Leopard development disk leaked

Swad

114 posts in this topic

You can just use a hard drive partition to "restore" the Leopard disk image to, using Disk Utility, then boot off it. That is what I did and yes it works.

Have tried this way, but no luck, can t boot from my external FW-Drive.

But i have bought a new DVD-Drive today, so hopefully, i can try again in the next days...

:thumbsdown_anim:

:gathering:

So, when using my ipod instead of a dual layer dvd, where do I put the .dmg? Can it just be put anywhere?

edit*- Or am I just supposed to put the .app in my iPod that says "Install Mac OS X.app" . I'm really confused by this, and don't know what to do, any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

edit #2*- Now I'm really confused, do I put all of the install files on my desktop in a file named OSX or do I put them on the iPod in a folder called Desktop? I seem to be getting more the confused the more i work on it, errr!

edit #3*- going to bed, hopefully this will all make sense in the morning, it's 4 in the morning here, thanks!

So, when using my ipod instead of a dual layer dvd, where do I put the .dmg? Can it just be put anywhere?

edit*- Or am I just supposed to put the .app in my iPod that says "Install Mac OS X.app" . I'm really confused by this, and don't know what to do, any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

edit #2*- Now I'm really confused, do I put all of the install files on my desktop in a file named OSX or do I put them on the iPod in a folder called Desktop? I seem to be getting more the confused the more i work on it, errr!

edit #3*- going to bed, hopefully this will all make sense in the morning, it's 4 in the morning here, thanks!

Probably you'll have to use DiskUtility and Restore the .dmg file over the iPod.

Then again, I'm not sure, since that's not how I did (I created a new partion on my HD via BootCamp, restarted with my Tiger disc, reformatted the new partion to JHFS+, restarted back to normal Tiger, used OSInstall.mpgk from the .dmg to install Leopard, restarted and held down Option and choosed my new partion and finished installing)

Probably you'll have to use DiskUtility and Restore the .dmg file over the iPod.

Then again, I'm not sure, since that's not how I did (I created a new partion on my HD via BootCamp, restarted with my Tiger disc, reformatted the new partion to JHFS+, restarted back to normal Tiger, used OSInstall.mpgk from the .dmg to install Leopard, restarted and held down Option and choosed my new partion and finished installing)

1. Make a backup copy of your iPod if necessary (it will be erased in the next step!)

2. Using Disk Utility, format (Erase) the iPod.

3. Use the Restore feature in Disk Utility to create an image of the Tiger DVD on your iPod (drag the DVD into the source textbox; drag your iPod into the destination textbox).

4. You can then plug your iPod in any Mac and launch the Install Tiger software, let it reboot, and follow the instructions to install it!

This is for tiger but sould work for leopard the same way

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...9&lsrc=osxh

From a slashdot poster:

Since people legitimately using 10.5 Developer Preview are all under NDA (since we got it at WWC and they were very meticulous about making sure you knew the conditions under which you were receiving the disks), we really can't be very specific. Since it is out in the press, I can say that the Preview is very focused on Developers, and most of what we need to get working on products so that they are ready for 10.5 when it ships (in "Spring"... whatever that means).

This is not a OS version that most people should be using. It is not ready for release, and there are very obviously places where Apple will be making large changes to the user experience. And from talking to the Engineers at the conference it quickly became obvious (from where they had to stop talking) that what developers have been given is quite a bit behind what Apple has in-house, and was specifically chosen to allow us to do our jobs without giving away everything.

... It is not ready for release, and there are very obviously places where Apple will be making large changes to the user experience...

Quite right - which goes to show that patience is a virtue. Enjoy, experiment, post your experiences but don't expect perfection at this stage - and try not to post anything which will get Apple too upset with us.

From a slashdot poster:

This is not a OS version that most people should be using. It is not ready for release, and there are very obviously places where Apple will be making large changes to the user experience.

This Leopard Developer Preview sort of reminds me of how it was when Apple released OS X DP1 at WWDC 1999. It was really "incomplete" since Apple kept plenty of things under wraps. The "Finder" demoed then had the Mac OS 8 Platinum interface and also worked half way between the classic OS 8/9 Finder and the Workspace Manager. There was plenty of concern back then since the UI was a main part of the whole Mac experience. The Platinum theme in Mac OS X Server 1.0 (which was actually just a rebadged Rhapsody DR3) was only skin deep and worked more like OpenSTEP; the Workspace Manager itself just didn't feel Mac-like. DP2's GUI was equally unremarkable and unfinished. The two major visual items Apple kept secret at the time were Aqua and the Dock; these were not unveiled and demoed until Macworld San Francisco in January 2000 and shipped a month later to developers as OS X DP3.

Since the UI elements in the Leopard DP aren't different than what is currently available in Tiger, this is probably where we can expect quite a bit of surprises (hopefully to be demoed at MWSF 2007). Best guess is the Finder will heavily leverage Core Animation (in a sense, some of the possibilties with windowing were demoed as part of Time Machine and the interactive album cover screensaver) and take interactivity in the Finder to a whole new level.

• 2 months later...

We can't expect it to run on beigebox PCs just yet. I don't think anyone would put in the effort to crack a buggy developer version as then it would have to be cracked again when it's released next year (or at the end of this year).

However, it would be nice to crack it anyway if you really want to use it.

• 7 months later...
...Here? Wouldn't you want to go Here? :thumbsup_anim:

Haha - that's really strange. I'm sure I remember hyperlinking that word. But yeah, that's the link I meant to use. I've edited it now to contain the link.

Thanks coolmatt49 :)

- Sabr.