Leopard Installation Method

mingistech

258 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity, are you guys going to be uninstalling tiger? If it is stable, I guess I will be getting rid of it. If I want to do that, how would I?

Hey, if you're brave enough, go for it. I did. Worked like a charm. Leopard is faster then Tiger on my Mac mini, and very very stable (not one single crash yet). The new iChat, Safari 3, Spaces, Spotlight Updates, Help Updates, Vector Resizing - it's all brilliant and stable. Go for it.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys going to be uninstalling tiger? If it is stable, I guess I will be getting rid of it. If I want to do that, how would I?

Definitely not. I have a mactel mini and I've already had 2 crashes when trying to wake it up from screensaver. I am not going to say much because this is not the place for it, but I am back in Tiger because I use my mini as a web server/ftp server for a few people and I couldn't keep it down any longer.

I tried to load Leopard on my PPC Powermac G4 dual 800 (I regularly use my G5 but I experiment on the G4). I used toast to copy the 10.5 dmg to a DL disk. I also couldn't get my DL disk to boot by holding the option key down nor by holding down the c key. I finally succeeded by erasing one of my additional drives (I call it drivec) and then used the disk utility to restore from my 10.5 DL disk to destination drivec. After that finished, I changed the startup disk to drivec and rebooted. Once the Leopard install came up I installed over Tiger 10.4.7 on my main drive. After that was done I erased drivec and made sure my main drive was the startup drive. Now all is well. So far no problems.

AWESOME! I now have 10.5 installed, but it seems like I put it on the wrong partition. I put it on the one with tiger. It just upgraded it to 10.5. How do I get rid of the second partition I set up using bootcamp. I cannot select anything in the disk utility. I am down to 8.2gb on an 80gb drive. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Also, I am running Time Machine, and it seems to be taking FOREVER. The bar is barely moving, at like 1 or 2% I think, and it has been going for 30 minutes.

Hello,

I have a problem while installing Leopard and would like to know if someone else has it too : the installer stalls when comes the time to install the BSD Subsystem : it says "5 minutes" forever :-(

Here's what I did :

1 - Restore the dmg to a HFS+ journalized volume

2 - Start from this volume

3 - Install to a HFS+ journalized volume.

Config : PowerMac G5 2x2.5 Ghz 2Gb Ram.

ThanX!

For people attemting to burn Leopard on a single-layer DVD by removing xCode: using the Carbon Copy app method does not provide a bootable Leopard DVD for installation.

I performed what a previous poster had suggested which involved making a new 4.7 disk image via Disk Utility and using the Carbon Copy application to copy the contents of the (mounted) Leopard disk image to the newly created disk image from Disk Utility. Using the Carbon Copy app, before cloning the Leopard image onto the new disk image, I removed the xCode folder to guarantee that enough space was available on the disk image to be burned onto a SL DVD. Once the cloning was complete, I burned the new disk image through Toast, but found that I wasn't able to direclty boot from the DVD (the start-up screen would remain at the grey Apple logo). I burned the DVD a second time using the Disk Utility app, but results were the same.

I did, however, manage to install Leopard via the external hard drive method, restoring the Leopard disk image to a partition on the hard drive through Disk Utility. Currently typing in Leopard. :construction:

previous poster? did you mean "my" method?

Well, I recommend burning the new DMG with DiskUtility (NOT TOAST!). Toast crashed my DVD-RW. I think it is important to reboot after CCC has cloned the image because the Mac really works slowly after that process.

Thus: Reboot & burn with Apple's Disk Utility.

This Method workes fine for me (native, new installation). I'm writing this using Leopard :construction:

I tried it another way that I haven't seen mentioned in these threads anywhere,

so maybe it's extremely stupid, but I can't find a problem with it,

apart from not working when trying to actually install... ;-)

That's what I did:

- mount the dmg in the finder

- drag + drop the mounted volume on Toast

- remove xcode tools from the toast file list to reduce file size below 4,7 GB

- burn on a single layer DVD, yay !!

Clever, huh...? Or not...? And if so, why not...?

--------------------------------

The resulting DVD mounts like a regular installation disc in Tiger, and also shows up as a

bootable startup volume in system preferences, but when trying to install or boot

from this disc, my Mac just boots up in normal Tiger mode...!!

Also, when holding the alt key at startup, the DVD does not show up, although it

shows up in the startup volume preferences ?!?

Installing from the mounted dmg also didn't work, the farthest I got was the grey

"no smoking" symbol... (I have a free 40 GB HFS+ partition on PPC Dual G5)

------------------------------

I then tried to install by doubleclicking System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

and it finally started installation, but I only came to the same point like one of the former posters,

which means it halts seemingly forever right after completing BSD Subsystem...

What am I doing wrong...???

Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp Pleeeeeease !

Thanks in advance...

I then tried to install by doubleclicking System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

and it finally started installation, but I only came to the same point like one of the former posters,

which means it halts seemingly forever right after completing BSD Subsystem...

As I stated before, I have exactly the same problem when installing from a partition where I recovered the original dmg (I also booted from this partition).

I'm trying a few things and keep you in touch.

previous poster? did you mean "my" method?

Well, I recommend burning the new DMG with DiskUtility (NOT TOAST!). Toast crashed my DVD-RW. I think it is important to reboot after CCC has cloned the image because the Mac really works slowly after that process.

Thus: Reboot & burn with Apple's Disk Utility.

This Method workes fine for me (native, new installation). I'm writing this using Leopard :sorcerer:

Indeed. Don't use Toast if you want a bootable DVD. Disk Utility is the way to go.

ok so i took out xcode using carbon cloner, then i converted the dmg to iso, but it was not a bootable? f*** i don't know...

what program are you using to burn things baby?

I am burning using xp..

XP cannot burn bootable DMGs. Not physically possible. You MUST use a Mac.

Well, I actually said it doesn't work, didn't I...?

Sorry if I confused anybody...

I should be sorry. Can I use target disk mode. I have a B&W G3 with an almost empty partiton. Would the iBook boot off off the G3 HD ?

I was trying hard to install leopard on my ibook g4, but without DL disc (I have no DL burner) it was quite hard. Especialy, becouse my ibook still is running under panther, not tiger. First, I tried booting from external drive - no bonus there, it won't boot. No idea why, it just refused to... Second, I was poking with possibility of removing some files from Leo DVD - of course whitout any success ;-) I even burned three differen discs, but neither of them booted. Ok, want to play hard? Let's play hard! ;-)

So I played - first, using disk target mode I formated and partitioned ibook's hardrive, then restored DVD image to the second partition - voila! It booted without any problem, and 28 minutes later (1,2 GHz, 512 RAM, 6 GB of data - quite achievement) computer rebooted in Leopard. That's it!

One problem still - time machine is not so pretty as on Steve's demo :/ I don't think it will ever be - probably Radeon 9200 is too weak for that. Pity :/

Anyway - having two macs is the best way to install this. Escpecialy that my MBP is my "production" machine, and ibook just a toy ;-)

is anyone on a G4? Can someone post how they installed on that?

G4 Sawtooth. Boots to install screen using method in other thread, but my DVD burner is {censored}, and keeps trying to reread the DVD over & over, when I get time, ill replace it with a pioneer & try again.

my predicament:

i wass wondering if i could install leopard onto my firewire ipod. and then just boot into leopard from my ipod when ever i want. would it be possible to do that? i have a imac g4 1.25ghz. i dont want to install leopard onto y machine because of its unstability. could i install the system onto my ipod?

WOW this is a busy forum..

Lepord brings out the tigger in us I guess.....

I've never seen such a busy forum....

Still awaiting whether EFI on LEP and whether Hack users tried without hack...of course doing so greatly increases your chances of a unstable/un-bootable system.

:-)