[How To] Detailed guide to installing Mac OS X x86

Xeijin

84 posts in this topic

Hey - I tried VMware install and a native install on my system. But both ways fail. When I try to boot to the drive I'm installing it on - all I get is a screen that says GRUB: and I cant enter anything from there.

Any ideas? Yes my machine supports sse2/sse3, and no, this is not a dual boot, but installation to another hard drive.

EDIT: More specs for you to work with to get this out of your mind.

Pentium D805 2.66ghz (dualcore)

2gb DDR667

nvidia 7600gt

Asus P5ND2-SLI

and I'm installing OSX on a older 20 gig drive I have.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, i wanna thank you for this great guide for installing OS X!

But i have one little problem: I have installed OS X on my computer, but when i reboot after installing, i just get a light-blue screen with the cursor. Any idea?

Hey, thanks for the tutorial, but when I boot from (JAS 10.4.8) iso I get the Grey apple logo with the circular thinking animation, but it hangs there for hours. Doesn't proceed to any wizard, no harddrive or dvd drive activity. Any ideas??

My specs:

Intel Pentium Core 2 duo e6700

2 GB DDR2 Ram

Gigabyte Motherboard

WD Raptor 75gb HDD

LiteON SATA DVD Drive

HP IDE DVD Drive

Nvidia 7800GTX Gfx card

Edited by ks2k

I forgot the USB keyboard, so i bought one today. Still the same problem. Ideas?

Installed OS X with JaS 10.4.7 ISO

My computer:

ASRock P4i65G mainboard

Intel Pentium 4 (SSE2)

512 mb PC2700 DDR RAM

One 250 GB Maxtor HD partitioned into one 20 gb and one 230 gb

One 200 GB Maxtor HD

Microsoft USB Mouse

Some random cheap USB keyboard

nVIDIA gForce FX something 256 mb Graphics card

yeah, i know it's a little unspecific, but it's what i got for now...

Thanks

Edited by Cake

Hey, thanks for the tutorial, but when I boot from (JAS 10.4.8) iso I get the Grey apple logo with the circular thinking animation, but it hangs there for hours. Doesn't proceed to any wizard, no harddrive or dvd drive activity. Any ideas??

My specs:

Intel Pentium Core 2 duo e6700

2 GB DDR2 Ram

Gigabyte Motherboard

WD Raptor 75gb HDD

LiteON SATA DVD Drive

HP IDE DVD Drive

Nvidia 7800GTX Gfx card

Do you use VMWare or dvd-cd?

I had the same problem with VMWare, but i just configured a little, and it worked perfectly. Tho i'm stuck on the re-boot after installation, with the light blue screen and black cursor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried to install from the DVD, but it booted with no keyboard or mouse (Microsoft ... USB - one port), so I tried to install from VmWare. I configured the VM to have direct access to the drive where I want to install Mac OS X ( SATA drive "/dev/sdb" in linux ). I boot, but the installer does not see any drive except the DVD drive. I know that I should better get a PATA drive to install on, but I only have one IDE port on my motherboard and I already have 2 250GB sata drives wich get quite hot, so squeezing another one in there would get them even hotter ( I had problems in XP due to too hot drives ). I really want to install OS X on my sata drive. Please help!

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Sempron 3000+ ( socket AM2 )

MB: Asus M2N-E ( nForce 570 Ultra chipset )

RAM: 1 GB DDR2-667

VIDEO: Nvidia GF 7600

HDD: 2 * Seagate 250 GB sata 2

DVD: Asus dvd-rw

Vlad

P.S.: Sorry if my English is bad :thumbsup_anim:

First thanx

i've a pc with this config

cpu intel 3.4hz

motherboard Gigabyte 915p LGA

vga ATI Readon x300se

ddr2 1go

HDD sata2 250go

teh problem is that i can't arrive to instal mac osx 86 10.4.7

i'd followed all the instructions but when the installation was completed the pc didn't restart and i force it to restart i see only a white screen.

my question : ATI readon x300se is not compatible with mac ?

plz who has this graphics card and he's sure that it is compatible with mac osx , help me

thanx for your help

Hi, (I'm italian so sorry for my english) this is my first approach to Mac os. I have the following installation problem:

I have an install cd, I put it in and I followed the instructions, so I've formatted my hard drive, I've choose the hfs+ file system, and other things required me...

It installs Darwin...this without graphics, only white letter on a black background; then at the end appears to me a prompt (I think of Darwin) like a DOS os. Even if I reboot there's only this prompt and no sign of graphics or of any kind of apple...

I don't konw what to do, Have I a wrong installation cd?

@lordnoone: Great, I wish I would be able to even get there :rolleyes:.

From what I heard, Mac OS X uses the X windows system. From my previous experiences with Linux I know that it uses a console different from 1. You could try pressing ctrl + alt + (a number from 2 to 9). if that doesn't work press ctrl + alt + 1 and type "startx" in the prompt. If that doesn't work type "ls /etc/X11/" and report back.

Good luck! ;)

Edited by vlad_x2

@lordnoone: An install CD? I think you've got Darwin, not Mac OS. Mac OS 10.4.x doesn't fit in one CD. Another thing, you must download a Jas, Myzar, or tubgirl version of MacOS. See another topic for detail. Google is a good try.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

What could be a problem during OS X starts and hangs on before mounting filesystems? With WMware everything boots okay (I mounted whole harddrive to VMware).

Tried all combinations of parameters for Darwin, switched drives - nothing helps.

Last line with "-v" usually: "launchd: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR ipv6): File exists" (the same line present when starting with VMware, but it boots okay after that).

Thanks

Hi I am going to be trying this guide also, i have made a previous 15 gb partition thats FAT32 primary (will switch to active when i get it to work) so do i have to use those steps to do it? and ive got a osx86 dvd so will i have to mount it using alcohol? or will it just work when its in the drive?

Ok so i get it to work in VMware i install it and it tells me too reboot. so i click reboot and all that happens is a bunch of white text on a black screen (still in vmware) start to roll down the window in vmware. and then it says waiting for ifc or ifs or something like that. So i dont know what to do after waiting so i close the virtual machine. When i click reboot is it supposed to reboot my whole laptop or just the mac in the vmware? im guessing my laptop. so wasted a couple hours. :)

btw when i get into darwin bootloader in the begining am i supposed to be in vmware still?

• 1 month later...

sup :thumbsup_anim:

awesome guild

but i also run into a bit of a problem

the dvd i burn seem to run fine and i see the gray apple screen afterward i see the pretty aqua screen with the colorful crusor spinning

but that's pretty much the end of that

i'm not too sure how long i'm suppose to wait but it definitely have been more than an hr since i went off to take a shower while loading

i'm using the macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg file

my spec:

Name Intel Pentium 4 540

Codename Prescott

Specification Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)

Core Speed 2800.0 MHz (14.0 x 200.0 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 800.0 MHz

Stock frequency 3200 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative

L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Northbridge Intel i915P/i915G rev. 00

Southbridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) rev. 03

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x16

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 1024 MBytes

Memory Frequency 266.7 MHz (3:4)

DMI Baseboard

vendor Intel Corporation

model D915PBL

so i'm not too sure what's the problem.

maybe i should get 10.4.6 or something

but it'll be cool if i don't have to wait days to have it download and i can just work on from what i have

Hey guys!

Just got going with the step-by-step (thanks Xeijin!!!) heere and everything seemed to be workking like a charm. Hd formatting, booting from the JaS 10.4.8 dvd, begginning installation and stuff... but then I got a message saying that there was a problem during instalation and I should try again. Checked the installation log and there is a:

BomFileError 22: Invalid argument - /Volumes/"myhd"//Aplications/Image Capture.app/Contents/Resources/English.lprog/ImageCaptureHelp/pgs/ic1004.html

Install failed: some files for Essentials may not have been written correctly

Tried a coupple tiimes more and always got the same problem.

I'm trying on a

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo

ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe Mobo

ASUS EN7800GTX videocard

2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400

WD 160GB SATA Drive

I also have a WD Raptor 74GB (win XP x64), WD 80GB (Fedora Core 6), WD 160GB (Vista Ultimate), WD 250GB (files) which are all phisically disconnected during installation.

I know my system supports SSE2 and SSE3.

Any help would be appreciated!

ok i installed from 10.4.4 and the install went great, but i have trouble and questions now...at 1st i used 10.4.1 and used the guide on i-hacked website, which is at http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/202/42/

well now after installing 10.4.4 my sound does work but my nic doesnt when they both work on the 10.4.1 (Marklar-Tiger.iso w/ Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1.rar)

also after restart i cant boot bak into 10.4.4 osx i just get a black screen with a white cursor.. now do i need to patch this 10.4.4 iso or any other iso's with this Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1.rar or was this just for 10.4.1's Marklar-Tiger.iso??? btw iam using a sse2 cpu....

Hi Experts,

Hi Enjoyed following this guide and learned a little on the way too... But i still have problems though.

I wanna run the "JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8" on my pc via VMware and i don't know what i'm doing wrong?

I have a Dell Latitude D810 running Windows XP with the newest version of VMware

I Couldn't follow the instruction 100% "Preparing the Hard Drive for OS X" as i'm using a USB External Hard drive

I'm running out of diskspace on my laptop so i use my external hard drive to mount the ISO file on one partition where i got a bunch of other stuff and then on a second partition on the external hard drive i made a 16 GB paritition for MAC installation.

So when i start up my Virtual Machine it boots up and i see the Blue Setup screen. I choose language and when i click next after 10 seconds i get this error:

Because of a problem, installing Mac OS X Could not be completed

The error log is huge and doesn't really make much sense :thumbsup_anim:

I have followed all the steps i don't get why its not working... please help

I followed the vmware instructions to the letter.

I have an sse2 capable cpu, currently running ubuntu's feisty fawn release.

I am not able to get the installer of the JaS 10.8.4 iso to get past the "preparing installation" section of the graphical set up without getting a crash report screen coming up with a very non-descript error.

If I boot straight from CD, I am able to get past this screen and to the disk utility. This comes up However, the disk utility isn't working properly and won't create the necessary volume for me to begin the installation.

I assume the problems with the disk utility will be fixed when I download the 10.8.4 JaS torrent which has defiant's patch added to it, but my question is will the VMWare problem where it wont even get to the disk utility step be fixed?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have the same problem like Daniel Graybill... "Because of a problem, installing Mac OS X Could not be completed"

I'm using the last JaS release with PPF1 and PPF2 , Daemon tools (tried alcohol and burned to DVD), VMware Workstation . Tried for guest os linux, windows, FreeBSD and so on; used virtual and phisical disk, set partition active... still the same.

Now I'm trying to format the HDD with hfs(at least the console is working). diskutil lists the mounted devices, but everything crashes the moment I try to edit partitions.

I also have read some tutorials (like 40 :rolleyes:) and searched google a lot... (already have 2 successful installation on other hardware, but this one is realy tricky)

Heeeeeeelp

10x in advance

Hp Pavilllion dv4275ea

• CPU : Intel Pentium M (1.73 GHz)
  • RAM : 1 GB DDR2
  • HDD : 100 GB Ultra ATA 100 4200
  • VGA : ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB
  • Chipset : i915GM

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason this kind of stuff never works for me -_-

Here is my problem:

I followed the instructions (very well written I must say) using VMware and it installed after a long time, the virtual machine then rebooted (not my computer) and it loaded fine. Then I went to boot from the harddrive that it installed on (I have two hds 80gb with xp and 200gb that i was planning to triple boot; mac, linux, vista) and the it didn't work. After booting I get a screen that tells me that it could not find a floppy drive and that I should press F1 to continue (this always happens and it is no big deal and not the problem) but my keyboard didn't work. I could not press F1. I tried rebooting, plugging the keyboard into different slots, but nothing. This happened when I tried to install directly from the disk too, but that time it showed the Apple logo, then my screen went blank and said press a key or move the mouse to continue.

I then booted from xp because I thought that I could just install drivers for it through the VMware, but the hd I installed it on is not there anymore!!! I found it using partitonmagic 8, but the file format was titled "other" and it said the hd was in "bad" condition.

Can someone help please!!!

Tell me if you need system specs, etc.