Silicon Image release Universal SATA drivers

jester1o1

116 posts in this topic

I have the Sil3134 (IIRC) and I wanted to know if there was any way to add the kext to the boot DVD. I remember being able to change the OAH750d file in the bad old days at 10.4.0. It involved using hdutil and mounting as a read/write file system.

Thoughts?

Also, would it do me any good to install to my sata drive on VMware and then add the kext (does VM ware support a 'virtual' drive?) and then make the drive bootable??

Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to finalize my install on this thing.

joneSi

you cans install in another more compatible machine

and then plug there the drivers in the osx

lastly you can just plug the hd into the amd machine

and voila

it will work

OSX is not hardware dependant as is windows

OK, well, I am going to -TRY- to make a dvd using mkextunpack command and applying the new Extensions.mkext to the dvd image. If that does not work, I'll just plug it into my intel board and run a quick install there then move it over.

The only problem that I could see is that the 10.4.8 that I have contains the rufus decrypts needed for AMD. Will that still work on an intel setup?

joneSi

If anyone more then I is getting sick of these ugly external-drive-icons:

uglytb4.png

Here is a solution of how you can make your SiL-3132 disks look like normal disks :whistle:

Edit Info.plist, and REPLACE this:

<dict>
  <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
  <string>com.SiliconImage.driver.Si3132</string>
  <key>IOClass</key>
  <string>Si3132</string>
  <key>IOKitDebug</key>
  <integer>0</integer>
  <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
  <string>0x01800000</string>
  <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
  <string>0x31321095</string>
  <key>IOProbeScore</key>
  <integer>500</integer>
  <key>IOProviderClass</key>
  <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
  <key>Physical Interconnect</key>
  <string>SCSI Parallel Interface</string>
  <key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
  <string>External</string>
  <key>Read Time Out Duration</key>
  <integer>30000</integer>
  <key>Write Time Out Duration</key>
  <integer>30000</integer>
 </dict>

with THIS:

<dict>
  <key>IOClass</key>
  <string>Si3132</string>
  <key>IOKitDebug</key>
  <integer>0</integer>
  <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
  <key>IOProbeScore</key>
  <integer>500</integer>
  <key>Serial ATA</key>
  <true/>
 </dict>
</dict>

Maby you will lost the hot-plug feature, because osx doesn't recognize the disks as external anymore, but if you don't care about that, this will probably not do any serious damage to your hardware :)

Ok, so I did this mod and checked my xbench score and it was WAY lower using your plist changes. So I reinstalled as the regular external sata drive and then went looking through the plist file again. Something had caught my eye before, and I didn't do or say anything because I'm kinda new at this. So the line in the original driver file is

<dict>
  <key>IOClass</key>
  <string>Si3132</string>
  <key>IOKitDebug</key>
  <integer>0</integer>
  <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
  <key>IOProbeScore</key>
  <integer>500</integer>
  <string>External</string>
  <integer>30000</integer>
  <integer>30000</integer>
 </dict>

Right under "SCSI Parallel Interface" notice it says "Physical Interconnect Location"? So if you change from "External" to "Internal" (capital 'I') then voila it works. You can even edit it right as OSX is running. Just do a kextunload then edit with nano then kextload and it shows up as an internal drive. So there you go.

Also, it didn't eff up my xbench scores. So it works that way for me. YMMV. Thanks for at least getting me started on something kinda simple.

joneSi

• 2 weeks later...

Were do I find this "Info.plist"-file? :)

Ok, I found it, and tried that, but edit with Smultron, and it works!

I'm on a macbook pro, having my sata disk connected with a sata-expresscard with the same si3132-driver.

Now showing as internal.

Whatever good that will do, I were actually trying to get this disk to accept a os x install, or better, if possible, my bootcamp-xp.

Edited by kite

I'm running 1.1.9 now and have seen nothing new exept that they have fixed the bug that crashed OS X on insert of the card, after removing the card and turned off the card in the controllbar. That were the only repeatable bug that I found, not counting the no-boot/no-bootcamp issue.

Edited by kite

What about SMART status? Is it supported in this release?

SMART-status is reported as not supported by diskutility in 10.4.8 on my eSATA disks (WD32 00YS) via expresscard.

Ok Folks,

Can't seem to find the right Info.plist with the Silicon Image info....

Help!

Thanks

It's in /System/Library/Extensions/SiliconImage3132.kext -> Contents/info.plist

Edited by kite

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my DeLock eSATA ExpressCard running under OS X. Before, I tried using the SeriTek-2SM2-E drivers which didn't work, but it seems that the Silicon Image UB drivers just work perfect. Maybe those who have the same ExpressCard and didn't get it running and wanted to sell the card (I saw an offer on eBay with the same card - the owner sold it because he thought it was incompatible with Mac) should just download and install the Silicon Image drivers. I also wanted to sell the card, because I thought I wouldn't ever get it to run... :)

Otherwise there is a new and cheaper ExpressCard out from Higoto which costs about 70€. For those who want a Mac OS compatible card without any hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i have a ASUS p5nd2-sli deluxe mobo n it has a onboard 3132 Sil sata controller. I set it to BASE in my bios n followed everything above. But System Profiler still doesnt recongnize it.

When i type "ioreg -b -x -l | grep 3132" i get

| | | +-o pci1095,3132@0 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 8>

| | | "name" = "pci1095,3132"

| | | "IOName" = "pci1095,3132"

| | | "compatible" = <"pci1043,819f","pci1095,3132","pciclass,018000">

so i edited the "/System/Library/Extensions/SiliconImage3132.kext/Contents/Info.plist" to

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>SiliconImage3132</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>SiliconImage3132</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.1.9</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>SiDriver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>Si3132</string>

<key>IOKitDebug</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<string>0x018000</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>500</integer>

<string>Internal</string>

<integer>30000</integer>

<integer>30000</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.4</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIParallelFamily</key>

<string>1.3.6</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>6.9.9</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>6.9.9</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.mach</key>

<string>6.9.9</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Local-Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

any ideas? sugestions? help?

First of all your

<string>0x018000</string>

is wrong, it is missing two zeros and should be

Now, there are three different settings that might relevant for this value

0x01800000 - for "Other" (expresscard) and *some* Base drivers (at least the ones inbuilt in motherboards)

0x01040000 - for RAID mode adapters

and finally

0x01000000 - for "ordinary" SCSI adapters

So if correcting the number of zeros does not work, your best bet is the last of the ones above.

Good luck!

Ok, I just wanted you to confirm what you stated above about the controller being in BASE (SATA Link) mode. It is correct right? In that case I must say that I am at a loss? Do you know if your disk is available in Windows when connected to the same controller? (Just trying to rule out hardware incompatibilities)

Yeah in my BIOS i can set the controller as being in RAID mode or BASE mode. I have set it to BASE mode. And I don't think it hardware incompatibilities because i can boot into Windows XP Professional SP2 that is installed on the SATA harddrive.

Thanks for all your help!

If you by your last statement mean that you can boot into XP with the SATA drive connected to the Sil3132 controller when it is in BASE mode but you still can 't see the drive in OSX when it is connected in the same exact way, I not really sure I canhelp you that much right now. Sorry, I have to think about it.

Which Sil3132 driver version are you using in OSX? 1.1.6 or 1.1.9?

• 5 weeks later...

hi guys,

thanks very much for this thread.. it has been very informative.

i'm trying to install osx86 on a dell dimension 9200 / xps 410 PC that has an Intel P965 motherboard and an Intel IHC8 SATA controller. unfortunately, OSX does not like the combination of the two so i am stuck. i was looking around for a supported PCI- PATA Controller for OSX but have been unable to find one that works. that's when i decided to try SATA or eSATA and i came upon this thread.

right now i have found 2 very similar cards that i wanted to use -- both based on the SiI3132 SATA2 Controller Chip which we know is supported under OSX with Unibin drivers.

the first, found here, has as far as i can tell an internal SATA port and an external eSATA port.

the second, found here, also has one internal and one external port but if you look at the link it also has a jumper that allows you to chose between BASE and RAID.. thereby (i think) taking care of the need to flash the BIOS to make it BASE. it is a little more expensive but woth the expense if i dont have to flash to set it tBASE mode.

the issue i'm having is that when you look at the DRIVERS page for the SiI3132, it specifically says do not use the BIOS upgrade for Macintosh products. i'm alsays so confused about this -- when dealling w\ Hackintoshes, are you supposed to follow the directions intended for Windows PCs or the directions for Macintosh PCs. i can never tell.

let me explain what i would like to accomplish, which prhaps might help you give me better advice.

i currently have a 250 GB sata maxtor HD which is running Windows Vista which i dont want to partition (as 3 of the 4) partitions are already in use by Dell for recovery perposes)

and since i cant get my IHC8 controller to work, if igure i'd add the SiI3132 and a second 160 GB HD just for osx 86.

my conscern is that being a HD on a second SATA controller, would it be able to boot correctly?

i do not need to use this add on SATA controller for use with Windows -- and i wouldnt want to do that unless i absolutely had to.

am sort of a noob but i've been around osx86 off and on since deadmoo and am no stanger to modefying kexts to add device IDs and the like. however i've had a bit of bad luck flashing DVD firmwares in the past and consider flashing the BIOS of this card to be a similar procedure so i'd rather avoid it if i can.

if anyone knows of SiI3132 PCI-e card -- and i have to make sure i still have a free slot in my PC to be 100% honest, but i'm pretty sure i do -- and you know where i can pick one up (would like to spend around USD $50 but would spend a bit more to avoid all ths hassle) please do let me know. i will look over this thread again, but you know, if you dont have the hardware in hand to be able to test it out, its kind of had to understand what it entails.

obviously it deosn't have to be either of the above, but some of the links in this thread are for cards available in other parts of the world. i'd rather get something from the USA.

thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM.

Edited by cmm3

Well I got the Sil3132 Sata onboard controller to work with my raptor. One thing, for some reason, XBench wont complete and it is getting slower speeds then when I had the messy-crashy nforce4 driver. Before I was getting around 78 on the disk test. Now it wont even finish. It only does uncached writeing, and it is getting slow speeds. Any Ideas?

hello!

I got the Sil3132 on my asus M2n32 mobo... is there posibility to get it to wiork?

do i need to make bios upgrade or just fixing kext?

| | | +-o pci1095,3132@0 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, acti$

| | | "compatible" = <"pci1043,819f","pci1095,3132","pciclass,018$

HELP! in system profiler my 3132 are not shown anywhere???

• 2 weeks later...
hello!

I got the Sil3132 on my asus M2n32 mobo... is there posibility to get it to wiork?

do i need to make bios upgrade or just fixing kext?

| | | +-o pci1095,3132@0 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, acti$

| | | "compatible" = <"pci1043,819f","pci1095,3132","pciclass,018$

HELP! in system profiler my 3132 are not shown anywhere???

edit'

works great! you just need to plug sata cable in sil3132 connector =)))))

edit'

works great! you just need to plug sata cable in sil3132 connector =)))))

What you mean? do you plug sata to external connector? i got a m2n32 too and i can't see sata workin' is there a chance?