[Help] Dell Latitude E6400

congotim

65 posts in this topic

Sadly I cannot post to the forum that got me all set up and running properly, which was the e6400/e6500 post, but maybe someone here can help. I am running a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop and it works great. I am all the way up to 10.6.6 and the only thing that I cant seem to get to work properly is my video display. I am perpetually stuck at a 1280x768 display. I am running the NVS Quadro 160M, but I just cannot seem to find the right kext, or maybe I am not editing the right supporting file... I dont know. This is what I see in system profiler about my card:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a42

Revision ID: 0x0007

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

And this is my plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>blacklist</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

So what am I missing? Can someone help a fella out? I wouldnt be surprised one bit if I am simply not doing it right or skipping a step... Thanks!

Hello,

Just updated my Dell Latitude E6400 from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6.

1. To install OSX i use this guide:

[iNSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

I use empty DVD with this OSX - SnowOSX Universal 10.6.2 v3.6 Intel Only, this works fine on my E6400.

2. Then, after add kext from this tutorial:

64-bitHackintosh Specifically for the Latitude E6400/E6500.pdf

Additional_Kexts_for_E6400_E6500.zip and Extras_for_E6400_E6500.zip (thanks to carman23)

I was able to use Snow Leopard on my Latitude E6400. This kext and extras set up graphic, sound, LAN, webcam and keyboard to work in my E6400. I still need to set up SD Card Reader, WiFi, Trackpad and volume to work.

To make WiFi and SD Card Reader to work i needed this kext: Broadcom43XXFamily.kext and VoodooSDHC.kext ( 4.3MB )

3. When system run after next reboot i added kext (used Kext Helper to install) and /extra folder from this pack (just copy them and replace yours). This pack works perfectly with my 64bit OSX.

jichi_E6500_10.6.6_i386.tar.bz2 ( 12.41 MB ) (thanks to jichj - HCL 10.6.6/Portables)

This fix trackpad and volume in my E6400.

3a. If you find problem with volume control - slider changes but volume doesn't - you need to replace VoodooHDA

(thanks to pcrew): download 32/64bit VoodooHDA.kext ( 230.49K )

4. Then after reboot, i was able to run system update, witch found new update for: OSX 10.6.6, airport, itunes and some more. Downloaded them, installed and after reboot. System starts OK, but without sound. So went to S/L/E and i deleted AppleHDA.kext

Next reboot and everything works wink_anim.gif

post-695598-1295216956_thumb.jpg post-695598-1295814961_thumb.jpg post-695598-1295820516_thumb.jpg

UPDATE 6/03/2011:

After playing with some kext, got kelner panic, so do installation again from beginning. When i replace my /extra with jichj pack, need to delete ApplePS2Controller.kext from S/L/E. This help me with TrackPad.

UPDATE 10/04/2011:

Hi, today got updated my hackintosh to SL 10.6.7, from system update.

There was no problems at all, works fine ;P

post-695598-1303227567_thumb.jpg

All the best, Tom.

I used kexthelper once and I got kernel panic so now I'm a bit scared using this tool, so are you positive that It will work using this tutorial?

Hello,

Just updated my Dell Latitude E6400 from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6.

1. To install OSX i use this guide:

[iNSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

2. Then, after add kext from this tutorial:

64-bitHackintosh Specifically for the Latitude E6400/E6500.pdf

i was able to use Snow Leopard on my Latitude E6400. This set up graphic, sound, LAN, webcam and keyboard to work.

In my case i still need to set up SD Card, WiFi and Trackpad and volume to work.

To make WiFi and SD Card Reader to work i needed this kext: Broadcom43XXFamily.kext and VoodooSDHC.kext

3. When system run after next reboot i add kext (used Kext Helper to install) and /extra folder from this pack (just copy them and replace yours). This pack works perfectly with my 64bit OS X.

jichi_E6500_10.6.6_i386.tar.bz2

4. Then after reboot, i was able to run system update, witch found new update for: OSX 10.6.6, airport, itunes and some more. Downloaded them, installed and after reboot. System starts OK, but without sound. So went to S/L/E and i deleted AppleHDA.kext

Next reboot and everything works :)

All the best, Tom.

I used kexthelper once and I got kernel panic so now I'm a bit scared using this tool, so are you positive that It will work using this tutorial?

I used kext helper on my previous SL 10.6.3 and present 10.6.6 without any problems. This tutorial was the only way for me to upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6.

p.s. i have only Snow Leopard OSX on my E6400, Windows is on my desktop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Sadly I cannot post to the forum that got me all set up and running properly, which was the e6400/e6500 post, but maybe someone here can help. I am running a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop and it works great. I am all the way up to 10.6.6 and the only thing that I cant seem to get to work properly is my video display. I am perpetually stuck at a 1280x768 display. I am running the NVS Quadro 160M, but I just cannot seem to find the right kext, or maybe I am not editing the right supporting file... I dont know. This is what I see in system profiler about my card:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a42

Revision ID: 0x0007

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

And this is my plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>blacklist</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

So what am I missing? Can someone help a fella out? I wouldnt be surprised one bit if I am simply not doing it right or skipping a step... Thanks!

Ok, so I finally found that my card is not supported. I thought I was running an NVIDIA Quadro, but i am running the built in Intel graphics card, which is weak... Now I have a new issue that I can't quite get a hold of. For some reason, when my machine boots up, it goes to a black screen. If I do a verbose boot, it runs through everything and then goes to black when it would normally get to the login screen.

HOWEVER, if I boot into safe mode, I get the login screen just fine. That makes sense, so it's probably a kext issue somewhere. What is confusing me the most, though, is that, when I reboot after being in Safe Mode... it works!! Then I reboot again and it doesnt. So it only works in safe mode and the immediate reboot after safe mode. Might anyone have some insight on this? I did go through the logs of things happening when the system is starting up and the only thing different between the boot after safe mode and a regular boot is the following error:

IS: Invalid firmware max backlight setting

Everything I have found on this so far sounds like it causes an issue with being able to change screen brightness, but it makes my screen completely black...

Thanks anyone for any help!!

• 3 months later...

Hi there, got my system refreshed.

Now i used clean retail DVD Snow Leopard and to install used Xbooter 1.3 and then Chameleon 2.0 RC5 v747.

Have here new edited SMBOOT.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist for MacBookPro5,1 with FSB fix for E6400 and dsdt.aml from E6500 with working power management.

System profile :

Dell Latitude E6400 Hackintosh

OSX - Snow Leopard 10.6.7

CPU - Intel C2D T9600 2.80GHz

RAM - 4096MB 800MHz DDR2

GPU - nVidia Quadro NVS 160M 256MB

WiFI - WLAN 1397 802.11 a/b/g/N

LCD - 14.1 WXGA+ LED

Installed system with XBooter CD inside CDRom, then installed update 10.6.7 from file, rebooted with XBooter CD, then installed Chameleon, then installed kexts, dsdt.aml and plist from archive zip (extra/extension and S/L/E).

Rebooted system without CD XBooter, everything works.

Installation tutorial [Polish] - http://tinyurl.com/6zpvvd5

kexts from my E6400 with DSDT and S/L/E kexts [5.1MB] - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KSZ69OHA

XBooter v1.3 by witucha0 [22.4MB] - http://cl.ly/3T3D3C1m0h0j1d0O3s3b

Update June 29 2011

- new FakeSMC.kext v.3.1.0 and SMBIOS.plist with MBP5,1 SLE and Extra folder ( 7.66MB )

- new Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r828.zip ( 1.06MB )

working: sleep, but need to turn off hibernation ( sudo pmset hibernatemode 0 )

Update July 7 2011 - apple combo update 10.6.8

- before update, need to install new Chameleon Wizard 2.0, then this will install Chameleon 2.0 RC5 rev.1078

- on fresh SL OSX 10.6.7 installed combo update 10.6.8 from apple website. After replaced kexts: AppleACPIPlatform.kext v.1.3.5 and IOPCIFamily.kext v.2.6 (from 10.6.7) and system boot up.

Else system will freeze at BOOT after the PCI configuration begin message.

Need to delete AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext v.1.3.5 and IOPCIFamily.kext v.2.6 from 10.6.7 [491.84 K]

All the best.

post-695598-1309006901_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I trashed my whole installation trying to install 10.6.8 .... Did you had any luck on this? I've got a TM Backup on my Time Capsule but I think it's time to clean up and reinstall everything from scratch ^^

So many thanks for your files koliberK!

greetz

min3z

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips koliberK -- I couldn't find the DSDT in the archive with your kexts.

I made my own DSDT with the GUI patcher but using your kext setup and the pmset command, I still can't get my system to sleep (and wake). I have never succeeded in this with this computer -- e6400 with Quadro

Cheers

edit: Nevermind... found the dsdt in the second link with kexts. Going to try it now to see if sleep works

edit2: it worked! But it will only sleep & wake once. If I try to sleep & wake a second time in a given uptime, it will fail the second time. It seems to lose the sleep mode setting as it makes a different noise like its shutting down the second sleep.

edit3: Also I can't load the VoodooPS2 kext that you included... any tips there? I can use my trackpad just fine with ApplePS2 when i erase the trackpad plugin within it... but there is no side-scrolling or configuration of any kind which is annoying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

One of my friend has an e6500 10.7 install DVD made for e6500 only. It seems to be sooo easy to just install from that dvd, so I wonder if somebody wants to make a custom install dvd for e6400? I think a lot of members would appreciate it soo much;)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

just got updated my E6400 to Lion 10.7

Used kexts from my preview posts, but need to delete I080211family and Brcm43xx.

Then for my WiFi - WLAN 1397 802.11 a/b/g/N which is Broadcom 4315 compatible,

I was able to use this Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext.zip (4.31MB)

Sound and volume control works fine with this VoodooHDA.kext (216.88 KB)

As well need to delete AppleHDA each time after system update, if this kext show up, else KP :rolleyes:

My system profile :

Dell Latitude E6400 Hackintosh

OSX - Snow Leopard 10.6.7

CPU - Intel C2D T9600 2.80GHz

RAM - 4096MB 800MHz DDR2

LCD - 14.1 WXGA+ LED

• 2 months later...

I've followed the guides above I get to install 10.6 no issues (no kexts yet) Then I update to 10.6.7 and boots fine (no kexts yet)

Then I start to installt he kexts given above and I always have this issue where on first reboot the system hangs loading

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

What can I do, I have already tried to remove the file without luck

Dell Latitude E6400

CPU - Intel C2D P8400 2.26GHz

RAM - 4096MB 800MHz DDR2

LCD - 14.1 WXGA+ LED

• 1 month later...

um, for those still having issues with the E6400 (latitude), i CCC'd my D630 install to ext. HD and it booted my E6400 just fine. simplest dual-boot i've done yet. Windows7 on the internal drive, OSx86 Lion on the external. both running fine, no boot issues, just no sound yet on Lion, but i'm still working on it.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just bought a refurbished DELL E6400 to install snow leopard on it. I installed it using XBooter CD and installed Chameleon and put the files in the extra folder. But now I'm stuck without a source to download kext files and I'm only able to boot by using XBooter CD. So could @koliberK or somebody who still has those files please upload them? It would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

I can upload this file to Dropbox, but for now i have 4GB limit, if you can refer and invite your friends, than i will upgrade more quickly for 6GB space

use this link -> http://db.tt/vY3B22v

SLE and E/E files you can find here https://www.dropbox....bbbw/0PGV1VtsZh

Recently i moved all kexts from E/E to S/L/E.

To resolved the wifi issue in Lion after update to 10.7.3, delete I08021family.kext , next install Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext :P

And try to use new DSDT https://www.dropbox....bbbw/0PGV1VtsZh

- apple friendly device names changes
- better graphic performance on battery
- some _SUN for PCI devices
- SD-Card reader injection
- Firewire injection
- AHCI now defined as ICH10 for SATA

Attachments:

10.7.2-E6400.zip.001 (1048.58 MB)

10.7.2-E6400.zip.002 (1048.58 MB)

10.7.2-E6400.zip.003 (1048.58 MB)

10.7.2-E6400.zip.004 (1048.58 MB)

10.7.2-E6400.zip.005 (1048.58 MB)

10.7.2-E6400.zip.006 (871.88 MB)

dsdt.aml (0.03 MB)

Extra.8.2.2012.zip (5.97 MB)

SLE.8.2.2012.zip (5.44 MB)

Attachments will be available at least until 2012-07-09 10:32:58 CET.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey KoliberK:)

Nice to see that you finally made the preinstalled DMG, but the site you have uploaded isn't really let us download it:( It requires payment to get 5.7GB transfer. WOuld you be able to upload it to different site?

thanks,

dooky

Thanks Man, but I've managed to download it from the first place already. It took only 2 euros, but well worth it:)

I had to reinstall the chameleon after moved it to a partition, restart the apple setup, change the language from polish, remove your user and I've got a perfect, shiny new OS:)

A big thanks for that!

I've got only one job left, to replace the built-in Wifi with Dell 1390 one from D630.

I think I've seen that you made a d630 as well recently with lion. I wonder did you have to install any kext, or is it recognized 1390 by default?

Thanks,

Dooky

• Like 1