Boot Camp stops working if 2nd hdd installed instead of superdrive

3tc

2 posts in this topic

hello,

i have a macbook pro 17" 2007 (3,1) and swapped the superdrive for a sata pata hdd adapter (and a hdd obviously) and had no problems so far, everything worked perfectly.

i tried to install win7 via bootcamp, couldn't boot from install dvd with two different external usb dvd drives, opened the macbook, took the 2nd hdd adapter out, superdrive in again and the dvd bootet just fine, installed windows, worked perfectly for a day, but stopped as i put the 2nd hdd back in. suddenly i have the choice between two "Windows" labeled symbols (in diskutil there's just osx, win and the 200mb partl) and both of them just show me "missing operating system" if selected.

osx works though and the 2nd hdd has nothing to do with it as windows ist on the first one too...

any ideas?

• 2 months later...
hello,

i have a macbook pro 17" 2007 (3,1) and swapped the superdrive for a sata pata hdd adapter (and a hdd obviously) and had no problems so far, everything worked perfectly.

i tried to install win7 via bootcamp, couldn't boot from install dvd with two different external usb dvd drives, opened the macbook, took the 2nd hdd adapter out, superdrive in again and the dvd bootet just fine, installed windows, worked perfectly for a day, but stopped as i put the 2nd hdd back in. suddenly i have the choice between two "Windows" labeled symbols (in diskutil there's just osx, win and the 200mb partl) and both of them just show me "missing operating system" if selected.

osx works though and the 2nd hdd has nothing to do with it as windows ist on the first one too...

any ideas?

Are you sure that your windows partition is marked as "active"? Often switching hdds can cause windows to lose the active mark and it needs it to boot. Use diskpart from your win install DVD to mark the part.

good luck

-dan