A strange problem

Grahfex

35 posts in this topic

Hey, I have a strange problem. I can install SL..after installation, It asks me to reboot. During the proccess I get a Kernel Panic. However..I ignore this, restart, and SL boots up fine! Now, after I when I restart the system again, SL boots up..but very slow..it actually boots up into the OS BUT! When it does it takes a VERY long time.

Actually its as if it doesn't complete loading all the way. Is there something I did wrong?

MSI - K9N6SGM-V

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Black Edition

Realtek 8201CL

NVIDIA® MCP61

Realtek® ALC861/883/888

Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB</h3>

Maybe you could post the picture of your kernel panic so we can see what it is related to.About the slow boot time..i'm almost certain it is a problem in the chipset kexts for your mobo.My nforce chipset kexts are all fixed up so now it starts up way faster than before i tried my first luck with Snow Leo :;)

Maybe you could post the picture of your kernel panic so we can see what it is related to.About the slow boot time..i'm almost certain it is a problem in the chipset kexts for your mobo.My nforce chipset kexts are all fixed up so now it starts up way faster than before i tried my first luck with Snow Leo ::lol:

here ya go...I hope you can make heads or tails out of it. I took this picture with my ipod soooooo.......ya know.

mw6w7d.jpg

24xq3jb.jpg

What installation method did you use for getting Snow Leopard installed on your system?What bootloader is getting installed?Did you config any of the boot parameters manually?As i can see from the kernel panic pic,the kernel panic is related to Voodoo 9.5.0 XNU kernel being loaded which is a kernel for 10.5.5 Leopard (same kernel running on an install dvd of Snow Leopard Hazard 10.6.0/1/2 used to bootup the installation) instead of Legacy kernel 10.x.0 kernel that is built for Snow Leo.Strange.Post your answers so we can find a solution together :lol:

What installation method did you use for getting Snow Leopard installed on your system?What bootloader is getting installed?Did you config any of the boot parameters manually?As i can see from the kernel panic pic,the kernel panic is related to Voodoo 9.5.0 XNU kernel being loaded which is a kernel for 10.5.5 Leopard (same kernel running on an install dvd of Snow Leopard Hazard 10.6.0/1/2 used to bootup the installation) instead of Legacy kernel 10.x.0 kernel that is built for Snow Leo.Strange.Post your answers so we can find a solution together ;)

thanks for the speedy reply!! I really appreciate it!

Ok these are the options that I chose

GraphicEnabler

ArtherosFix

AMD Patch

Modbin Kernel_10.0

AHCI_SATA_Fix ( not really sure if I needed to pick this one )

X11

AppleRTC

ALC883

As mentioned before Install completes and when I prepares to reboot I get that Panic there...I can actually load the OS up for the FIRST time with no problem. But when I restart for a second time the system is slow to start up, It loads for a little bit and stops..sometimes I even get garbled graphics. I thought at first that I may have chose the wrong graphics kext so the next time I did an install I chose NVEnabler, though that didn't change a thing.

Oh,sry,didn't understand you very well from the first post.Well,you really don't have to worry about that kernel panic after the install if that is the only problem.So,i'm guessing you used the Snow Leo by Hazard like i originally thought.You selected everything okay as i see from your post.What i would suggest is trying to reinstall again,with 10.6.2 update and a legacy 10.2.0 kernel,see what happens.You really shouldn't use a "distro" when installing Snow Leopard.If you are not able to resolve your problems,the best thing to do would be to create two HFS+ partitions and first install Leopard 10.5.8 (iDeneb for example) and then install Snow Leopard from Leopard from your dvd.That way you will be able to install any bootloader you want as well as customize kexts and boot parameters. ;) Hope this sheds some light on the problem.Post back some results as well as what you plan to do next. :P

One more thing,if you reinstall once again,try selecting the IOATAFamily fix aswell and try turning off USB legacy in BIOS :)

Oh,sry,didn't understand you very well from the first post.Well,you really don't have to worry about that kernel panic after the install if that is the only problem.So,i'm guessing you used the Snow Leo by Hazard like i originally thought.You selected everything okay as i see from your post.What i would suggest is trying to reinstall again,with 10.6.2 update and a legacy 10.2.0 kernel,see what happens.You really shouldn't use a "distro" when installing Snow Leopard.If you are not able to resolve your problems,the best thing to do would be to create two HFS+ partitions and first install Leopard 10.5.8 (iDeneb for example) and then install Snow Leopard from Leopard from your dvd.That way you will be able to install any bootloader you want as well as customize kexts and boot parameters. ;) Hope this sheds some light on the problem.Post back some results as well as what you plan to do next. :P

Thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it!

I can try that right now. I really haven't done anything like that before with any OSX installs but theres a first time for everything..I'm pretty sure I can get through it. I'll give it a try right now and post the results as well as any pictures regarding Kernel Panics, etc.

Again thanks for your help!

No problem,glad to help.I'm sure you gonna make it work too,just needs a bit of trial and error.Took me a week of no sleep to get everything up and running.Be sure to try the reinstall with those corrections i've given you and post the results.Also,if encountering further errors,try booting with -f and -x flags,might help.IF you decide to go through installing Leopard and then Snow Leopard,let me know and i'll give you some fixed kexts for nForce chipsets that work for me more than perfectly.Talk soon,i'll be up all night. :D

No problem,glad to help.I'm sure you gonna make it work too,just needs a bit of trial and error.Took me a week of no sleep to get everything up and running.Be sure to try the reinstall with those corrections i've given you and post the results.Also,if encountering further errors,try booting with -f and -x flags,might help.IF you decide to go through installing Leopard and then Snow Leopard,let me know and i'll give you some fixed kexts for nForce chipsets that work for me more than perfectly.Talk soon,i'll be up all night. :D

So far so good! Im running 10.6.2 right now! I did receive the same kernel panic after install but like before I ignored it and booted into the system anyway. I installed the IOATAFamily Kext and turned off the legacy usb in my bios and BAM!! restarted with no problems. Now i just have to install my audio and i'll be fine.

Thanks for all of your help man! Glad to see at least someone thats dedicated to helping others!

So..with all this completed is there anything else I may need to do to ensure SL runs smoothly?

Great! Glad to hear that it works now ;) Open Safari,run youtube,anything CPU intensive..then what i want you to do is go in to the System Profiler,Apple logo up left corner,About This Mac and go to More Info and in the left pane go to logs and choose system.log.Scroll through and see if anywhere in the log you get something about mDNSResponder errors and "this mach apsolute time".Im probablly guessing you are since it's an AMD X2..Report back to me if so and we will see what next to fix up.It is a TSC synchronisation issue with AMD's on these legacy kernels and i've got a kext that will help you with that. :)

Great! Glad to hear that it works now ;) Open Safari,run youtube,anything CPU intensive..then what i want you to do is go in to the System Profiler,Apple logo up left corner,About This Mac and go to More Info and in the left pane go to logs and choose system.log.Scroll through and see if anywhere in the log you get something about mDNSResponder errors and "this mach apsolute time".Im probablly guessing you are since it's an AMD X2..Report back to me if so and we will see what next to fix up.It is a TSC synchronisation issue with AMD's on these legacy kernels and i've got a kext that will help you with that. :)

Ok I checked out Safari and everything seems to be working fine. Youtube works smoothly!

I checked out the system log and the only thing I really see is this

Jan 9 13:44:48 localhost mDNSResponder[28]: mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-214 (Oct 16 2009 06:09:34) starting

I don't see anything about "this mach absolute time"

Maybe I overlooked it..but so far so good!

Should I use that kext you mentioned just to be on the safe side?

From personal experience,no.If it all works smoothly,then you don't need the kext. ;) I myself had issues with choppy youtube and that got me thinking what is the problem in the first place.Open up the logs again but open kernel.log and check out if you have something like this --> TSC: Verification of clock speed PASSED.

Jan 9 17:15:56 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Frequency = 2211.320760MHz, FSB frequency = 201.29160MHz, bus ratio = 11 . If you have,that is a GOOD thing.And also,if you can't find anything similar to --> "Unsynchronized TSC for cpu 1: 0x0000000d89454e69, delta 0x15511",you are on the safe side :) Now,you've got some cleaning up to do because there are some messy kexts in place right now.You can also update your FakeSMC kext with support for plugins so you can monitor your fan speed,voltages and cpu temperature.Also,you will probablly need to patch your dyld libraries as far as i remember,that is not done automatically for 10.6.2 legacy kernel.Are you interested in pushing everything a step further?Updateing to 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 ?

From personal experience,no.If it all works smoothly,then you don't need the kext. ;) I myself had issues with choppy youtube and that got me thinking what is the problem in the first place.Open up the logs again but open kernel.log and check out if you have something like this --> TSC: Verification of clock speed PASSED.

Jan 9 17:15:56 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Frequency = 2211.320760MHz, FSB frequency = 201.29160MHz, bus ratio = 11 . If you have,that is a GOOD thing.And also,if you can't find anything similar to --> "Unsynchronized TSC for cpu 1: 0x0000000d89454e69, delta 0x15511",you are on the safe side :) Now,you've got some cleaning up to do because there are some messy kexts in place right now.You can also update your FakeSMC kext with support for plugins so you can monitor your fan speed,voltages and cpu temperature.Also,you will probablly need to patch your dyld libraries as far as i remember,that is not done automatically for 10.6.2 legacy kernel.Are you interested in pushing everything a step further?Updateing to 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 ?

Ok I didn't see anything that looked like

TSC: Verification of clock speed PASSED.

Jan 9 17:15:56 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Frequency = 2211.320760MHz, FSB frequency = 201.29160MHz, bus ratio = 11

and yes..updating the system is something that I'm interested in..anything that will further educate me!

Okay then.. ;)http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324 Download the combo updater. Also,download the 10.5.0 legacy kernel installer from nawcom that will also automatically patch your dyld so you don't have to worry about that --> http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels...-10.5.0.pkg.zip as you will need it after the combo update. Also,i would suggest you try out the AnVal bootloader i am using as it works pretty good.Also has some fixes and many options..are you using a PS2 or an USB keyboard? If it is USB,then you can use,with AnVal,the USBLegacyOff override so you can keep it enabled in BIOS.

The installer for the kernel will also set your com.apple.boot.plist file with some boot arguments so your AMD will run 64bit apps along side 32bit apps correctlly..

Just run the installer,make sure you're installing to your Snow Leo partition.After it is complete,it will ask you to restart your computer.DO NOT restart,just leave the window open and run the installer for the kernel,enter your pass let it install...it will setup everything automatically.It should be pretty straight forward...reboot and that is that :) Then,when you boot up the system again,post back here for other small fixes.One question,how long does it take for your system to boot up right now?As i said earlier,if it takes a long time,i'll give you a fixed IOATAFamily and AppleNForceATA kexts.

Ok, I ran the combo installer and everything went smooth. I didn't restart and I ran the kernel installer and rebooted.

At the boot screen I got a KP.

Oh and it takes while for the system to boot.

Heres a picture of the KP.

I may have overlooked something, it's ok though. Trial and error, all part of the learning process!

I'll try to install again and update

post-414319-1294619008_thumb.jpg

All trial and error ;) First,try to boot with -v -f and -v -f -x and see if there are some changes.If that doesn't help,just reinstall 10.6.2 again and then i will give you the kexts i use and tell you what to delete aditionally..

ok I'll get right on it!

Yes,it fixes the TSC sync issues.I use it. ;)

Ahhh, Im glad! I used to have an AMD X2 myself and the TSC angered me!, but now I have an AMD X3 without those tsc issues. I guess the TSC issues also caused kernel panics. And updating to 10.6.6 was really easy, backed up the 10.5 kernel I was using and patched a few libs and it worked just fine with 64bit apps even.

Graphex,tell me if you reinstall to 10.6.2 and when you do..so we can do it right this time ;) EDIT: Just remembered... boot your install dvd,open utilities and go to terminal. Type "df" and see what partition is your Snow Leopard installed.It will be something like "rdisk0s2". Then do: mount - o remount,rw/ -t /dev/rdisk0s2 <--- replace with your partition designator. Then: cd /Volumes/your-partition-name/System/Library/Extensions/ Then you need to remove SleepEnabler.kext ... rm -rf SleepEnabler.kext . Then type-> kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions .Than just reboot :)

Graphex,tell me if you reinstall to 10.6.2 and when you do..so we can do it right this time ;)

I booted with the flags you told me to use...

first with -v -f -x and successfully booted into safe mode.

I restarted the system and booted with -v -f

system restarted by itself.

Did it again with the same flags -v -f and booted into OSX!

I haven't tried the regular way yet..but my only problem now is my network and sound isn't working.

Oh,great! Didn't refresh the topic so didn't see your latest post...just boot into safemode and go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete SleepEnabler.kext ,open your Applications there should be KextUtility,run it and it will rebuild your kext caches,then just reboot with -v and watch for errors,hope there will be none ;) Post what happened,i hope you will boot normally so we can fine tune it a bit.