Silicon Image release Universal SATA drivers

jester1o1

116 posts in this topic

With the release of the Mac Pro Silicon Image have released unibin drivers for their PCI-express sata controller (the 3132). With the 3132 being the PCI-E version of the 3112 I reckon its very likely this driver will run a 3112 with a simple plist edit! Anyone willing to give it a try? (I don't have an Si Controller).

3135 page: http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=32

Drivers: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index....&cid=3& <-- not sure whether I can attach them here...

More importantly - someone want to try these with an nForce?? :censored2:

Sorry it took so long, but somehow I managed to make my OS X unbootable trying to get the drivers to work. Didn't have success. This doesn't mean they might not work, but I'm a bit cautious now. Maybe someone else want to give them a try?

I just downloaded the 3132 driver and it works flawlessly!!! The wierd thing is that it is discovered as a Parallel SCSI drive instead of SATA. Check Silicon Image's website for drivers for your specific chipset.

Later,

Paul

I've got an ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe mainboard which has the SI 3132 controller (1x internal, 1x eSATA). So far it works flawlessly while stresstesting it with reading/writing about 20GB of data.

Much better actually than the crashy-bashy nForce4 controller which even crashes my system while the volumes on the drive are not mounted... Will update later if it works reliable.

Still no RAID with this one. What a pity!

Has anyone managed to get OS X installed on a drive connected to the 3132? I cloned my installation over with CCC, but not even the bootmanager loads up... Just black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner. Any ideas?

Hmmm, I'm trying to get these drivers to work with a MSI K8N NEO4 mainboard.

Because I don't want the Nforce4 to kill my harddisks, I'll try to manage if I can hook them

up at the Silicon Image 3114 SATA 5-6-7-8 ports.

The problem is that the onboard si3114 chipset is flashed with a softraid5 bios, and thus

I'm forced to use some kind of a RAID-configuration. Offcourse OSX will never recognize the RAID-set

(even if it's a JBOD).

So, I'm wondering, would it be possible to flash the onboard Silicon Image Bios with a 3114 IDE-Bios,

and use the 4 ports like regular SATA-ports?

I've taken a look at the site of MSI, and the bios for the si3114 is bundeld with the regular system-BIOS.

I've also tried to use the updflash utility from Silicon Image, but that's only for add-on cards.

I think, if we manage to succesfully flash the onboard bios, this might be a great solution for all of the Nforce4 victims with S-ATA drives, now if I could only find a way how...

Hi.

RAID or IDE rom from Sil is just one of the moduls inside system BIOS file. You can look and replace it with CBROM for AWARD and with AMIBCP for AMI. But no 100% garanty that it works for any boards. I replaced RAID rom on my Tyan K8W (2875) with new version from Sil and after flashing new BIOS got soft RAID5. I think other way is posible.

P.S.

I looked at your system BIOS file W7125NMS.1B0 for K8N Neo4 Platinum (PCB 1.0) and i can see Sil modul 5209.bin I can replace it any version. But i can't test it.

I'm going to try this method on my K8N-DL.

I think, if we manage to succesfully flash the onboard bios, this might be a great solution for all of the Nforce4 victims with S-ATA drives, now if I could only find a way how...
Not everyone out there has 8 SATA ports. I only have 4 nForce 4 ports, which are handled by two nForce SATA controllers. :hysterical:

• 1 month later...