• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

arivee

arivee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I bought a compaq mini CQ10 405DX from Best Buy Black Friday sale last year.

I've upgraded ram to 2GB and my system has had no problems booting up the included Windows XP.

Next, I tried upgrading my hard drive to a 500GB WD Blue Scorpion(?) drive in preparation of doing a Snow Leopard install. I tried to follow instructions from mymacnetbook - but I could not even get my SL 10.6.2 install disk to boot (I get a KP with an error that basically says my proc is not supported). I thought the chameleon utility needed a viable/ bootable MBR.

I tried installing Ubuntu 9.0 - and kept getting a 'no bootable disk' error.

I thought the hard drive was faulty - but WD diagnostics cleared it of any errors. I tried using the same hard drive in another computer and it booted up Ubuntu normally.

Next I thought the issue was maybe its a Compaq - some sort of copy protection. So I used XML drive imaging software to image my WinXP original hard drive. I've gotten mixed results - first time I did it - the built in web explorer kept booting. When I tried booting to WinXP - I got a 'no bootable disk' error. Subsequent attempts resulted in no bootable disk and the built in explorer wont even boot up.

I also tried using an old WinXP install disk to do a fresh install. On boot up, I only get BSOD. Same result with a Vista Basic install disk.

Im out of ideas - any help/insight would be appreciated.

MissedOut

MissedOut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I bought a compaq mini CQ10 405DX from Best Buy Black Friday sale last year.

I've upgraded ram to 2GB and my system has had no problems booting up the included Windows XP.

Next, I tried upgrading my hard drive to a 500GB WD Blue Scorpion(?) drive in preparation of doing a Snow Leopard install. I tried to follow instructions from mymacnetbook - but I could not even get my SL 10.6.2 install disk to boot (I get a KP with an error that basically says my proc is not supported). I thought the chameleon utility needed a viable/ bootable MBR.

I tried installing Ubuntu 9.0 - and kept getting a 'no bootable disk' error.

I thought the hard drive was faulty - but WD diagnostics cleared it of any errors. I tried using the same hard drive in another computer and it booted up Ubuntu normally.

Next I thought the issue was maybe its a Compaq - some sort of copy protection. So I used XML drive imaging software to image my WinXP original hard drive. I've gotten mixed results - first time I did it - the built in web explorer kept booting. When I tried booting to WinXP - I got a 'no bootable disk' error. Subsequent attempts resulted in no bootable disk and the built in explorer wont even boot up.

I also tried using an old WinXP install disk to do a fresh install. On boot up, I only get BSOD. Same result with a Vista Basic install disk.

Im out of ideas - any help/insight would be appreciated.

mm, I have the 525DX, (the upgrade from yours with 250 GB HDD included) and all you have to do is make a new partition(at least 10 GB), format it with FAT32 or NTFS, download iATKOS S3 v2 from piratebay or wherever. burn it to a DVD at lowest speed with magiciso, or any other. boot from the CD/DVD, (might have to changee BIOS settings) and at prompt press F8, and type this (you should see boot: at bottom left corner):type:

-v cpus=1 busratio=20 arch=i386

just like that. select your language & arrow, then after a while u'll see iAtkos Dvd..............

at the top go to utilities; go to disk utility. format the partition u made to the mac kind with *JOURNALING*.

after that, exit disk utility and click customize.if you know ur hardware specifications select correct drivers, and personally, iselected PCI EFI chameleon one for bootloader. you can select graphics enabler, and when you get to mouse/keyboard select voodoo. After customize go to install && install it. it should take about 30 minutes.and after restart when chameleon loads, type -v cpus=1 busratio=20 arch=i386 again to be safe. you will go through installation, dont put any personal stuff in there of course, set up ur acct., and ur done!!

if u run into problems, reply back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy