HFS+ partition error

slusher

12 posts in this topic

Hello, I installed osx on my intel based machine, and it has all of the required components. Upon booting, i get an error that says HFS+ partition error. I dont know how to resolve this. my version is 10.4.6, and i'm pretty new to this. does anyone know what to do?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, like the other dude said. make sure it is set to PRIMARY PARTITION, and make sure the partition is SET TO ACTIVE. You can do all this with a utility called "SPFDISK."

What I did was I downloaded the UBCD iso file

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You will be impressed.

UBCD is a large collection of pc utilities, including SPFDISK

and give it to your friends because it is freeware.

After you set your partition as ACTIVE in ubcd restart your computer and is should Boot up in Mac Os 10.4.6

If it comes up with weird graphics or wont show graphics do this:

1. Startup computer while holding down shift

2. Remove the kext files that corespond to your graphics divice, (Delete the file, but make a backup of the kext files.)

3. Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility

4. Restart.

yea mind you SPFDISK is a MBR virus once its written you cant get that {censored} off. you need to do DOD drive cleansing before you can install another os or that lousy crappy boot manager appears. if you use the boot manager youll be sorrrrrrrry lol

Update.............

my issue is (see attached)

post-52144-1156321905_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's a virus.

He was being angrily sarcastic I think... spfdisk is in beta stage, with no official english support/help/notes, etc, but some use it and are very happy with it. osx86tester probably encountered some annoyance and ventilated his anger.

I've never used it and can't comment on wheter it's good or not. Might consider it seriously when the author will be serious about user support (info, forums, notes, etc).

Here's a favorable review about it: http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php/spfdiskreview

most HFS+ Errors can be fixed quickly by:

- booting from Install DVD -> Press F8

- at bootprompt type "-s"

- wait singleuser mode to be loaded

- do an "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" (remember to change to your osx drive!)

- Enter following commands:

"print" and look whick partition your osx partition is

"flag 1" or 2 or 3 ... which one you want (the one with OSX)

"quit" exit fdisk

- now "reboot"

most HFS+ Errors can be fixed quickly by:

- do an "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" (remember to change to your osx drive!)

"flag 1"

"quit" exit fdisk

1) that "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" process only makes a particular partition "active"

2) Using "quit" doesn't save the changes made during fdisk. You either must use the command "write" before using "quit" or instead, use the command "exit" which does save the changes.

3) for HFS+ partition errors, you want to rebuild the MBR partition table. To do that, you would use the command:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0
{where the "0' corresponds to the 1st hard drive, a "1" corresponds to the 2nd HDD, etc)

I believe the source of this error is usually that your OSX partition is not primary. If you used the guide found on this site and have Acronis OS Selector installed, you can use that software to convert the partition to from primary to logical, and then I was able to boot into OSX, although now I have a different issue, but that is for another thread and another time.

hope this helps!

• 3 years later...
Hello, I installed osx on my intel based machine, and it has all of the required components. Upon booting, i get an error that says HFS+ partition error. I dont know how to resolve this. my version is 10.4.6, and i'm pretty new to this. does anyone know what to do?

I'm going to take it that you're dual booting with windows. What version though?