HELP Korg Legacy

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
In order to help you fix this, I need to see some diagnostic information from Chameleon. Use this com.apple.Boot.plist in extra:
Attached File  com.apple.Boot.plist.zip   797bytes   14 downloads
It has wait=y added which makes Chameleon output something like this and wait for a keypress:
http://3.bp.blogspot...h/chameleon.jpg
That is the information I'm interested in, please take a photo and attach it here.

You didn't confirm this before so I'm going to repeat it - make sure your monitor is plugged into the DVI port that's physically closest to your motherboard.

In your /Extra folder, create a new folder and name it Themes.
Unzip this folder inside:Attached File  Chameleon_2.0_RC5_default_theme.zip   829.88KB   8 downloads
This is the new default theme for Chameleon 2.0 RC5, modified for your native screen resolution (see theme.plist inside).
If you already have a Themes folder in /Extra, delete the folder "default" inside before unzipping this one.

I've also set Chameleon's boot screen resolution to 1680x1050 in the new com.apple.Boot.plist. This requires that your video card's VESA BIOS supports this mode. If you get garbled graphics or some other resolution please let me know and I'll change it back to a safe setting. Don't worry, you will still be able to boot.

When you reboot this time, Chameleon will go straight to the menu instead of displaying the countdown bar and wait for your input.
Press enter to boot the highlighted partition and take a photo of the diagnostic output from Chameleon.

Do you still have the DVD that you installed from?
It would probably be a good idea to boot it, run Disk Utility (find it in the tools menu) and do a disk repair and fix permissions.
You cannot do a disk repair from the Disk Utility in your Utilities folder, that's why I'm asking you to boot from the DVD.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Gringo

Yes my Monitor is plugged in the DVI slot.
I think i still have the DVD i installed from and will do as you told me
I will read everything closely and tell you tomorrow the results. Because i am coming home today late in the night.
Cheers so long.

Hades

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Gringo

I am back and did everything (hopefully) you told me and i took a picture of the output you wanted.
Booting was without problem and i have now the 1680x1050 resolution (sigh)
Attached File  DSCN0104.JPG   2.62MB   17 downloads
Unfortunatly i couldn´t boot from the DVD i installed . Can´t find it anymore :(
If it helps i think the OSX Tools can do at least a repair permissions ?!

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts

If it helps i think the OSX Tools can do at least a repair permissions ?!

Don't use OS X Tools on Snow Leopard, it is old and outdated, promises things that it can't deliver, and one click in the wrong place can ruin your whole installation. I hope you haven't used it.
To repair permissions, use Apple's own Disk Utility. Note that Disk Utility can't repair permissions on extensions that you have copied to /System/Library/Extensions yourself, you must do that manually.

Permissions on the files in /Extra and /Extra/Extensions don't matter, Chameleon is responsible for loading those and it doesn't care about permissions and ownership.

As I said, you cannot do a disk repair on a running system, much like you can't do repairs with chkdsk on your Windows system drive while it's running. That's why you must do it while booted from an install DVD.

That funny red Apple in your photo is from TonyMac's iBoot CD/Multibeast combo. This tells me that you haven't done what I said. Again - please understand that I can't help you if you don't follow my instructions.

Some information is missing (memory identification) from the Chameleon diagnostics, that means that haven't installed the latest version of Chameleon 2.0 RC5 like I asked you to do. Tell me how you installed it, where you got the files etc etc.

Apart from that, it looks fine. I still might have some ideas on how to fix ethernet and graphics. Though both should be working by now.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi
OSX Tool No i dont use any tool now without your permission ;)
I have made a Folder in /Extra called Themes cause i hadn´t one there and copied the folder called default in it. I noticed that it wasent loaded cause there was a chameleon pic in it and i still saw the red apple...
I downloaded a installer package from here and installed it it was a .dmg and then reboot
There are some many packages floating around in here it seems it wasent the right one
Graphic working in the 1680x1050 resolution but still only 32 gigs card detected....ethernet also working
Have to dig through my DVD´s cause my wife cleaned up my desk here....
Apart from repair permission and disc repair i did every step you told me

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
Is there a file in your /Extra folder hierarchy called preboot.dmg or initrd.dmg?
If yes, please zip it and attach it here, I need to see the contents to make sure that it's safe for you to delete it.

Either way, something strange is going on.

Extra/Themes/Default should now contain the new default Chameleon 2.0 RC5 theme. I've set your com.apple.Boot.plist to load that theme. And, actually, even with out the line "Theme=Default", it should still load that theme.

Yet, your photo of Chameleon shows the funny red apple from TonyMac's iBoot, which, as you say is not inside the Themes/Default folder!
There are two ways (that I know of) that Chameleon can display that image. Either it's loaded from a folder named Themes "somewhere", or it's embedded in the code itself.

So, either you have an older version of Chameleon from TonyMac installed that was compiled with an embedded theme, or you have two installations of Chameleon - one of them on your system drive and the other on your EFI partition or somewhere else. The former is not difficult to fix, but the latter is unknown territory for me, I don't know how to delete boot0 and boot1h if they have been installed to the wrong place.

We have to discover which it is.

First eject any DVD/CDs, USB flash drives and unplug any external hard drives that you have attached.

Then run Terminal and type diskutil list. I need to see this information in order to determine what to do next.

Also (maybe I should have been clearer about this) where did you get the version of Chameleon that you installed from? As you said there are many, so please provide a link.

The latest version of Chameleon 2.0 RC5 is here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075
But don't download anything from there (yet). I think it would be better to install Chameleon from Terminal by hand because this time I (we) need to be exactly sure what goes where. And I have never used iFab's installer.

Hey, so far so good. At least you have working ethernet and native resolution, faster boot, no messy device-properties string etc etc ^_^

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Gringo when i am home from work i will provide you with the necessary information.
There is one thing that bother me.
No matter if i say shutdown or reboot the system hang on both of these :( I have to use the power button
Just for information.
Update:
I use chameleon from the link you posted above

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts

I use chameleon from the link you posted above

That's good but I don't think that iFa's installer would install Chameleon with a tonymac "funny apple" image.

I think something must have gone wrong when you ran the installer because you are not running the latest version of Chameleon.

Having to push the power button like that to shut down and restart will cause disk/file corruption sooner or later, if it hasn't already. Do this:

Boot up with -s (in the same way that you booted up with -f). Follow the instructions on the screen telling you how to run FSCK. If after doing that you see a message saying "file system was modified", run it again until that message no longer appears. Then type exit and press enter to finish booting.

This is happening because the older version of Chameleon that you for some reason are still using does not have the "restart fix". If it did, there would have been a message saying "restart fix successfully applied" as part of the Chameleon verbose output.

You can fix this temporarily by reinstalling the EvOreboot.kext that I told you to delete in post #15. Just google it, it's easy to find.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Ok

No I don´t have a file im my /Extra folder called preboot.dmg or initrd.dmg
Here is the output from diskutil list:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Fluffz 999.9 GB disk0s2

I have rebooted -s and run FSCK
And i stored the deleted EvOreboot.kext and put them in the Extensions folder in /Extra again
So reboot dosen´t hang anymore :(

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
Right.

Let's check if there's a duplicate installation of Chameleon on your EFI partition.

Run Terminal.app and type:

sudo -s (type your password and press enter)
mkdir /Volumes/EFI (press enter)
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI (press enter)

If you get an error message at this point, let me know what it says.

If not, open a Finder window, and you should see a new "disk" named EFI.
Open it and tell me what's on it.

Don't reboot or shut down, wait for my reply.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Gringo

After i type this in Terminal

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
I get this message
mount_hfs: Invalid argument

I did the commands before like you told me

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
Good. Unless the EFI partition is formatted with another filesystem than hfs (possible but unlikely), then there's nothing there.

Type rm -rf /Volumes/EFI in terminal to delete the mountpoint.

The only explanation for this that I can come up with is that you did something wrong when installing Chameleon (no idea what) and that you're still running some customized, older version that has an embedded theme with the red apple image in it.

I have to go to work now, later we'll install the latest version of Chameleon 2.0 RC5 to your system partition, this time manually.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Gringo

i did rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
and wait till we install new chameleon
see ya

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
Back from work, here we go.

For anyone else reading along, this is how you install Chameleon to a GUID partitioned drive, but NOT to the EFI partition. Note that hades' system has a single hard drive (rdisk0) and that OS X is installed on the second partition (rdisk0s2), the first being the EFI partition (that would be rdisk0s1).
Also note that we're installing to the same drive as we're working from.
Always run diskutil list before installing or upgrading Chameleon and double check your drive/partition layout, don't blindly type disk and partition numbers into Terminal just because some random guide tells you to!

This is the latest version of Chameleon 2.0 RC5, fresh from the compiler (the default theme is attached to post #21 above):
Attached File  Chameleon_2.0_RC5_Trunk_rev_699.zip   654.66KB   42 downloads
Extract the archive to your desktop.

In Terminal, type...

cd ~/desktop/i386

...to go to the folder you've just extracted.

Now assume root privileges:

sudo -s (and your password)

Install boot0 to the Master Boot Record (MBR):

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Install boot1h to the boot sector of your system partition:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

Then copy the file boot to the root of your system drive:

cp boot /

And type

Exit

That's it, piece of cake, now you can reboot.

Chameleon should be using the new theme now.

Take a photo of the Chameleon verbose messages again. If you get two screens, each asking for a keypress to continue, please photograph them both, then attach them here like you did before.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Gringo

I did everything you asked me...!
yehaa
Here the pictures. I hope they look good to you?
Attached File  DSCN0105.JPG   2.41MB   12 downloads
Attached File  DSCN0106.JPG   2.62MB   12 downloads

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
That's it, well done, now we're getting somewhere! :happymac:

As you can see, there is a "Restart Fix Applied!" message from Chameleon now. So, next up, try moving Ev0reboot.kext out of /Extra/Extensions and see if you can shut down and restart correctly without it.
The Chameleon restart fix doesn't seem to work for everybody. It works for me.
If it doesn't work (ie you have to press the reset button to shut down/restart again) remember to boot up with -s and run fsck like I showed you in post #28.
Then put Ev0reboot.kext back in /Extra/Extensions. We'll get to that later, with a little luck there is a much nicer way to fix this.
But it should work now, let me know.

Any change with Video and Korg Legacy? I guess not since you didn't mention it. Let me know.

I can't tell how you had your video card working before, you had Natit, NVEnabler and a Device Properties-String all active at the same time, it surprises me it was working at all. I think I was on the right track with the PciRoot setting, your EFI studio "PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)" has the PciRoot at 1 - but as you can see in the Chameleon verbose output, Chameleon sets it to 0 - which is the Chameleon default. We'll deal with this later.

Did you take a look under "Memory" in System Profiler? Pretty cool. Chameleon at work!

Let's move on, there are a couple more things to do still. I need two things from you:

Download LSPCI for OS X from here:
http://uploaded.to/file/b7gy5i
(I think you need to reboot after installing it)
Then open Terminal, type LSPCI -nn and press enter. Post the output here.

Copy+Paste the Perl script below into Terminal and press enter:
perl -e 'open(CMD, "ioreg -lw0 \| grep DSDT|") or die; while(<CMD>) { chomp; if($_ =~ /\"DSDT\.?\d?\"=<([^>]*)>/) { $buff = $1; open(PIP, "|xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/dsdt.aml") or die; print PIP "$1"; } }'
DSDT.aml will appear on your desktop. Zip it and attach it here.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Gringo

Good to see that we make some improvements :blink:

Ok

Reboot works like a charm without Ev0reboot.kext in /Extra/Extensions folder
edit: but shutdown hangs so i did the FSCK command and put Ev0reboot back in Extras/Extensions for now
No changes to graphic card (still crappy 32 Mb) and Korg Legacy (still that 0-0000 lock code )
Memory looks very good and i like the new chameleon GUI !
Here is the output of LSPCI -nn:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82P965/G965 Memory Controller Hub [8086:29a0] (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82P965/G965 PCI Express Root Port [8086:29a1] (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2834] (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2835] (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:283a] (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:283f] (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 [8086:2847] (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 [8086:2849] (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2830] (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2831] (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2832] (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:2836] (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) LPC Interface Controller [8086:2810] (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801HR/HO/HH (ICH8R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2821] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:283e] (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] [10de:05e6] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:4362] (rev 22)
04:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: JMicron Technology Corp. 20360/20363 Serial ATA Controller [197b:2363] (rev 02)
04:00.1 IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technology Corp. 20360/20363 Serial ATA Controller [197b:2363] (rev 02)
05:00.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 [1131:7146] (rev 01)
05:01.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Creative Labs SB X-Fi [1102:0005]
05:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [104c:8024]

and here is the DSDT.aml.zip
Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   6.01KB   4 downloads

I hope i provide you with all information ?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
Yes, that is perfect.

As you can see, LSPCI shows device and vendor IDs for all your hardware. The numbers at the beginning of every device (e.g. 00:1f.0) is the location of the device, its 'address'. I can use these numbers to locate each device in your DSDT.

It's good that restart works. I will attempt to fix your shutdown by editing your DSDT so you can delete Ev0reboot.kext.
When I'm done you'll be able to get rid of ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext as well.

Most importantly I think I might be able to do something about your LAN and graphics.

Two more things:

Are you using USB or PS2 mouse and keyboard?

More house cleaning:

zip and attach your disabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions.
Disabler.kext is a community made kernel extension that can be configured to disable loading of kernel extensions that are incompatible or cause issues when running OS X on a PC.
I want to have a look inside it and see what it disables, I don't think you need this kext at all.

I have to go out now, I'll look at your DSDT later this afternoon. In the meantime, use this com.apple.Boot.plist:
Attached File  com.apple.Boot.plist.zip   795bytes   12 downloads
I removed the wait and -v flags and put your timeout back so you dont have to press any keys when booting up.
I also set the PciRoot to 1, so let me know if there are any changes to video and ethernet - check if it's set as built-in now and, as before, remember to delete the networkinterfaces plist file (refer to post #7) before you reboot.

Hades

Hades

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi

YOU ARE A MAGICIAN !!
gfx card fully detected ! And screenshot working again !
Chipsatz-Modell:	GeForce GTX 275
  Typ:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Steckplatz:	Slot-1
  PCIe-Lane-Breite:	x16
  VRAM (gesamt):	896 MB
  Hersteller:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Geräte-ID:	0x05e6
  Versions-ID:	0x00a1
  ROM-Version:	0x00
  Monitore:
SyncMaster:
  Auflösung:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
  Pixeltiefe:	32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)
  Hauptmonitor:	Ja
  Synchronisierung:	Aus
  Eingeschaltet:	Ja
  Rotation:	Unterstützt
Monitoranschluss:
Korg Legacy all registered !
WOW
THX
I am using PS2 Keyboard and USB Mouse
Here is the disabler.kext.zip you wanted to see
Attached File  Disabler.kext.zip   11.03KB   4 downloads
I am happy right now

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
Great!

It turns out it was the PciRoot=1 setting that was needed all along. You must have missed it when I asked you to try it earlier (waaaaayy back in post #9).
Again, and I can't stress this enough: I cannot help you if you don't do what I ask.

It's highly recommended to use only USB mouse and keyboard on a Hackintosh. If you must use PS2 devices, it's better to use both PS2 keyboard and mouse, never mix USB and PS2 input devices. Macs don't have PS2 ports. Of course you have the community built Voodoo PS2 drivers installed but you're still lucky that this combination works for you!

Unzip and drop the attached DSDT.aml in /Extra and delete Disabler.kext (which was never disabling anything anyway, the extensions it's supposed to disable are clearly loaded on your system) ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext and Ev0reboot.kext from /Extra/Extensions.

Reboot, but make the following changes in your BIOS before you boot into OS X again:

Limit max CPUID - disabled
CPU thermal monitor - enabled
ACPI suspend type - S3
No Execute Memory Protect - enabled

Some of these are probably set correctly already.

Let me know if you can shut down and reboot properly, or if anything funny happens after adding the DSDT.

I did not do anything to the Firewire device, have you ever used your Firewire ports, are they working?

I would like to see if patching your DSDT was worth the trouble. Do me a favor and run Console.app, find kernel.log in the left pane, save it somewhere, zip it and attach it here. This will allow me to check my work. Well some parts of it at least.

In System Profiler, check all your USB ports, they should be seen by OS X as built-in or internal.
If I've patched USB correctly in your DSDT, it should not say "expansion card" anywhere! Please let me know.

[DSDT removed - updated version on next page]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy