think we can have full QECI on AMD with multiple card ;-)

I have send a message to another god of hackintosh but he isnt answering yet :-)

Thanks for your help bro , sorry i put it in the wrong section because its not intel, have a nice days , hope to see you arround on the website :-)

Take care

Peace

Simon

Finally get it to work! Thanks a lot guys! Especially 'white_apple_x86' and 'tdtran1025' ;)

I used tdtran1025's method and make little change in Chameleon by checking the Graphics Enabler option.

Now my rig's running in dual view mode on VGA and DVI ports with QE/CI enabled (currently DVI+HDMI; works with all ports)

Test result:

Chess...work!

Screen Saver...work (kinda slow)

Front Row....black screen :D

Screen Capture (cmd+shift+3/4)...not work (dual view problem?)

Grab...the captured picture is plain white! (dual view?)

(I'll working on screen capture later, it's 4:00 in the morning here. so sleepy, but very exited to finally make it work ;))

*[update: tried HDMI today and it worked with no problem (HD sound not tested)]

My Hackintosh specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz

ASUS M4A88T-M mobo [with integrated HD 4250: not tested]

4 GB RAM

ATi Radeon HD 5450 1 GB VRAM

When i boot now i got a white page with some glitch on it or maybe video noise, i dont know how to describe it, i can send you picture if you like.

Send me the picture.

Do you think that why i can't have the 3 screen working with your tutorial or the other i try ?

Ati 5450 on 10.6 can't run 3 monitor,only Lion

I try many instal before with similar technique (Lion Kext or 10.6.7, different all in one for 5450) but the best result were no 100 % full compatibility :

I think Lion kext not compatible with kernel SL

On one of your post, you said that we get 100% full compatibility if we instal Lion , is that real ?

Right,with Ati 5000 injector in E/E

Wait for me,I will create the topic ATI 5450 For Lion

You really get all the output working even VGA ? and the translucide bar ?

Did you try 10.6.7 ?

My hackintosh's running 10.6.7 and I do get all display ports working but no QE/CI.

The previous post was my stupidity that I thought if I can run my rig in dual monitor mode and can run chess, screensaver that means QE and CI are enabled. And since QE/CI not working, there is no transparent bar.

I've been busy with my work lately, so I didn't put much effort to make QE/CI work. Just waiting for the retail version of Lion and hopefully I can run Final Cut Pro X on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

Can anyone help a newbie with little Mac experience please ?

ASUS P5G41T-M LX3 Intel G41 LGA 775 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600

XFX RADEON HD 5450 1Gb Graphics Card

8Mb RAM

Snow Leopart 10.6.8

I have got a XFX RADEON HD 5450 1Gb Graphics card and after trying all combinations of advice on here still had problems.

Did a fresh install of SN and did update to 10.6.8, after rebooting wow everything worked all screen resolutions, dual screen working and Logic Pro would install (whereas before graphics adapter found would not).. Upon rebooting after update got kernel panic in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I am new to Mac and still learning, can anyone advise me. Do I need to do something in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] any help would be much appreciated or can you tell me if I need to do something in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to see what error occured ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

could all of you running the 5450 in LION please launch DVD Player (/Applications/ DVD Player) and report if it launches all the way, or quits before even any window frame is visible? Please also post as exact as possible which model you're running incl. MB - thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the Radeon HD5450 on my Early 2008 Mac Pro, using Lion 10.7.3

I got the black screen on several tries. Eventually I downloaded Kext Utilty and dragged all the kext files in there. That did the trick for me!

One oddity though, my Mac thinks there is 512MB VRam (according to the 'about-my-mac' spec page). The card is supposed to be 1GB.

I tried Running Starcraft II, to see if the framerate improved, but it got worse compared to my Radion 2600 XT. What could have caused this? Or better, how can I improve this?

Well, this sure is extremely complex for a newcomer like me, i hardly know what I'm doing. I followed all the steps now, I think.. but something is wrong:

If I go to Apple -> About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Software -> Extensions.

it shows it loaded the following:

ATI2600Controller

ATIRadeonX2000

ATIRadeonX3000

ATISupport

While my ATI Radeon HD 5450 is working with it, it is detects a lesser graphics card, with 512MB rather than 1GB.

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Graphics Card

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0de4

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: netkas.org

Displays:

Cinema:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: 2A8190XTXMM

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

The main post said:

8.Install Update 10.6.6 will add ATIRadeonX3000.kext,ATI5000Controller.kext

That ATI5000Controller is somehow not loaded.

(trying to get this to work in Lion 10.7.3)

I spend 6 hours in a row now, I'm clueless on how to get it working. So far performance is a lot worse than my old 256MB card :S

Some help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.