ATI Radeon HD 5450 Working On Snow Leopard

terranova2142

160 posts in this topic

To white_apple_x86, and the others in this thread:

Even those of us that have "been around the block" can (and should) check out the New Users Thread - we might well learn something!

I have despaired of *ever* getting my AMD HD5450 working with any sort of decent performance, let alone all my resolutions, proper display detection, and CI/QE.

Thanks to this thread, I have all the above.

ASUS P5G41-M LX2/GB

3 GB DDR2

200 GB Maxtor 6LS200 SATA HDD (Hack side)

500 GB WDAC5000AVVS Caviar Green SATA HDD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

VoodooHDA HDMI audio (Hack side)

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (Windows side)

Visiontek AMD HD5450 512 MB PCIe graphics card

Acer H233H.bmid FP display

So far, except for the audio (HDMI) everything is working like it should.

I'm booting via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], because I'm still fine-tuning the native HDD boot (apparently I still have some settings not quite right there).

Native boot works (still have proper display detection, resolutions, CI/QE), still lacking audio via HDMI (apparent VoodooHDA issue) and need to install/configure Chameleon preference pane and/or edit com.apple.Boot.plist to lock current settings into place.

Followup: Same kext (ATI5000Injector.kext) works in Lion as well (and the customized install partitions for Lion); drop into /S/L/E of your custom Lion install partition (either DP1 or DP2) along with FakeSMC.kext - you'll have proper resolution and display detection in Lion (and installing Lion) in addition to QE/CI. Because I have Snow and Lion on the same drive, I use an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] USB stick. Even better, with the injector kext, you need nothing else (at least in Lion).

I'm down to a mere *four* foreign kexts in Lion -

ATI5000Injector (QE/CI, display detection, multiple resolution support)

lnx2mac Realtek RTL8xxx (wired Ethernet driver replacement/upgrade for RealTek-sourced Ethernet)

FakeSMC.kext (required for all Hacks)

VoodooHDA 2.56 (onboard Realtek/Intel AC97 alternative/upgrade for Snow/Lion)

And that be all.

To white_apple_x86, and the others in this thread:

Even those of us that have "been around the block" can (and should) check out the New Users Thread - we might well learn something!

I have despaired of *ever* getting my AMD HD5450 working with any sort of decent performance, let alone all my resolutions, proper display detection, and CI/QE.

Thanks to this thread, I have all the above.

ASUS P5G41-M LX2/GB

3 GB DDR2

200 GB Maxtor 6LS200 SATA HDD (Hack side)

500 GB WDAC5000AVVS Caviar Green SATA HDD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

VoodooHDA HDMI audio (Hack side)

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (Windows side)

Visiontek AMD HD5450 512 MB PCIe graphics card

Acer H233H.bmid FP display

So far, except for the audio (HDMI) everything is working like it should.

I'm booting via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], because I'm still fine-tuning the native HDD boot (apparently I still have some settings not quite right there).

Native boot works (still have proper display detection, resolutions, CI/QE), still lacking audio via HDMI (apparent VoodooHDA issue) and need to install/configure Chameleon preference pane and/or edit com.apple.Boot.plist to lock current settings into place.

i very happy when you succed,but hdmi audio not work

Chameleon.prefPane.zip

i very happy when you succed,but hdmi audio not work

Chameleon.prefPane.zip

I swapped in an older Audigy Classic (to replace my X-Fi XtremeGamer on the Windows side) when the VoodooHDA driver crapped up with 10.6.6 and added in the current kX Project OS X driver (1.30 to be specific). Now I do a complete shutdown and restart when switching between Hack and Windows (and swapping sound cards during the shutdown, as I don't use the HDMI for anything in Windows due to "black bar syndrome" AKA BBS), so I haven't lost anything.

okay...

today i have bought an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT (ATI RadeonHD 5450 "Cedar") graphics card. (1GB DDR3). i was looking for a working kext, and then i saw this thread. i have done your instructions. installed bootloader from your zip, installed kexts and rom. repaired permissions with osx86tools and edited the com.apple.boot.plist.

then i restarted my computer. i knew, that that gives a kernel panic. (i have SL 10.6.6, legacy_kernel).

my reason to get this card working:

i installed hfs+ for windows (trial), edited the com.apple.boot.plist again (i'll post it later) rebootet and look there - IT WORKS. with 1600x900 (my monitor's default)

i wanted to benchmark my system, so i started geekbench, but it doesn't work anymore, i don't know the reason.

then i tested xbench (works) and the results are much better than with onboard gma950.

in fact, i have installed the kexts, the rom and the bootloader, and the system starts with this com.apple.boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x900x32</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Have Luck!

According to this website QE/CI should be enabled...

and sorry for my bad englisch, i did not learn very much at school... lol

---

EDIT:

i didn't install the graphics update.

here are some screenshots...

bildschirmfoto20110304ua.th.png

bildschirmfoto20110304u.th.png

so..

to get QE/CI working we needto update to 10.6.4+gfx update

and 10.6.6 (this should include gfx update from 10.6.4).

for ppllike me with SLOW connection i cant stand to download >1gb file.

so my point is.. if there is anyone who kind enaugh to upload their KEXTS (X300plugin.bundle,GA,GL..forgot the name) from 10.6.4+gfx / 10.6.6 we really appreciate that it willbe a BIG HELP to us.

thanks. ;)

so..

so my point is.. if there is anyone who kind enaugh to upload their KEXTS (X300plugin.bundle,GA,GL..forgot the name) from 10.6.4+gfx / 10.6.6 we really appreciate that it willbe a BIG HELP to us.

thanks. :(

here u are, friend!

X3000KEXT.zip

Maybe I made one step forward, but still no acceleration for this card.

After installing mac os x 10.6.4 update, my ASUS EAH5450 was working but without acceleration. Only 1 resolution, the one I inserted in com.apple.Boot.plist. No resolution change possible.

After installing mac os x 10.6.6 update, I got black screen before entering the desktop, even using UseAtiROM option with 1002_68f9.rom in EXTRA folder.

So, I replaced the ati drivers in S/L/E with the drivers downloaded from this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224063

and now no more black screen. I can see my desktop. My card is working exactly like before 10.6.6 update. But acceleration and resolution change are still not working.

I also added device id in Ati5000controller.kext, but still no acceleration and resolution change.

What else must I do for having acceleration and resolution change?

p.s. during boot in verbose mode (-v), I noticed that at some point it says:

not loaded kext com.apple.Ati5000controller.kext - file not found................

but that file is present in S/L/E

I have same Asus EAH 5450 silent 1Gb as you, and i did it, i recommend you these things:

1- re install OS and update directly to 10.6.6 ( as my case , i have Iatkatos S3 v2 DVD , and a combo update to 10.6.6)

2- these file you have to make sure in following directories:

1002_68f9.rom -> extra

Ati 5000injector -> extra\extentions

Aty_init.kext -> system\library\extentions

Atiframbuffer.kext -> system\library\extentions

AtiRadeonX3000.kext (have a group of this file : GA , GLD..)-> system\library\extentions

Ati5000Controller.kext ->system\library\extentions

(have to make sure that you have repair permission)

in the com.apple.Boot list have key Flags same as White_apple mention at first topic

You will have fully QE/CI after reboot!

But this method we only have 1 monitor at DVI port, the other VGA port where monitor get black screen.

some notes for you, and be patient when you work arround, and do not remember have a solution backup your OS for getting restore system if you get Kernel Panic and dont known the way to resolve it ! :(

I have same Asus EAH 5450 silent 1Gb as you, and i did it, i recommend you these things:

1- re install OS and update directly to 10.6.6 ( as my case , i have Iatkatos S3 v2 DVD , and a combo update to 10.6.6)

2- these file you have to make sure in following directories:

1002_68f9.rom -> extra

Ati 5000injector -> extra\extentions

Aty_init.kext -> system\library\extentions

Atiframbuffer.kext -> system\library\extentions

AtiRadeonX3000.kext (have a group of this file : GA , GLD..)-> system\library\extentions

Ati5000Controller.kext ->system\library\extentions

(have to make sure that you have repair permission)

in the com.apple.Boot list have key Flags same as White_apple mention at first topic

You will have fully QE/CI after reboot!

But this method we only have 1 monitor at DVI port, the other VGA port where monitor get black screen.

some notes for you, and be patient when you work arround, and do not remember have a solution backup your OS for getting restore system if you get Kernel Panic and dont known the way to resolve it ! :)

I have the same problem as yukistvn...

I did everything like you said without success. I have the same bootplist as white apple´s, and I tried different convinations (with and without AtiFb Hoolock and Uakari, with and without Graphics Enabler, and different default resolutions...) and nothing happend.

I have all those kexts in S/L/E and Ati5000injector in extra, extensions folder. After all I repaired permissions with osx86 tools.

Could you show me your bootplist? Did you use the white apple´s rom?

(I tried white apples´s rom and I did one with windows method without success). :(

this i my actual Plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string

<key>dsdt</key>

<string>hd(0,2)/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiFb</key>

<string>Hoolock</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>30</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Depend on your configuration, u have to active two key: AtiFb and Graphic Enabler.

you should try the other way at topic [testing] ati 5xxx and 4xxx , by using the boot file, it working fine too ( have to read carefully before you change boot file)

okay...

today i have bought an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT (ATI RadeonHD 5450 "Cedar") graphics card. (1GB DDR3). i was looking for a working kext, and then i saw this thread. i have done your instructions. installed bootloader from your zip, installed kexts and rom. repaired permissions with osx86tools and edited the com.apple.boot.plist.

then i restarted my computer. i knew, that that gives a kernel panic. (i have SL 10.6.6, legacy_kernel).

my reason to get this card working:

i installed hfs+ for windows (trial), edited the com.apple.boot.plist again (i'll post it later) rebootet and look there - IT WORKS. with 1600x900 (my monitor's default)

i wanted to benchmark my system, so i started geekbench, but it doesn't work anymore, i don't know the reason.

then i tested xbench (works) and the results are much better than with onboard gma950.

in fact, i have installed the kexts, the rom and the bootloader, and the system starts with this com.apple.boot.plist:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x900x32</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Have Luck!

According to this website QE/CI should be enabled...

and sorry for my bad englisch, i did not learn very much at school... lol

---

EDIT:

i didn't install the graphics update.

here are some screenshots...

bildschirmfoto20110304ua.th.png

hi Launch1511,

do you ever try using both monitor , i mean DVI + VGA, mine VGA card is asu EAH 5450 which only DVI port woking !

This is much simpler than you think. I spent 3 days experimenting everything in this post to no success, until I accidentally stumbled upon this.

Please read the attached guide inside the ZIP file.

I hope it will be clear in the end.

hi tdtran1025, have you ever try using VGA port on Asus 5450? , my card working DVI port only !

white_apple_x86,

Do you recommend based on compatibility?

Beacuse according to this table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of..._4xxx.29_series

4550 has a max TDP of 25W against 19.1W from 5450. And the radeon 5450 wins all specifications.

Where i can find a 4550 HOW TO?

Thanks.

I don't know,how i can find 4550 for you but the 5450 hard to install

This is much simpler than you think. I spent 3 days experimenting everything in this post to no success, until I accidentally stumbled upon this.

Please read the attached guide inside the ZIP file.

I hope it will be clear in the end.

EUREKA!!!! It worked! For me, this solution is simple, astonishing, amazing and elegant.

Thank you so much tdtran1025. You are the man!!!!

And also thanks to all the people who had been working on a solution to this issue

so..

thanks. :o

If starting from pre-10.6.4, after installing this, just go directly to the 10.6.6 (or now 10.6.7) Combo Update (as the Graphics Update for 10.6.4 is included in the CU).

You can't download this update in the background because your connection is *that slow*?