Leopard and Hackintosh

domino

162 posts in this topic

Lots of posts in the beta section but most complained about mixing certified Apple hardware and the 3rd party hardware in the same thread. I guess I'll start it off by asking what projects are currently under way to spark up the folks that want to try this on there Dell. bear with me folks, I've only read about 2 pages of that long ass thread. Also, be aware that most of the people working on this may not have the file yet.

- is userland being prepped?

- are the sub system core files being examined (SemjaZa) ?

- anything new as far as driver enhancements?

PS. Some information "may" be gather over at hackin0sh.

it should be noted that this is simply a beta and while any work on this is awesome in every way, in all likelyhood the final version may work rather different.

Indeed.. And it would be better to get a head start on the fresh build and learn as much as we can in order to make the the final build easier to understand. No one really know what protection Apples put in place on Leopard. That would be even more interesting to know.

I'm have the feeling that we shouldn't even TRY to patch 10.5. Not yet anyhow. We'll put hours and weeks of work into getting it running, then Apple will just see how we did it and change the final release so our patches won't work. Then we'll be back at square one.

Better for the hackers and programmers to download Leopard, play with it, learn how and why it is different, then apply this knowledge to the final build.

Besides, there is still lots of work to do on 10.4.7 yet. ;)

I'm have the feeling that we shouldn't even TRY to patch 10.5. Not yet anyhow. We'll put hours and weeks of work into getting it running, then Apple will just see how we did it and change the final release so our patches won't work. Then we'll be back at square one.

Better for the hackers and programmers to download Leopard, play with it, learn how and why it is different, then apply this knowledge to the final build.

Besides, there is still lots of work to do on 10.4.7 yet. :)

You nailed my point exactly.

Ok guys, I have a very important news.

I tried to install Leopard on my hackintosh and I had a Kernel Panic, but I discovered that Leopard USE THE SAME 8.4.1 KERNEL THE WE USE IN OSX86!

The Kernel Panic says that Leopard use a Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1, I tried to replace it with my mach_kernel and the kernel version is the same!

So, this is the panic text:

nfs_boot: networking is not initialized

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002B66B9): nfs_boot_init failed with 6

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0xbd13a84 : 0x128aea (0x3b9dcc 0xvd13aa8 0x130c94 0x0)

0xbd13ac4 : 0x2b66b9 (0x3d1860 0x6 0xbd13b04 0x1f6535eb)

0xbd13ea4 : 0x1c5ee0 (0x2757d00 0x28dcf78 0xbd13ec4 0x33eb30)

0xbd13ee4 : 0x30f2e3 (0x26711c0 0x1 0xbd13f98 0x20)

0xbd13fb4 : 0x135f0e (0x0 0x7 0x0 0x0)

0xbd13fd4 : 0x196b69 (0x0 0xffffffff 0x4431f8 0x49b800) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1: Tue Jan 3 18:23:53 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.7.90.obj~1/RELEASE_I386

I get this error with its kernel, my AMD 10.4.4 kernel and with 10.4.4 mkext too.

Any help is appreciated :angel:

Sherry Haibara

Guest bikedude880
Ok guys, I have a very important news.

I tried to install Leopard on my hackintosh and I had a Kernel Panic, but I discovered...

Hey, as soon as I am done dl'ing it, I will try and help you with getting it working. I am running an intel system at the moment. I don't think much more than that needs to be said.

OH YEAH GUYS!

I figured out the error and repaired it.

Now the error is:

devfs_kernel_mount: failed to find directori '/dev', 2Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 2, trying /sbin/mach_init

Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2

I'm investigating on it.

Sherry Haibara

Guest bikedude880

Glad to see that someone is making visible progress on 10.5. I am almost ready to start working on this project with you.

OH YEAH GUYS!

I figured out the error and repaired it.

Now the error is:

devfs_kernel_mount: failed to find directori '/dev', 2Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 2, trying /sbin/mach_init

Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2

I'm investigating on it.

Sherry Haibara

I don't know if the kernel is different on PPC but it says:

Kernel-Version: Darwin 9.0.0d1

:D

Ok guys.

Now I replaced all the files that needed to be decrypted and now I get a "still waiting for root device" error. However, the system doesn't hang. So I'm investigate about this.

Stay tuned :idea:

Sherry Haibara

try formatting your drive from the 10.4.3 install disc, then try whatever it is your doing

Ok guys.

Now I replaced all the files that needed to be decrypted and now I get a "still waiting for root device" error. However, the system doesn't hang. So I'm investigate about this.

Stay tuned :idea:

Sherry Haibara

Try replacing the ioata.kext with the one from 10.4.4,I can get it to boot to BSD root then the init dies right before checking disk's start..

I get the same thing from the bootable install dvd I made of 10.5 or from the installed system on a second partition.

Jas, are you trying to install Leopard too?

Well, two minds are better than one.

I was thinking about use 10.4.4's ioata and see if it works; anyway it's a good point, IMHO. We can do a lot of things starting from now, I think.

Sherry Haibara

Well If you want to work with me on this,that would be fine.It seems we are at the same place

Guest bikedude880

Hey Jas, Sherry. I am also working at getting this installed on my box as well, but have not yet made it as far as either of you. As soon as I do, I am more than willing to help out any way I can.

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1: Tue Jan 3 18:23:53 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.7.90.obj~1/RELEASE_I386

Sorry mac, I think you just have not installed the new kernel, because the one included in 10.5 is clearly called

Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0d1: Fri Jul 28 21:14:24 PDT 2006; root:xnu-933~1/RELEASE_I386

Sorry mac, I think you just have not installed the new kernel, because the one included in 10.5 is clearly called

Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0d1: Fri Jul 28 21:14:24 PDT 2006; root:xnu-933~1/RELEASE_I386

Yes, I noticed it...

However, I don't know why, but now I'm getting an ACPI error.

Sherry Haibara

sorry, this is a very noobish question, but i still stuck in the beginnings.. i can't burn the image. what did you use for burning it? toast and diskutil have the opinnion, that i have not a big enough dvd inserted :/ but it's a 4.7gb