Virtualbox 4.0: Snow Leopard 10.6.6 post installation (with Xcode+iOS SDK 4.2)

acseven

14 posts in this topic

Hi!,

I have successfully installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.6) on my computer, and right now have a couple of issues, nothing too critical. Just wanted to leave my installation steps, should anyone use it, and ask for some pointers on the stuff I don't have running yet (if possible)

So, first off, my computer main specs:

• Processor: Intel Core Duo E5500 2.4Ghz
  • Motherboard: Abit FP-in9 SLi
  • RAM: 6 Gb RAM
  • Graphics: nVidia GTS250 (2x SLi)
  • Monitor: 1680x1050x32 (Samsung LCD)

:D I used a guide I found on sysprobs.com, and that served it's purpose fairly well. I basically installed 10.6.0 and downloaded the combo update to 10.6.6. Issues found during installation, that may be useful for others:

• Hardware Virtualization: the first tries Virtualbox was reporting that I hadn't hardware VT enabled/present. This is some kind of bug with my abit MB (I think), because it is detected if you go to the BIOS, disable it and re-enable it.
  • Virtual drive space: I started off with a 10Gb drive. That's a big no-no, considering I started with a Snow Leopard 10.6.0 disk and went on with the combo install and after that I installed iOS SDK 4.2 + Xcode (9Gb+). For this I had to reinstall SL on a 20Gb disk - and I currently have only 2Gb free space. You can delete lots of stuff, but it doesn't give you more than 1-2Gb (google for Monolingual).
  • Mouse: I needed to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to make this to work after the 10.6.6 combo update. Basically I did not have any mouse, and I had to apply the IOUSB kext patch to make it work. But beware: Mac OS X without a mouse is hell to use - one tip CTRL+F7 makes the TAB key cycle normal, through every window option, Windows key+O accepts an option (yeah, like the Enter key in Windows/every command line terminal and doesn't work on OS X!) and Windows key+space bar pops up Spotlight search - took me ages to find this and lots of raging.
  • Keyboard: After I got the mouse working then I didn't have keyboard. Nice. I reapplied the IO USB kext again (this time a file I found on the web), and it started working again. I'm not sure if it was the VoodooPS2 fix that did it - I saw the Profiler logs and this apparently wasn't starting up - hence IO USB was the most likely solution
  • Screen resolution: well, as snow leopard is not officially supported, there's no seamless integration. That would be excellent! Anyway, in order to fix my screen resolution to the full size of my LCD screen I had to add the Graphics Mode fix in both com.apple.Boot.plist files (found in /Extra and /Library/Preferences/System Configuration), after kernel flags
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1680x1050x32</string>

Also, virtualbox scale mode works fine, so that's great

;) As for stuff that isn't working - I don't know to make it work, or simply it doesn't work:

1. Quartz Extreme: this doesn't work in Virtualbox. The nVidia card isnt't recognized in any way. I don't know if there's a solution for this, but I'm thinking this would make a lot of difference in the VM performance.
  2. Audio: it's not working, but I think I had it working on the first install. Don't need it for now, so I left at that;
  3. USB devices: I want to connect my iPhone to export the Xcode apps, but I am not getting how to do this. It is really the one thing that I need for now, and any input would be great ;) . I also can't connect a simple thing as a pendrive, all devices always show as busy in Virtualbox. (Updated: it works!! I created an USB filter where I kept only the Apple vendor ID - dunno if this is the fix, but I won't touch it any further!)
  4. Shutdown/reboot: this is a nag, because it never works. The OS always crashes on reboot/shutdown, and after that it sometimes only boots the second time after. Don't know what's happening here, I tried a lot of kexts, none worked. Last thing tried was adding "-f arch=i386 pmVersion=20" on the com.apple.Boot.plist files, but still the same.

And of course, a lot of assistance came from the insanelyMac forums search!

Thanks! ;)

For usb in vbox 4.0.2 u need to install extension pack in vbox for audio if u use intel HD audio i do a little trick i install voodoohda and i got a kernel panic so i choose AC97 in vbox boot and after i do a voodoohda-uninstall and after a kextutility and reboot chossing intel HD audio and it works for me. dont ask me why :(

but i have a question how do you make résolution 1680x1050x32 because me the higher i get when i edit the .plist after reboot it 1280x1024 or something like that

sorry for my english im quebecois

yangg

all right i manage to get it fix with this site http://www.sysprobs.com/increase-mac-os-vi...x-vmware-player method 2 thanks before your post i was thinking it was impossible thanks

and do you have a crash of the desktop if you press apple logo and about this mac because i got one from the start (on first boot) ?? and did you have a lag on video with quicktime ?? or my codec are wrong maybe

When i fix the about this mac i lose my sound the icon still there but i can't click on it so i think im missing a part of the whole .kext i try to resintall Applehda.kext but it not really working did you find i way to fix the issue ?

another strange think is in "apercu" all my image are blank did he do the same thing with you i use iATKOS S3 v2 and i also have un retail .dmg of snow leopard

Hi Acseven,

I'm almost in the same situation and I just need the USB filter to work to see my iphone.... could you please show the settings or a screenshot of the USB filter that you modified in VirtualBox? That would really be great!! I've been spending the last hours just trying to get a USB device to work!

By the way, for the sound, there's a zip for the driver, I believe I found it in VirtualBox forums.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Acseven,

I'm almost in the same situation and I just need the USB filter to work to see my iphone.... could you please show the settings or a screenshot of the USB filter that you modified in VirtualBox? That would really be great!! I've been spending the last hours just trying to get a USB device to work!

By the way, for the sound, there's a zip for the driver, I believe I found it in VirtualBox forums.

Thanks

Alex

Hi!

Here you go - it's in portuguese, but the layout is the same. This case is for the iPad, maybe for the iPhone you can change the title

post-282636-1296391386_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Hi!

Here you go - it's in portuguese, but the layout is the same. This case is for the iPad, maybe for the iPhone you can change the title

post-282636-1296391386_thumb.jpg

Cheers

I tried doing the same for my iPod device, and I can see the virtualbox is connecting it (it has a checkmark next to it) but the os x doesn't recognize it not in itunes and not in xcode.. I was wondering which usb kext you found maybe it's one of them? hope you have some advice for me

pavel

• 2 weeks later...