Mobility Radeon - 10.6.6/7 guide for QE/CI - testing 10.7

wmarsh

564 posts in this topic

c0ke is your external monitor HDMI?

No, I've got only a VGA port on my laptop.

I'm now going to try to start in 64bit mode and without graphics mode and see what happens

-ATIRadeonX2000.kext (and its plugins): From Snow Leopard 10.6.6, I didn't edit anything because my DevideID is in the kext.

Do you have 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000 kexts? Including 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle & ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle? If you have, can you share it with me?

A little earlier in the thread he posted up the 10.7 kexts : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1646113

Also this is GREAT news!!!! Now I have a reason to install 10.6 on my Toshiba U500 and try to get it's 4570 working with QI/CE... I have 10.5 still installed on it and haven't updated as the lack of acceleration pretty much kills it's use to me. Too many applications depend on that working correctly...

Maybe I'll wait for hjs89's guide, I'm sure it won't be a one size fits all for these picky cards. Any other pointers you want to give in the meantime?

Excited about this! Thanks to everyone working on this!

Do you have 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000 kexts? Including 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle & ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle? If you have, can you share it with me?

ATIRadeonX2000 from 10.7 didn't work when I tried it. That's why I mix the kext. Because I had QE/CI with 10.6.6 and the 10.7 framebuffer detected better my displays :rolleyes:

ATIRadeonX2000 from 10.7 didn't work when I tried it. That's why I mix the kext. Because I had QE/CI with 10.6.6 and the 10.7 framebuffer detected better my displays ;)

I'm looking for 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle & 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle. With 10.6.6 ATIRadeonX2000 kexts, the apple menu turns green. I tried 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000.kext, the apple menu turns normal but lost QE/CI. That's why I'm looking for 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle & 10.7 ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle.

Also this is GREAT news!!!! Now I have a reason to install 10.6 on my Toshiba U500 and try to get it's 4570 working with QI/CE... I have 10.5 still installed on it and haven't updated as the lack of acceleration pretty much kills it's use to me. Too many applications depend on that working correctly...

Maybe I'll wait for hjs89's guide, I'm sure it won't be a one size fits all for these picky cards. Any other pointers you want to give in the meantime?

Excited about this! Thanks to everyone working on this!

The short version:-

1. Install or update to 10.6.6
  2. Install these 10.7 kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder:-

1. ATI4600Controller.kext
    2. ATIFramebuffer.kext
    3. ATISupport.kext

[*]Add your ATI GPU's vendor & device ID in ATI4600Controller.kext OR you can use the ATI4570.Fix.v2.kext legacy kext to inject "on the fly" your ATI GPU's device & vendor ID.

[*]Use kabyl's boot file OR you can use the official Chameleon 2 RC5 & ATI injection in DSDT.

[*]Boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes & if you're using kabyl's boot file, with AtiConfig=Vervet (or change it to your preferred framebuffer). If you're using ATY_init.kext, no need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Hi guys, We are closer to support these cards :unsure:

I've done an interesant test. I've mixed Lion's and Snow's kext. I've used Lion's framebuffer that detected "well" my displays and ATIRadeonX2000 that give me QE/CI. Now I've QE/CI and my HDMI Displays are correctly detected (but HDMI audio it's not working) and my LVDS is working, but with wrong colors, but at least I'm seeing something in the correct resolution. :)

Summary of Kext:

-ATI4600Controller: From Lion with my DevideID add in Info.plist

-ATISupport: From Lion, stock.

-ATIFramebuffer: Lion, stock.

-ATIRadeonX2000.kext (and its plugins): From Snow Leopard 10.6.6, I didn't edit anything because my DevideID is in the kext.

I don't know how exactly works Lion's FB, but it's different that Snow. I've tested a lot of FB and a lot of them give me teh same result. So you can use usual booters.

The short version:-

1. Install or update to 10.6.6
  2. Install these 10.7 kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder:-

1. ATI4600Controller.kext
    2. ATIFramebuffer.kext
    3. ATISupport.kext

[*]Add your ATI GPU's vendor & device ID in ATI4600Controller.kext OR you can use the ATI4570.Fix.v2.kext legacy kext to inject "on the fly" your ATI GPU's device & vendor ID.

[*]Use kabyl's boot file OR you can use the official Chameleon 2 RC5 & ATI injection in DSDT.

[*]Boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes & if you're using kabyl's boot file, with AtiConfig=Vervet (or change it to your preferred framebuffer). If you're using ATY_init.kext, no need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Just one more little detail:

I'm not using kabyl's boot, but still PC EFI 10.6 with graphicsenabler=yes

Another good info is that I'm actually booting in 64 bit mode, system profiler says that, that was impossible before, in order to use radeonHD kext.

I'm correctly working fine on my external VGA monitor at 1920x1080 with QE / CI although sysprof does not write so. My apple menu icon is green and had some defects on dashboard widget's corners, but I can see images with preview, ripples in dashboard, open frontrow and I had transparent menu bar on top.....

n.b. system profiles doesn't show with fb I'm actually using, I see only "ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer" (previously I remember Peregrine written somewhere).

Hope it could help

Just one more little detail:

I'm not using kabyl's boot, but still PC EFI 10.6 with graphicsenabler=yes

Another good info is that I'm actually booting in 64 bit mode, system profiler says that, that was impossible before, in order to use radeonHD kext.

I'm correctly working fine on my external VGA monitor at 1920x1080 with QE / CI although sysprof does not write so. My apple menu icon is green and had some defects on dashboard widget's corners, but I can see images with preview, ripples in dashboard, open frontrow and I had transparent menu bar on top.....

n.b. system profiles doesn't show with fb I'm actually using, I see only "ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer" (previously I remember Peregrine written somewhere).

Hope it could help

Yes. I said that the new framebuffer works different. You can change the framebuffer injected and the same happens, I haven't tested all of them, only 10-15 but the same happens ever. The new fb works different than olders, that is why it can detect fine the external ports.

If you hate your green apple you can try to uncheck the Traslucent Bar option. The bar will be grey but the apple will be black :)

Yes. I said that the new framebuffer works different. You can change the framebuffer injected and the same happens, I haven't tested all of them, only 10-15 but the same happens ever. The new fb works different than olders, that is why it can detect fine the external ports.

If you hate your green apple you can try to uncheck the Traslucent Bar option. The bar will be grey but the apple will be black :)

ehehhe I'm not hating that green apple, I just love it and hope to see that on my internal LVDS screen too in some way... :D

@kizwan: I confirm I found "ATY,Peregrine" in IORegistryExplorer :)

Some progress, I think

With IoRegistryExplorer, I have noticed there is no ATY node with GraphicsEnabler=y or with the standard ATI DSDT hack

[EDIT - this is using LVDS internal display. I have a desktop that boots OS X and don't care if only external works]

However, if you make a DSDT and inject your laptop FB under AGP (or PEGP) like the Nvidia laptop hack, then the ATY node is visible in IORegistryExplorer. And this blocks the loading of RadeonHD.kext

I think we need to test these FB mods with a DSDT mod that gives us a ATY node, or they won't connect.

And unfortunately this is more time consuming than Kabyl's bootloader

And interestingly, some FB mods that simply did not work before now cause KP. So at least they are doing something.

With IoRegistryExplorer, I have noticed there is no ATY node with GraphicsEnabler=y or with the standard ATI DSDT hack

What are you talking about when you say node?

EDIT

Netkas has posted some more info in his blog about ATI and Lion. Seems that it is not needed an injector on Lion. I'm going to check if the same happens in SL with Lion's fb.

EDIT 2

But it doesn't work with SL. If I start with GraphicsEnabler=No I start in VESA mode with ATI4600Controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext loaded. But without QE/CI.

What are you talking about when you say node?

EDIT

Netkas has posted some more info in his blog about ATI and Lion. Seems that it is not needed an injector on Lion. I'm going to check if the same happens in SL with Lion's fb.

EDIT 2

But it doesn't work with SL. If I start with GraphicsEnabler=No I start in VESA mode with ATI4600Controller.kext, ATISupport.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext loaded. But without QE/CI.

Here is my proposed new DSDT hack for ATI laptop injection:

[EDIT code removed

I think I need to add video rom injection as in this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1311625

will update later.]

I don't know if you noticed, but the 10.7 ATI4600Controller.kext in its info.plist specifies Gliff as FB.

Here is my proposed new DSDT hack for ATI laptop injection:

[EDIT code removed

I think I need to add video rom injection as in this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1311625

will update later.]

I don't know if you noticed, but the 10.7 ATI4600Controller.kext in its info.plist specifies Gliff as FB.

Yes, I noticed. But If I force Gliff the system frozes when it's going to load the Graphic System.

wmarsh,

Can you try the new method for the 5xxx range cards? I don't have 10.6.6 installed and I really don't want to do that if it doesn't work :D (I have a 4330 too)

I am not sure which method you are referring to -- I've been working on this problem for 1 1/2 years and it seems like I've tried everything.

Give me a link or something; if I've tried it I'll try to recall what happened; if not I'll try it.

If its the 10.7 kext; yes I tried them after hjs89 sent them to me. I did not have success with internal (LVDS).

Currently I am working on a better method of injecting -- I now get ATY node so I believe that is important -- and modding 10.6.6 FB to connect. No promises that it will work.

Exactly, this is what I see.

mbpx8n.jpg

I got the same thing on the internal monitor IF either the external monitor is connected to VGA port OR not connected at all. If connected to HDMI port, internal monitor is blank/black, only backlight is on. BTW, when connecting or disconnecting external monitor at HDMI port, it's autodetect.

There's another successful example on the chinese forum,

http://bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread.php?tid=8...tra=&page=3

No.46.

He used

-ATI4600Controller.kext, from lion, added dev id (95521002, ATI4330,512MB) in INFO.PLIST

-ATISupport.kext, from lion,

-ATIFramebuffer.kext, from lion,

-ATIRadeonX2000.kext from 10.6.6, and 3 other files, ATIRadeonX2000*.*.

External VGA monitor QE/CI works, resolution could change.

The internal monitor is shown in the attachment.

however he did not mention other things as boot method, etc.

[update]

He used Chameleon RC5 747 download from kexts.com, without dsdt, and he did not mention about GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

7 hours later one more reported successfully supported QE/CI on external monitor.

post-53826-1299906587_thumb.jpg

post-53826-1299906605_thumb.jpg

External VGA monitor QE/CI works, resolution could change.

The internal monitor is shown in the attachment.

however he did not mention other things as boot method, etc.

Exactly the same thing which I got (VGA). When plugged in monitor to HDMI port, internal screen automatically blank. Backlight still ON though.

Based on the screenshot of the System Profiler, I bet he/she use official Chameleon 2 RC5 boot file with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Exactly the same thing which I got (VGA). When plugged in monitor to HDMI port, internal screen automatically blank. Backlight still ON though.

Based on the screenshot of the System Profiler, I bet he/she use official Chameleon 2 RC5 boot file with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Kizwan, could you post your recompiled version of kabyl's bootloader. Some consistency here might be useful.

Kizwan, could you post your recompiled version of kabyl's bootloader. Some consistency here might be useful.

Sure. This is Kabyl's boot file which I compiled myself:-

boot.zip

I only add this line in "ati.c" to add support for my card:-

{ 0x9553,	0x00000000,	CHIP_FAMILY_RV710,		"ATI Radeon 4500 Mobility Series",	kVervet		},

Sure. This is Kabyl's boot file which I compiled myself:-

boot.zip

I only add this line in "ati.c" to add support for my card:-

{ 0x9553,	0x00000000,	CHIP_FAMILY_RV710,		"ATI Radeon 4500 Mobility Series",	kVervet		},

kizwan, what happens if you try a different bootloader, like trunk or PC_EFI?

The reason I am asking is I am thinking the Graphics Enabler is not working for our Mobility Cards, because it injects in the wrong place. But we are getting results with Lion kexts -- netkas told us they need no injector.