Geforce 500 Series

s710

41 posts in this topic

Is there any news/rumors about support for the geforce 500 series in mac os? I'm planning to buy a 27" apple display, which involves getting a new graphics card because my 8800gtx doesnt have any display port connectors. i dont want to get an 'old' 400 series card but rather get a 500 one (probably 570).

Is there any news/rumors about support for the geforce 500 series in mac os? I'm planning to buy a 27" apple display, which involves getting a new graphics card because my 8800gtx doesnt have any display port connectors. i dont want to get an 'old' 400 series card but rather get a 500 one (probably 570).

Will probably be supported with 10.6.7. Hope also for support soon because my graphics card makes trubles / crashes sometimes my Hackintosh

Actually, it seems like at least the 580 is supported already:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/upd...r-mac-os-x.html

That post is incorrect as it was made before anyone had tested the 580. There is unfortunately no current support for the GTX 5XX series. I have a 570 and am patiently waiting. The best you can do is full resolution and multi-monitor support, but QE/CI are still impossible.

so along with the not all-the-way-supported gtx 580... it mentions GeForce GT 430, GTS 450, GTX 460, GTX 465, GTX 470, GTX 480.. you think those are a safe play?

Safe is a relative term. They all work, but most have random kernel panics, and don't seem to provide full acceleration (it is hard to explain, it works properly on most cards, just not at the level of Windows performance. In most cases, the 2XX series outperforms the 4XX series) or OpenCL support. I personally bought a 570, as I believe true Apple Fermi support is not far off.

Netkas, who has created some wonderful hacks for the OS X community, just posted a new blog post about the Fermi cards, and included a winky face, so I believe full card support is not far off.

http://netkas.org/?p=599#comments

Safe is a relative term. They all work, but most have random kernel panics, and don't seem to provide full acceleration (it is hard to explain, it works properly on most cards, just not at the level of Windows performance. In most cases, the 2XX series outperforms the 4XX series) or OpenCL support. I personally bought a 570, as I believe true Apple Fermi support is not far off.

Netkas, who has created some wonderful hacks for the OS X community, just posted a new blog post about the Fermi cards, and included a winky face, so I believe full card support is not far off.

http://netkas.org/?p=599#comments

totally - i have been following the wink from netkas.. he's really bating us out now at 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you add device id to NVHAL100, GTX570 is at least semi functional. (lion dp2)

560Ti is a better bet as I think the id is already there.

Can you describe how functional semi is? Lol. I think I am going to try running Lion here in a day or two. I really prefer OS X as my main OS, but I can't really do that until Starcraft works with the GTX 570 ;)

Then you may want to wait.

I am able to play Bioshock just fine, but SC2 gets stuck oading. I get a black screen with a nifty styllized green cursor that I can move around. I can force quit out but haven't been able to get past that.

I am hopeful that others will recreate GTX5xx experiments, so far I am only one and drawing conclusions from my results is a bad idea.

Would be nice if someone tried a 580.

I reinstalled some things and now GTX570 working BETTER in Lion DP2.

SC2 and COD4 now work.

Where is someone with a 580?

Hey rominator,

I recently bought 2x GTX 570 to replace my ATI 5870's and am trying to get them to work with Lion DP2. Never had the PCI CONFIGURATION error with ATI cards, did you get this issue with your GTX 570 at all? If so, how did you solve it?

Hey rominator,

I recently bought 2x GTX 570 to replace my ATI 5870's and am trying to get them to work with Lion DP2. Never had the PCI CONFIGURATION error with ATI cards, did you get this issue with your GTX 570 at all? If so, how did you solve it?

I would also like to know how Rominator or anyone else could install DP2 and getting away with "PCI Config Begin"

With an ATI 5770 I get past the PCI Config Begin, but after a while the rainbow cursor is spinning forever on a grey background. There is no way I could successfully install Lion. I tried netkas chameleon boot loader as well, but it just reboots when a few lines had dropped on the screen. Yes, I am using

-v -usecache

and had added the dev ids to NVHAL100

No luck for me either with nvidia GTX 570 or ATI till now.

I might add during all my tests the GTX 570 was installed into the PC all the time. It's water cooled so I didn't want to alter my PC too much.

Hey guys, to be clear I am using GTX570 in an actual Mac Pro.

Since there is no EFI for this card, it is running using ATY_Init, just as if it were running in a Hack.

With a Mac Pro, to use ATY_init you also need another Nvidia card in slot 3. I have never understood why this is, but I am certain that this is correct.

So, I don't know EXACTLY how to get a Hack to run a GTX5xx card, but I am about 95% certain that if I can, you can.

I would guess that following how others have gotten GTX480 and GTX470, etc going would be the answer.

Rominator, thanks for your information.

With a GTX 570 I don't get past the PCI Config thing again.

Edit:

Oh, boy. I could install Lion DP2 by removing the directory com.apple.kext.caches located in

System/Library/Caches

Somehow NullCPUPowerManagement.kext wouldn't get loaded either, even by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 1.7.

That means ATY_initi.kext wasn't loaded properly all the time I tried, it seems.

After loggin into Lion I noticed my custom DSDT (important for the RTC fix) won't get loaded, too.