iPortable Snow Won't Boot

Blah101

11 posts in this topic

I just followed the lifehacker guide on making an iPortable Snow USB drive, but when I try and boot it on my hackintosh, it doesn't work. I get to the chameleon boot screen, select the drive, and then my computer shuts down. Does this only work on windows computers that don't already have a boot loader? My specs are in my signature. Thanks for the help in advance!

~Blah

Try booting in safe mode.Try this:

cpus=1 -v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=No

I did that, it went for a couple of seconds. Then I noticed it said "can't get kextd port". It said "CPUs coming to a halt, it is now safe to shut off." And then shut down.

~Blah

Then I noticed it said "can't get kextd port". It said "CPUs coming to a halt, it is now safe to shut off." And then shut down.

~Blah

Well, I looked around and I found this post that may be useful. It says that if you've the file /etc/rc.cdrom on your volume it won't boot up. By this mean you can simple verify it using a Leopard/Snow Leopard install disk via terminal.

UPDATE: I simulate this issue and it happened just like yours. The system refuses to boot no matter the flags I used. Booting up in safe mode didn't solve 'cause I wasn't able to access my account (the system kept telling my password was wrong while I knew it wasn't). So I just booted from my Snow install dvd and delete this /etc/rd.cdrom from my volume and everything went normal. Trying to figure out why this happen here. Guess it's by the follow line in the file:

# this script sleeps forever; the installer or startup disk will always reboot the system. 
sleep 9999999

PS>: I used the rd.cdrom file that's locate in the /etc/ on the install dvd.

Yes, apparently is this file the why your system won't boot. I didn't said for you to replace it with the one from the dvd, I said I made a test with the one from the installation disc. I told you to boot using a installation disc whatever ways and then run Terminal, from the Utilities menu. In terminal do the following (the XXX on the line is the name of your pen drive):

cd /Volumes/XXX/etc/
ls

On the file list that'll appear check if it contains the rd.cdrom file. If it doesn't this isn't your issue but if it does run this:

rm rd.cdrom
ls

Check if the file persists there.If it does just run this: "rm -rf rd.cdrom" . If it doesn't appear you're fine, just reboot the system and you should be able to boot you pen drive installation.

Try and post your results. And remember, always post new doubts on the topic. :)

Yes, apparently is this file the why your system won't boot. I didn't said for you to replace it with the one from the dvd, I said I made a test with the one from the installation disc. I told you to boot using a installation disc whatever ways and then run Terminal, from the Utilities menu. In terminal do the following (the XXX on the line is the name of your pen drive):

cd /Volumes/XXX/etc/
ls

On the file list that'll appear check if it contains the rd.cdrom file. If it doesn't this isn't your issue but if it does run this:

rm rd.cdrom
ls

Check if the file persists there.If it does just run this: "rm -rf rd.cdrom" . If it doesn't appear you're fine, just reboot the system and you should be able to boot you pen drive installation.

Try and post your results. And remember, always post new doubts on the topic. ;)

I tried this and did not see the rd.cdrom there on the pen drive. What should I do now that this is not the issue? As far as I know, I still cannot boot with it.