Which Wireless PCI Adapter Works

kuau

58 posts in this topic

here is another that just work out of the Box

WireLess N

Card Info Linksys WMP300N

Buy info Linksys WMP300N

My WMP300N did *not* work out of the box. It would detect networks but couldn't connect to any of them. I think I just needed to find the right device id, but didn't have Windows installed so ditched it and replaced with my Netgear WG311T which works flawlessly (G only of course).

• 1 month later...
This card works without any patching if you are using Leopard and will give you wireless n speeds! I have been using it since the day Leo came out. D-Link DWA 547. No drivers to install, it works as airport.

Hi Aqua-mac,

I just bought this card and plugged it in and .... "nothing" :-(

I have Kalyway 10.5.1 installed.

Any tips?

Thanks

Hi,

Got my LevelOne WNC-0300 (Atheros 5005GS, pci 168c,0013) up and running with Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 but in a strange way... It detects my AP but can't connect (saying "Connection failed").

But if I'll go to Network Properties And run "Assist me" wizard and go through all steps - it starts working ok. Just wondering if it possible to make a script to bounce the card at startup automatically ...

An update on the card I'm using: I have a problem with it, sometimes (maybe 50%) of the time, after leopard boots it can't find any of my preferred networks, and shows a dialog box (which usually lists my home AP anyway). If I click on my home AP and click connect it may time-out 2 or 3 times before it accepts it. This isn't all the time, just occasionally, but maybe it's a bug in 10.5.1 or it's cos im running no WEP/WPA on my router (just using ACL via MAC addresses).

@nano07,

this might sound silly, but try plugging in your onboard lan, to the network, whilst osx is running... it might kick-start your wireless card...

:laser:

Thanks osxgus, I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 again from scratch, this time enabling Vanilla and it the wireless card started working right away :-)

THANKS!!!!

Hi, i'm just adding my recent good experience,

i also have a natively working wireless card under leopard! i used a tp-link pci wireless card wich is atheros based and only worked (as aiport) with the 802.11 kext from 10.4.8. I just crashed with the leopard driver and correct ids. I bought a mini-pci to pci adapter and used the mini-pci card i used with my first hack, a braodcom one (see my sig) and i tried a fresh install. And i just worked out of the box! you can buy it for 20$ or even less, and the adaptor is also very cheap. So maybe this broadcom chipset is a good option for a laptop or a desktop.

I'm doing something similar with my setup. I ordered an a/b/g/n atheros card and a mini-pci adapter to pci for my N-wireless setup. My hope is that I can use this setup to connect wirelessly at the 5ghz band; my immediate area is crowded with multiple 2.4ghz g networks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCI-CARD-802-11g-WIR...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you are in the UK this is a beauty, was recognised as Airport right away in Kalyway 10.5.1. It's a Broadcom based card. Had to use the "Assist me" trick mentioned above to get it to connect to the Wireless Network but only had to do this once and it works every time now. What a bargain!!

• 3 months later...
Mine ASUS works with Leopard without any extra Drivers.You can buy from NewEgg for cheapBest IS ASUS PCI 138 G card ,See my SignWorks without any patch and trick.

Does it work without drivers in 10.5.2-3 also?

This card works without any patching if you are using Leopard and will give you wireless n speeds! I have been using it since the day Leo came out. D-Link DWA 547. No drivers to install, it works as airport.

I am using the PCI-E version of this card, the DWA 556, which has the same Atheros chipset. It has been working flawlessly on 10.5.2 since I installed it. (Hardware version A1, or 1.0A, IIRC)

I want to go wireless on my desktop unit, which Wireless PCI / or USB adaptor wworks out of the box or what drivers do I ned to optain / patch?

Thanks

See signature, Wireless N, now work 100% reliable with 10.5.3

EDIT: Works "Out of the box" , plug and play baby....

Don't resurrect ancient threads like this please, you replied to a 2005 post. :D

I appreciate the info, but I think I'd find a more modern thread to make or make my own if no one had posted about your card.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I gave up waiting for my Intel 4965 wifi to come alive so one weekend I got bored ... dropped about $250 in wireless cards, USB's etc and came home and dumped them all on the coffee table and began googling them looking for the chipsets and one that might have drivers for those sets. I found one! and returned all the others.

D-Link DWA-642

First I had to get OSx to recognize/fix the PCI and once it was recognizing that it picked up the 642 no problem using the AirPortAtheros.kext.

And...it shows as an Airport Card :)

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x3A6A)

Wireless Card Locale: Unknown

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.0.47

I owe this all to XxX_x86_os_X86_10.5.5 public beta! Once I played around with a few installs, everything started to come together. TOuch screen, touchpad, HD sound, WiFi, Ethernet, USB etc - A one stop DVD! Even the PCCard fix was on it which helped the DWA-642 come to life.

Good luck!

Joe

• 2 months later...
D-Link DWA-510 with driver RT61 from Ralink:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

Hello Anjo, do you mind explaining how do you get a PCI D-Link DWA-510 to work in 10.5.5

I've tried the Ralink RT61 10.5 .dmg with no success.

Any kext or plist modifications?

The Ralink utility installs, but I can't see the device.

Thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...
Stilll working perfectly for me.

Hey i've got the asus WL-138G V2 just like you my problem is that when i start my computer it works for like a 10 mins max an hour but then it stop working does this happend to you?

Hey i've got the asus WL-138G V2 just like you my problem is that when i start my computer it works for like a 10 mins max an hour but then it stop working does this happend to you?

No. If it did, would I say that it was working perfectly?

Guest BuildSmart
That's not true, in OS X it wont connect at speeds greater than 130mbps and it's not a dual band card.