Leopard and Hackintosh

domino

162 posts in this topic

You need to convert it in a read/write format and then delete XCode :)

Ok guys, I'm going to erase my HD for Leopard testings. Stay tuned.

Sherry Haibara

cool news, right now im trying to install this on my imac g3, so far i gtten up to installing bds subsystem and according to installer logs Aug 15 13:10:09 ant-lebs-imac : run postinstall script for BSD Subsystem, its now 1:24pm and looks like no activity, but my hard disk is moving i can hear it. :)

This is how to resize the image:

create a new disk image of appropriate size read/write.

sudo ditto -rsrc /path/to/volume/folder/you/want /path/to/volume/folder/on/new/image

Then, about the iMac G3, I know that Leopard is theorycally incompatible with G3 processors, but I haven't tested it.

Sherry Haibara

Hi guys - just to let you know that im working on a bridge while leopard is being "dealt with" it will just be a installer with the apps on - therefore allowing the functionality of leopard but without the core.

This hasnt even started yet so I might hit several big brick walls straight away - but if anyone wants to help jump on board.

Well, dtm3dd, I think that's a great idea.

Not forgot that for most of all applications you need also their frameworks and/or some Leopard kexts and features, like for Time Machine you need Core Animation etc.

I believe that until tonight I'll working on Leopard x86 on my AMD.

I want to install it on my SATA drive using a VIAATA procedure that doesn't use Windows and see if Leopard can use 10.4.4's IOATAFamily.

During this, I ask to you JaS: have you find a solution for your "IOATA" problem?

Sherry Haibara

Hi guys - just to let you know that im working on a bridge while leopard is being "dealt with" it will just be a installer with the apps on - therefore allowing the functionality of leopard but without the core.

This hasnt even started yet so I might hit several big brick walls straight away - but if anyone wants to help jump on board.

hey... i tried to run ichat on tiger.

i copied the necessary frameworks from leopard but im hanging at Cocoa.framework! it does not work! also with the new framework i still get the same error message!

didn't try the other programs yet...

Well once again I am very impressed at the speed of the community trying to bring the Leapard OS to the Hackintosh community. I am sorry if people take offence to a post that isn't adding any pertanant information, but I just wanted to thank everyone for working so hard on this project. I have enjoyed OSx thouroughly on my machine, and can't wait to install Leapard on it in the hopefully near future.

A few things.

1. Everytime jas makes a forum post it throws me off... I always expect him to be a ghost. :D

2. Sounds like you guys are sitting around the same point I'm at with it as well... I'll try to post some of my results when I'm home.

3. The guy getting 10.5 to his G3... PM me please.

4. And you copied my ditto directions :))

hey... i tried to run ichat on tiger.

i copied the necessary frameworks from leopard but im hanging at Cocoa.framework! it does not work! also with the new framework i still get the same error message!

didn't try the other programs yet...

Hmmmm..... well my download turned out to be invalid in some way so il download again overnight and Ill have a detailed look at the frameworks etc. and see what we can do. I think it would be a good idea to try Spaces/TM first so there is no existing framework for tiger. But as pointed out Core Animation is required for TM so it would be VERY usefull to port that over aswell.

Ill keep you posted.

hey why dont we work together and get 10.5 working on hackintosh. i like to know more about this.

That's because no one is still able to do anything on 10.4.5, 10.4.6 , or 10.4.7. Unless you actually know how to disassemble, you don't have a chance. IMO, Hacking up the 10.5 DVD to work with 10.4.x doesn't count. It doesn't help anyone get any closer to a fully running Leopard install on PC. If you'd like to know more, learn programming and help out the development over at Hackint0sh site.

Ok, I replaced mach_kernel and IOATAFamily using the 10.4.4's one, but still "waiting for root device".

EDIT: now I get another error, I suppose that's the same of JaS.

This is the log file:

AppleVIAATADriver: VIA 8237 (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15, BM 0xcc08)

WARNING: ATA Drive claims FLUSH CACHE EXT feature support bot does not claim Extended LBA feature support

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@F/AppleVIAATARoot/CHN0@0/AppleVIAATADriver/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Maxtor 6Y160M0 Media/IOFDiskPartitionSc

BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8023 PCI now active, GUID 0011d80000197368; max speed s400

And dead here.

Any ideas?

Sherry Haibara

The partition doesn't have to be in the front of the disk. In windows use a partition program to format 10G in FAT32 after your current osx drive, then in apple reformat that to apple extended, then format to journaled during your install. Apple pre-releases always suck!

sherry.. maybe the partition is not in the beginning of the harddisk?

No, it's at the biginning of the disk.

For joe: I have not Windows. XD

However, I get the LBA message with 10.4.4 too, so it's not this the problem. I tried also to replace the Leopard Extensions folder with the 10.4.4 one, but no luck.

Sherry Haibara

EDIT: I don't know if it's a my problem or not, but seems that dev folder on Leopard drive is empty.

I tried to replace this dev folder with the 10.4.4's one, but still no luck.

I see that the hard drive works, but system seems hanged.

Try adding new extended then make journaled:)

I don't understand what do you mean and why I need to do this.

I created a new extended and journaled partition and I installed Leopard over it using Pacifist, then I replaced mach_kernel, some critical stuffs and IOATAFamily.kext. Now I replaced dev folder and Extensions folder, but still no luck.

I don't know why the system hangs here.

Sherry Haibara

I only suggested that so mac knows you want to use two OS. if thats what your doing? I'm not sure if Tiger kext will work in Leopard, because it seems Leopard wont work with Tiger, did you set permissions right and all that stuff? Did you start with -v and see were it stops loading?

if thats what your doing?

I'm installing Leopard on an separate hard drive, so I suppose that nor Leopard nor Tiger will make troubles.

I'm not sure if Tiger kext will work in Leopard

I'm not sure too, but if we use Tiger kernel, I'm pretty sure that they work.

did you set permissions right and all that stuff?

I think I did all.

Did you start with -v and see were it stops loading?

Of course I have, and it stops after this:

BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1

So... Using the mind, I think that Leopard see the partition but not mount it. Why it won't mount the partition and/or execute fsck? It seems, too, that Leopard ignore the rc file. It wasn't in the etc folder originally, and even if I copied it from Tiger, it seems that Leopard doesn't use it.

Maybe DiskArbitration.framework has something to do whit this problem?

Sherry Haibara