• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

jrsdead

jrsdead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Rhapsody seems to be getting a bit more attention about here recently so i was wondering what you all think and know about A/UX. Has anyone out there any experience using this early version of a cross between UNIX and Mac OS? What machines can it run on? Can it be ran in an emulator (i dont think it can neeeding specific M68k hardware features) if so what ROM and where to find it (the ROM)?

jrsdead

Rhapsody Guru

Rhapsody Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Gurus
  • 239 posts
Well I have used a Macintosh SE/30 with System 7.0 and I used A/UX and I think it is interesting. However I think the Mach kernel in Rhapsody is by far more useful (in my humble opinion). By the way, sweet avatar there pal!

Guru

jrsdead

jrsdead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks man so an SE/30 will run a/ux?

Rhapsody Guru

Rhapsody Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Gurus
  • 239 posts
Sure dude! Try it sometime!

sandwer

sandwer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 97 posts

Sure dude! Try it sometime!

All the pitfalls you will encounter are listed on this great site. Wish it had been around when I was mucking about with a/ux years ago. Burn all cds at 1.0x speed and use a genuine 1x apple cd drive <grin>

http://www.aux-penel...om/hardware.htm

//R

Paquito

Paquito

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Nope, this is a no-show on an emulator. If you'd want to take this for a ride, a Quadra is a safe bet.

Anyway, to those interested, I've seeded this 'somewhere' :sorcerer:

AriX

AriX

InsanelyGeeky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Yes, I've tried this on three 68k emulators, and it hasn't worked on any of them, with different problems each time. A/UX is cool though...

@ Paquito - Call it "the green demon"

shtoink

shtoink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Chainsaws and just about anything else mechanical
The primary issue with it not working with an emulator is that it needs the math co-processor and those aren't emulated from what I remember. I actually had a system that AU/X should have run on, but I couldn't get the damn CDROM to boot. I have a feeling that it was about dead, though. I still have all the images and stuff for AU/X, but I never finished the prject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy