Universal G5 Motherboard Bezel

enjoyfebruary

14 posts in this topic

I'm talking to a local CNC shop to have a bracket made for the back of the G5. This bracket will make it easy to use all the ports on the back of the motherboard while keeping the esthetic of the original Powermac. You will be able to use the supplied PC bezel that comes with your motherboard. I have questions for everyone though.

1. Would you use something like this?

2. If so, would you like to keep the two 92mm fans with their bracket?

3. Or, would you like a bigger bracket that changes the back to a Mac Pro style, one 120mm fan.

4. Aluminum or Grey plastic (the same as the G5 fan brackets)

This bracket would be made for the people like me who don't want to cut the entire back out for a full sized ATX; but want a clean simple mess-up proof way of getting access to the back ports of their motherboards. As for pricing, I wouldn't sell this thing for absolutely more than $35 bucks. Please let me know if you have any ideas or you would be interested in one. Thanks everyone. Take care, Dan.

Laughable photoshop mockups below

post-253180-1294810213_thumb.jpg post-253180-1294810237_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'd definitely consider something like this. I quite like the idea of getting a G5 or Mac Pro case to fit my system into, but the back panel issue is one of the main things that puts me off - electronics is no problem, but fabrication is not my area of expertise!

Two questions:

1. Will it work with a Mac Pro case as well, or are there enough difference between the two that you'd need a different design?

2. Will it work with both full ATX and Micro ATX motherboards?

I'm in the UK, but I'd imagine something as light as this should be relatively cheap to ship by USPS.

To address both PoloBear and thebeast. In addressing your concerns a thought popped into my head. Since the part would have to be made from multiple layers why not include both styles. The reasons for this:

1. The larger 120mm version would be the easiest to do seeing as you are cutting out the entire section and replacing it. Also keep in mind I would have it cut to look identical to the MacPro/Powermac mesh aluminum/fan grille.

2. If the customer would want the option to use the two 92mm fans or on a Mac Pro I would include the smaller versions top piece so that the motherboard could be positioned wherever you want.

Summation: Version 1 - Smaller equals Mac Pro / Full ATX compatibility. Would require cutting back fan bracket somewhat.

Version 2 - Easier installation, less noise/ more air flow. Only G5 mATX compatible.

I'm talking to a local CNC shop to have a bracket made for the back of the G5. This bracket will make it easy to use all the ports on the back of the motherboard while keeping the esthetic of the original Powermac. You will be able to use the supplied PC bezel that comes with your motherboard. I have questions for everyone though.

1. Would you use something like this?

2. If so, would you like to keep the two 92mm fans with their bracket?

3. Or, would you like a bigger bracket that changes the back to a Mac Pro style, one 120mm fan.

4. Aluminum or Grey plastic (the same as the G5 fan brackets)

This bracket would be made for the people like me who don't want to cut the entire back out for a full sized ATX; but want a clean simple mess-up proof way of getting access to the back ports of their motherboards. As for pricing, I wouldn't sell this thing for absolutely more than $35 bucks. Please let me know if you have any ideas or you would be interested in one. Thanks everyone. Take care, Dan.

Laughable photoshop mockups below

post-253180-1294810213_thumb.jpg post-253180-1294810237_thumb.jpg

Your two dimensional photoshop mockups are great.

However the problem is three dimensional and positioning depends upon the mother board mounting scheme (tray, standoffs, other).

When retaining the dual fan bracket, it has to be modded and relocated to the left (when facing the rear of the system) which increases the affected area in you first photoshop mockup.

And what is your proposed mounting method?

neil

Your two dimensional photoshop mockups are great.

However the problem is three dimensional and positioning depends upon the mother board mounting scheme (tray, standoffs, other).

When retaining the dual fan bracket, it has to be modded and relocated to the left (when facing the rear of the system) which increases the affected area in you first photoshop mockup.

And what is your proposed mounting method?

neil

I'm going to base the depth of the bezel off of the idea that all PC MBs are ATX (layout, not MB size). The G5 had the little bump out on the motherboard. So when you position a PC motherboard into the G5 case the best way I've always seen is to put a PCI card in the motherboard and then line it up with the slots on the case. Additionally, if the bezel is the right size it can be positioned wherever the motherboard ends up. I'm starting to think a mix of the two designs would be the best. I think it's going to be too much work to keep the existing 92mm fan mounting system. The entire thing only needs to be big enough to cover the remaining G5 I/O holes and include the 120mm fan. I plan on using 3M High Bond double sided tape to attach it to the back of the case. That stuff will rip your skin off. lol.

Design Change -

What about this:

post-253180-1294947772_thumb.jpg

Ok so the design would cover the remaining ports if not cut out. It would come with cutouts for two 92mm holes and the G5 fan grille would then mount to the new bracket instead of the back of the case. Then depending on if you want to use the clear air director you would cut the flap off of the G5 fan mount since the entire unit would be shifted over to the left. I feel like this is going to be a good combo since you can use the original fan grille which is less machining. It also is small enough to be moved around to accommodate various motherboard mounting methods. What do you guys think?

Design Change -

What about this:

post-253180-1294947772_thumb.jpg

Ok so the design would cover the remaining ports if not cut out. It would come with cutouts for two 92mm holes and the G5 fan grille would then mount to the new bracket instead of the back of the case. Then depending on if you want to use the clear air director you would cut the flap off of the G5 fan mount since the entire unit would be shifted over to the left. I feel like this is going to be a good combo since you can use the original fan grille which is less machining. It also is small enough to be moved around to accommodate various motherboard mounting methods. What do you guys think?

It appears that you need to move the 92mm fan bracket more to the left. The fan bezel is wider and has slots to accept the gray plastic bracket that the fans mount to. I have included photos of my micro-ATX motherboard installed up against the upper shelf and the relative location of the fan bracket assembly and a photo of the rear of my hack. I hope this helps.

neil

post-194289-1295016272_thumb.jpg

post-194289-1295016284_thumb.jpg

It appears that you need to move the 92mm fan bracket more to the left. The fan bezel is wider and has slots to accept the gray plastic bracket that the fans mount to. I have included photos of my micro-ATX motherboard installed up against the upper shelf and the relative location of the fan bracket assembly and a photo of the rear of my hack. I hope this helps.

neil

Thats almost exactly what im talking about. Mine would just keep the G5 PCI slots. Thanks Neil.

Using the existing G5 Power Mac rear panel pci slots may be problematic. I mean that would dictate the x,y,z location of the Micro-ATX or mini-ITX motherboard. "z" direction in my mind is the mounting height off the back wall of the case.

Will the existing Apple board standoffs (relocated) work?

For my new project I found a G5 case. Thanks to ebay and the more and more dying G5-Mainboards. The soldering seems to be a real problem.

I plan to use the original standoffs, as I did in my first conversion. Just used a graphics-card in PCI slot - standoffs to the mainboard - glue on the standoffs - graphics card fixed to the case backpanel slot. The mainboard is fixed really well if you use a dual slot card. And the final position of the mainboard is pretty much the same as the original one. I could easily put the rear fan assembly back in place.

I can see only the problem of the depth of the bezel...but you can use the depth of the pci slots...

go make the damn thing, I need a Sandybridge rendering machine...the new case will be here next week ;-)))))