Getting 9800GTX+ to be recognized correctly

elcapitan

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm a LONG time lurker here and I ran into an issue which I can't figure out. System profiler is showing the wrong video card. I have a GeForce 9800 GTX+ but when I got to System Profiler, I find this:

nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS OpenGL Engine

Displays:

DELL 2408WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

At first, I didn't really care what was listed because I just assumed that it was cosmetic but I ran some cinebench benchmarks on my Mac system then I booted into Windows7 and ran the tests there as well and there was a good difference.

The Mac had an OpenGL score of 24.88 while the windows counterpart hit 36.88. And to add more confusion, at least to me, Cinebench (on the Mac) displays my GFX board as a GeForce 9800 GTX+. At this point I'm not sure if what shows in system profiler is just cosmetic and the mac is just "slower" or if there really is an issue. Another odd thing, System Profiler has the Device ID of "0x0612", which according to this this website, http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...ibsaio/nvidia.c , is a GeForce 9800 GTX but of course System Profiler has it as the 8600 GTS.

Additionally, since I just updated to 10.6.6 with a new DSDT, I though that maybe the DSDT had the 8600 GTS card added to it. The DSDT I got was from DSDT Auto-Patcher, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523. I'm not sure what' fixes it has nor am I familiar with editing DSDT's but I did open it up and took a look. I did a search for "0x0612", the 9800 GTX Devide ID and nothing came up. So I then did a search for the 8600 GTS ID, 0x0400, and it came up with 3 hits but since I know almost jack squat about DSDT's, I'm not sure if I can just change those ID's to "0x0612" or not.

And another thing, I updated to Chameleon 2 RC5 (700) and I read you can use the prefpane to inject your video card but sadly, I couldn't figure out how. I would guess this would be the simplest and preferred way to get my card recognized correctly. And...that's where I'm at.

Here are the specs of my system

GA P35-DS3L

Core2Duo e8400

8 GB RAM

GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB

Kexts in E/E folder:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicron36xATA.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

DSDT:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/466835/dsdt.aml.zip

If I missed anything, let me know and sorry for the long read :-)

Thanks to whomever can share some light on this.

Update 1: So after combing a bit more through the DSDT, I found the GFX info and it has an nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS applied to it. Anyone know how to remove the GFX part? I've tried but I keep getting compiling errors.

Update 2: So now I'm starting to believe that my hack is seeing the right video card but just has the name wrong. And I'm guessing I can just update the name in the DSDT to the correct name. Anyone care to confirm? The only thing I'm still unsure about, if my guess is correct, is where is my hack getting the info for which card I have? There's nothing in my com.apple.Boot.plist which I believe is where efi strings get injected.

Update 3: Everything is fixed thanks to Gringo!

You're very lucky to have this card, it's extremely compatible and a great performer.

The 9800GTX+ 0x0612 works fine with just Chameleon GraphicsEnabler and unmodified nvidia drivers.

Owners of the other Geforce 9800GTX+ with dev ID 0x0613 are not so fortunate.

And I have a little extra bonus for you, courtesy Krazubu's NVEnabler.

First, install the latest version of Chameleon 2.0 RC5.

If your drive is GUID partitioned and only has OS X installed on it, you can use my manual install guide + files from here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649.0.html

Otherwise you can use iFa's spaghetti installer :( which is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Make sure to read everything before you start.

In /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, set GraphicsEnabler=y and VBIOS=y. If you're using a standard xml or text editor, follow the existing key/string syntax, like this guy failed to do: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1623042

If you're using Apple's Plist Editor (like you should) then it's a no-brainer.

I've removed the wrong video card from your DSDT and recompiled it for you.

Drop the attached DSDT.aml and nvidia.rom in /Extra

Reboot and check System Profiler. You should now see Geforce 9800GTX (no plus though :-) and the correct ROM revision.

If you're running 10.6.6, you can safely download and install the latest OS X drivers from nvidia.

If the installer won't run for you let me know and I'll show you how to fix that, all it takes is editing a text file inside the installer package.

The ROM is from my 9800GTX+, device ID 0x0612 like yours. Factory clocked (It's a Leadtek Winfast PX9800GTX+ if you want to compare). The ROM has been patched using Krazubu's NVEnabler. Both DVI outputs and analog TV-out works. The only thing that doesn't work is hotplugging between 2nd DVI and analog TV-out. I have not tested HDMI, I don't own any displays with HDMI input.

Make sure your primary display is plugged into the DVI connector that's physically closest to your motherboard, and remember only two outputs can work simultaneously, according to Krazubu this is a hardware limitation that we can't hack our way out of.

DSDT_9800GTX_ROM_elcapitan.zip

Let me know how it works for you.

• Like 1

Worked like a charm! Thanks Gringo! This was driving me batty the last 2 days!

Also, I think I know why I kept getting compiling errors when I would try to edit the DSDT. I think I either had extra or had some missing brackets. I'll do a more thorough compare later :-)

Quick question on downloading the NVidia drivers. Which one would I download? Obviously, there is nothing on NVidia's Driver Download page for the 9800 GTX.

Thanks again Gringo, I'm going to be able to sleep better tonight! :(

Quick question on downloading the NVidia drivers. Which one would I download?

It doesn't matter, anything 10.6.6 that you select lead to the same download:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx...f03-driver.html

Click 'supported products' and you'll see the driver is universal.

The drivers will not install if your model identifier isn't MacPro3,1, 4,1 or 5,1.

If you have this issue, either take this MacPro3,1 smbios.plist...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1617372 /EDIT - link fixed, sorry about that

...stick it in /extra and reboot, or mount the dmg, copy the .pkg to your desktop, right-click -> show contents, open Distribution.dist in a text editor and replace the MacPro model identifier with the model identifier you're using.

It doesn't matter, anything 10.6.6 that you select lead to the same download:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx...f03-driver.html

Click 'supported products' and you'll see the driver is universal.

The drivers will not install if your model identifier isn't MacPro3,1, 4,1 or 5,1.

If you have this issue, either take this MacPro3,1 smbios.plist...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=241981

...stick it in /extra and reboot, or mount the dmg, copy the .pkg to your desktop, right-click -> show contents, open Distribution.dist in a text editor and replace the MacPro model identifier with the model identifier you're using.

Everything worked like a charm! Thanks Gringo for taking the time!

Wow, even our resolution and refresh rate are the same. If you have a Samsung 943BX monitor like me then I'm officially spooked.

Nice scores!

The OpenGL 1.1 score is a bit strange but the rest looks fine, mine varies a bit too. Maybe your video card was just coming out of a lower power state? If that's true, then doing another pass should give you better results.

I have native Powermanagement/speedstepping going via Chameleon 2.0 RC5. I use the MacPro3,1 model identifier.

Not sure how that affects video card performance, I can't see if my video card clocks are changing because the fakesmc nvclock plugin kernel panics on my hack. I should try the latest version but I'm too lazy to take all the precautions right now..

Happy hacking.

Wow, even our resolution and refresh rate are the same. If you have a Samsung 943BX monitor like me then I'm officially spooked.

Nice scores!

The OpenGL 1.1 score is a bit strange but the rest looks fine, mine varies a bit too. Maybe your video card was just coming out of a lower power state? If that's true, then doing another pass should give you better results.

I have native Powermanagement/speedstepping going via Chameleon 2.0 RC5. I use the MacPro3,1 model identifier.

Not sure how that affects video card performance, I can't see if my video card clocks are changing because the fakesmc nvclock plugin kernel panics on my hack. I should try the latest version but I'm too lazy to take all the precautions right now..

Happy hacking.

Sorry to have spooked you but I intentionally matched the resolution and refresh rates to make the comparison even. I'm fine with the scores, I got the card for gaming mostly and I boot into Windows when I have the itch.

Same here.

Gaming performance is good on OS X native games with the 9800GTX + though.

Tomb Raider Anniversary, Doom III, Left4Dead 2, Portal all run fine. I don't have anything more demanding to try.

That's good to know. The hardest I've pushed it, gaming wise, on the Mac side is Plants vs. Zombies. In fact, I'm getting a zombie itch right now!

Hey Gringo, perhaps you can provide some insight. I've been running 10.6.2 for over a year now and recently decided to upgrade to 10.6.6.

I have an EVGA 9800GTX+ 512mb with the 0x0613 device ID. It's been working great all through 10.5 and up to 10.6.2. I got it running with QE/CI using EFI strings inserted into my boot.plist. It shows up in profiler as a 9800GTX DDL.

It has two DVI outputs and I have always had it hooked up to two monitors, a Dell via DVI and a Sharp LCD TV using a DVI to HDMI cable.

I applied the combo update to 10.6.6 to my backup (test) drive and fixed the kexts that I always have to fix when upgrading. When I boot verbose, everything seems to go fine and just when it seems like OS X is about to boot, it goes to a blank screen and nothing else happens. Any ideas?

This is the data from profiler that I get using the EFI strings in 10.6.2:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x0613

ROM Revision: 3172a

Displays:

DELL 2408WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Main Display: Yes

SHARP HDMI:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Television: Yes

So I unplugged the DVI->HDMI cable I was using to connect to the Sharp TV and now I can boot 10.6.6 with QE/CI. I didn't change any settings; still booting with vanilla graphics kexts after adding the EFI string to the boot.plist. If I boot up with both monitors plugged in, it appears to boot fully and then goes straight to a black screen on both monitors. If I boot to just the primary monitor and then plug in the second monitor after I am in OS X, I get an immediate KP. Any ideas about getting both running?

• 6 months later...
The 9800GTX+ 0x0612 works fine with just Chameleon GraphicsEnabler and unmodified nvidia drivers.

Owners of the other Geforce 9800GTX+ with dev ID 0x0613 are not so fortunate.

I know it's an old topic, but I'm having issues with my 9800 GTX+, ID 0x0613. Why would i be not so fortunate? is there any way to make the card work better, maybe supplying a fake ID?

The problem I'm having is that I'm getting a mere 7 fps at CineBench OpenGL test, while I would get 18-19 with Leopard 10.5.6. Trying to figure out what is going on here. Also, all my OpenGl Extension Viewr scores are around 280 fps @ 1920x1080.

I'm having fits with this.

My card is recognized as a 7900GS.

OpenGL extensions viewer is reporting my card correctly as a 9800GTX.

My test scores are attached. Dismal.

My dsdt is also attached, in case you have any recommendations. I also put the nvidia.rom in /Extra.

Rest of my configuration

GA-EP45-UD3P

Q6600 (not overclocked)

8gb RAM

9800GTX (not sure which version)

Chameleon 2.0 RC5

Any help is welcome.

EDIT:

This is from system profiler:

NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GS:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GS

Slot: PCI Slot 11

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x0612

ROM Revision: 3173a

2i6dw1y.png

dsdt.aml_2.zip

OK - I got it working, finally.

1. I used my current DSDT, even though is says that the card is a 7900.

2. I removed the EFI string from com.apple.Boot.plist (I don't know if this matters or not)

3. Set GraphicEnabler to Yes

4. Put the NVidia ROM in /Extra

5. Added NVInject 64 bit kext

6. Repaired permissions, erased extensions cache using OSx86 Tools

Now the card is recognized as 9800GTX and my OpenGL scores are much better.

zx01go.png

• Like 1