KP caused by FakeSMC Or ApplePS2controller Or AppleACPIPS2Nub

00diabolic

53 posts in this topic

Trust I know nothing. I'm just trying to learn about code and programming but haven't got much past learning a few terms!!

so we are two mechanics working the nite shift :D

just to remind - the kp we are talking about appears only in combination HW sensors with latest fakesmc versions

right now I´m running Temperature Monitor and fakesmc 2.5 = no more panics

so we are two mechanics working the nite shift :)

just to remind - the kp we are talking about appears only in combination HW sensors with latest fakesmc versions

indeed I have rev314 and rev477 and istats menu 3.12.

:)

interesting is that nobobody reacted on my post in an other topic about my acer, that I could boot without a dsdt and without disabler. I realized it during my tests to find the reason for this KP. it´s performing really bad, resetting the cmos - but it´s booting :)

so we are two mechanics working the nite shift ;)

What temperature monitor is that Peach? Id like to give it a try.

You are right about this being related to hardware. I have similar specs to you so others prob have the same issue with this hardware ICHM8. See my sig for details.

Hope we can get a fix..

interesting is that nobobody reacted on my post in an other topic about my acer, that I could boot without a dsdt and without disabler. I realized it during my tests to find the reason for this KP. it´s performing really bad, resetting the cmos - but it´s booting :(

are you using chameleon with P and C states generated?

@FKA - yes generated P- and C-States and created a legacy kext to fake a macbook 3,2 with the settings of a 3,1 to get speedstep working. I guess the kext is the major suspect

@00diabolic - I believe could be related to the x3100 - but the message"unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" seems to be related to the cpu - correct ?

I´m using bresink´s temperature monitor again

@FKA - yes generated P- and C-States and created a legacy kext to fake a macbook 3,2 with the settings of a 3,1 to get speedstep working. I guess the kext is the major suspect

why you think its odd it boots without dsdt?

but the message"unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" seems to be related to the cpu - correct ?

I think it relates to a piece of unused but 'on hold' looping bit of code, I think! haven't been able to work out locked/ unlocked but again, think it means when the code is taken in and out of it's loop state i.e. used??

it seems logical that an optimized system should load natively the needed powermanagment kexts, but I never experienced it before and didn´t read anything about it

ok...that would mean that this piece of code obviously is not related to the cpu code or the graphics - did I get you right?

it seems logical that an optimized system should load natively the needed powermanagment kexts, but I never experienced it before and didn´t read anything about it

as far as I understood it having the dsdt was just letting CPUPM kexts load as it fed some Scope (_PR) information. and that's all EnableC&PStates=Yes is doing by writing the Scope (_PR) info to two SSDT files.

ok...that would mean that this piece of code obviously is not related to the cpu code or the graphics - did I get you right?

honestly don't know mate, could be related to anything.

'cpu code'?

enabling HPET in dsdt should load AppleHPET.kext which is needed to load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext properly - otherwise panic if not disabled by disabler.kext

IMHO enabling p-states , c-states and enabling speedstep is doing this job somehow.........but simple:

I will boot it without dsdt and disabler again and extract the dsdt tables to see what´s going on

long time ago that I heard "mate" - should visit my friends in London and Manchester again ;)

@00diabolic - I believe could be related to the x3100 - but the message"unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" seems to be related to the cpu - correct ?

I´m using bresink´s temperature monitor again

I think it relates to a piece of unused but 'on hold' looping bit of code, I think! haven't been able to work out locked/ unlocked but again, think it means when the code is taken in and out of it's loop state i.e. used??

I think its a CPU lock up also but related to chipset. It seems to be polling related. Like when the system polls information from the system sensors it causes the crash if the system is hot. I think this chipset is a little picky about how sensor data is accessed. FakeSMC must pull the info in a way that our systems do not like.

You should have this crash with Bresink. That is what I had in 10.6.2 and I got the crash then same as I do now. If for some reason you dont have it with Bresink then I will go right back to using it. Perhaps with one of the newer versions they fixed something in the way it polls the temp. Are you using the dashboard Bresink also or just the desktop version?

Bad news.. I just got the mutex KP with no sensor monitor app running at all. I was simply scrolling down and BAM there it was after leaving my laptop in OSX over night...

Possible causes/Ideas..

1. Related to CPU for sure since CPU is running Hot when KP happens.. (usually system is on over night for me to get it)

2. Related to ApplePS2controller.kext or AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext see point 3

3. Always appears when scrolling down on web pages with keyboard down arrow keys.. NO OTHER KNOWN TRIGGER

4. The KP could be from FakeSMC but I doubt it as its just installed now and not being used. I was not using it so it should not be able to cause a KP like this.. Need to confirm this however.

I would like to hear from others if they get this KP without a sensor monitor app. I have now done this so please confirm by leaving ur system in OSX overnight and scrolling down on a webpage for 1-2hrs without a sensor monitor app. This should result in the KP.

Peach I would like to see what results you get with this..

Also I found this thread.. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197696

These guys had the same KP but never got an answer although one of them says he fixed it with a new HD.. I find that hard to believe as I have recently switched to a New HD and still have this issue. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I simply cloned my install from the other HD to this one though.. However I could use migration assistant and get the same results I'm sure..

In the guys kextstat he posts.. he is running the old fakeSMC from netkas.. ver 2.5..

57 0 0x2f758000 0x4000 0x3000 org.netkas.fakesmc (2) <14 7 4 3>

That could still be the cause but I am doubting this more and more

I don´t believe it´s related absolutely only to fakesmc and hardware sensors - I believe it´s one of the possible reasons. this seems to be an issue since snow leo in different combinations of hardware and extensions.

it ´s an Snow Leo problem - so far the only thing we can do is to reduce non working extensions and hardware

in summary the KP started for me since updating to 10.6.6, switching to fakesmc 3.0, a new Atheros W-lan card and to iStat.

since I switched back to hardware monitor and fakesmc 2.5 i had this panic only once after two weeks (before 3-4 times a day) - next step was now removing any HW sensors. so far no more kp´s till now -if it happens again, next step will be removing the Atheros card and so on.........

Well I struggled months with a kp similar to yours and it turned out it was my 120GB Western Digital with a free fall sensor, the solution is to get a newer Western Digital(I have a 500GB WD in my netbook) without the sensor or another brand of hard drive.

kp01.jpg

Does this look like your kp?

• 4 weeks later...

I found out I was running a temp monitor app in my dashboard (istat Pro). I removed it and so far no KP. I will report back if I see it as it is an elusive KP.. It might prove once again that it is the temp monitors that are the culprit. Sucks that you cant even run them in your dashboard. Might also prove that it is dashboard only temp monitors that cause this issue (since Ive had these in here all along).. hmmmm be nice if it was..

I also have written meklort as he had mentioned here that he was going to rewrite the ApplePS2controller and AppleACPIPS2Nub kext to address this vary KP.. Not sure if he ever got around to it but ill update here if I hear from him. I also informed him of this discussion. I am using voodoops2 for my trackpad which I believe replaces AppleACPIps2Nub so unless voodoo has the same bad code that could rule that kext out.. will report back on that 2.

reading your post I guess it is time to post my result also.

after deleting all sensors the panics decreased dramatically, but unfortunately they didn´t disappear.

I have still one or two panics in two weeks with daily use.

next thing I will do is take out the Atheros mini pcie and test.

• 2 months later...

I cant live without mPCI.. If thats the cause I give up.

I really hope that it is something else but I 2 turned off all my sensors and still got the crash... I wish others got this that would really help get us a solution. Since its so rare thats why we have no help with it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Ha, finally found this thread so I can share my kernel panic. Scrolling with the cursor keys in Safari gives me the same 'unlocked mutex' kernel panic as seen here.

I have a MSI U123 netbook with the Intel Atom N280 CPU, the kernel is patched on the fly with latest Meklort's bootloader (Chameleon RC5 - rev. 972). The .kext's in my /Extra/Extensions folder are: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (updated one from Slice: link), ApplePS2Controller.kext (also from Slice: link), FakeSMC.kext (2.7.2 - rev. 495), AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext (updated one from prasys).

I immediately trashed out the iStats widget from the Dashboard, will see in next days if it helps.. After that I could try using an USB keyboard for a while (and removing PS2 kexts).

EDIT: Have been scrolling whole day without a single kernel panic after removing iStats widget :unsure:.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

after a long time I must confirm that reason number one was the atheros wlan card. I replaced it with a BCM4311 and the kp´s are gone. also I replaced the intel 4565 in my daughter´s toshiba with the atheros, and boom......kp unlocked mutex.

It seems that we have to live with that - we can reduce the kp´s not using smc monitoring

• 1 month later...

In my case, it seems the "keyboard drivers" problem was always related to Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA), from some time ago on my old CPU T5470 (IDA=1800 mhz) had the mentioned Kernel Panic. Even, after the CPU upgrade, I tested with factory p-states (PSS) of the new T8100, including IDA (2300 Mhz), and same {censored} thing, as expected. But since I have custom p-states in my DSDT (Name (_PSS, Package...), commented out the IDA one, these KP is absolutely gone.