KP caused by FakeSMC Or ApplePS2controller Or AppleACPIPS2Nub

00diabolic

53 posts in this topic

I am experiencing a really nasty KP on my system that I am sure relates to the PS2 keyboard kext & FakeSMC as it only happens when using the down arrow to scroll in any app when running a sensor monitor which access FakeSMC. This has been a consistent KP through updates from 10.6.2 to 10.6.6

Here are other discussions for this same KP from regular apple users.. The only thing that is consistent is the use of keyboards that are not apple originals. That is the same as me with a PS2 driver plus fakeSMC for my laptop in 10.6.6

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...22&tstart=0

http://www.orderedbytes.com/forum/viewtopi...e99e3204f46be94

I will be adding a screenshot of my exact KP if someone would like to see it.. but it always includes the line "Possible cause: unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" in the kernel.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
I am experiencing a really nasty KP on my system that I am sure relates to the PS2 keyboard kext as it only happens when using the down arrow to scroll in safari. This has been a consistent KP through updates from 10.6.2 to 10.6.6

Here are other discussions for this same KP from regular apple users.. The only thing that is consistent is the use of keyboards that are not apple originals. That is the same as me with a PS2 driver for my laptop keyboard in 10.6.6

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...22&tstart=0

http://www.orderedbytes.com/forum/viewtopi...e99e3204f46be94

I will be adding a screenshot of my exact KP.. but it always includes the line "Possible cause: unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" in the kernel.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

I have the same KP, but it's not limited to the down arrow in Safari; it's just the down arrow in anything. Curious what this "istat menues" fix is; hoping to hear more about that.

I´m pretty sure you´re right - in my case it was in mozilla, safari and finder and I had the same "unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" in panic report. going through different posts related to this issue - even on real macs - I figured out that there is no unique solution and it must be some weak spot in snow leopard which coincidently causes the panics in combination with poor programmed extensions.

hence you should look for the latest changes you applied before the panics appeared - most likely related to microsoft ps2 extensions. my problem was iStat menus 2.0 - you will find tons of posts about this tool for measuring temps and other sensors here on insanely - so there is nothing like an "iStat menus" fix ;)

Interesting. So you simply removed istat menus and that stopped the panic. Pretty much if I use the down arrow its in safari but I bet that the same panic would happen if using the down arrow anywhere.

I only have had istat menus for a little while but I swear I had this panic before that. Now I am going to uninstall and go mad on the up and down arrows to see if I can get it to crash. Thanks Peach..

What do you guys use instead of istate menus?

I switched to at monitor and I like it more then istat menus so far. Hope that crash goes but I'm not holding my breath. Will report back here if I get it again. Glad to see someone else has the crash on a hack like me. I was starting to think I was the only one.

10.6.2 through 10.6.6 suffer this KP so it does not matter that you have 10.6.2 as I had this crash with 10.6.2 also.

Any other ideas of a culprit for this if its not istat?

Interesting. So you simply removed istat menus and that stopped the panic. Pretty much if I use the down arrow its in safari but I bet that the same panic would happen if using the down arrow anywhere.

I only have had istat menus for a little while but I swear I had this panic before that. Now I am going to uninstall and go mad on the up and down arrows to see if I can get it to crash. Thanks Peach..

What do you guys use instead of istate menus?

it´s not that I simply removed istat - i wrote down all the changes I did and went back - one step after the other and tested for a while(five in common) - removing istat stopped the panic.

and that´exactly what you should do: think about the changes you did

I´m using Bresink´s Temperature Monitor again - although someone reported having the same issues after installing the x86 sensors for that app. no problems here with this app (maybe because I´m using the newest version). but reading this you could have an other idea - all those apps have one thing in common: they use sensors - maybe that could be a hint to an other solution

Peach interesting that you mentioned Bresink temp monitor thats what i switched from to istat & I had this same panic with it also.

Now today I got the panic after leaving my computer on for about a day & a half before i saw it. I'm using atmonitor now same panic again.. shoot what is causing this i've looked at everything

I might have to try that too; removing Menumeters, see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

I tried what peach says and hes right.. This is related to sensor monitor apps and thus FakeSMC in some way. As long as I dont run a sensor monitor app thus dont use FakeSMC I dont see this KP. I left my machine on for 3 days scrolling down a lot with safari like I always do and no KP. I have restarted at least 4 times since then and been scrolling as I always do over the last few days and still no kp as long as the sensor app was not running..

So I think at least for me I have this nailed down. Its a shame as I would like to use some sensor monitor app. Perhaps the guys from FakeSMC can look into this. It has been a long standing bug because I have recently switched from fakeSMC 2.5 which I used since 10.6.2 (when I upgraded from Leo) to the newer 2.6 by slice with plugins and the same crash has pledged me all along...

Hope some one can propose a new idea to address this... perhaps there are changes to the DSDT we can make for polling of APCI devices that FakeSMC is using.. I know FakeSMC does poll from a real sensor and that is likely causing the problem when the sensor app makes the request.

it´s the same with rev 477

Does Slice know about this KP? This is one that has been around since before he picked up coding fakeSMC with 2.5. I had the crash with bresink´s temp monitor and fakeSMC 2.5 and thats why I switched to istat which changed nothing (same with atmonitor)

This is only in SL not Leopard as far as I can remember. So its something to do with SL and using sensor monitor apps on our hacks. Hope someone can track this down.

I wasn´t aware about the source of the problem for a while and posted it a few days ago - but no reaction till now.

because only a few users have this problem I believe it´s also in combination with certain hardware.

my machine has ich8M, X3100 and bradcom LAN - let´s compare

I've not mentioned it yet, but I've been getting random cpu related KP at boot since I've started using hardware monitoring and istats menu. Too infrequent to be really bothered about but there non the less and on 3 different builds!

D

is it the same with unlocked mutex? it´s very easy to reproduce

surf on internet and use the scroll arrows up and down - if you have a kp after a while you are in the same boat :)

so scrolling in a web browser is an example of an unlocked mutex algorithm?

you learn something every day :D

No, I've just spent a few mins keying up and down web pages in firefox and no kp.

D

hahahaaa - you got it :D

let us know what was causing the panic when it happens again

there is no related kext to the panic just relating to one or other cpu core. and only at boot in maybe 1 in 10 boots.

Thought it might be related to my OCing but also happens with stock values.

I've done this before but I'll run without hardware monitoring for a while and confirm, again, that it only happens with HWM.

I presume what you mention with mutex is due to C+ code in HW monitoring kexts?

D

I´m not really familliar with coding - I´m more the mechanic :D

"unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" is the panic message you get with debug

from what i'm reading mutex algorithms are used in concurrent programming, like C++.

I'm sure I've read over at projectosx about C and C++ code in relation to the Nvidia plugin

Trust I know nothing. I'm just trying to learn about code and programming but haven't got much past learning a few terms!!

EDIT - i doubt "unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock" is there but will take a snap of the next KP i experience

D