10.6.6 Hackintosh (lifehacker guide) "You need to restart your computer"

Charlie97L

48 posts in this topic

The retail disk will never boot directly from BIOS you need something like the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from tonymacs site, you put this in then switch disks to boot the retail disk.

ok i will try that. thanks.

nevermind i'm an idiot... give me a few minutes.

ok when i'm in terminal and i'm typing the code, as follows

rm -r /Volumes/Mac\Pro/Extra/Extensions/sleepenabler.kext

I get no such file or directory. any thoughts? i've tried to navigate to the dir, and i can't seem to get past the install name, which i have as

"Mac Pro"

i've tried "/Mac_Pro/" "/Mac Pro/" "/Mac\Pro/" "MacPro" and nothing so I"m pretty sure getting the path right is my tripping block here.

SO CLOSE.

ok so i was finally able to navigate there manually and there is no extensions DIR

when I ls in "extra" I have the following

DSDT.aml

Themes

smbios.plist

Extensions.mkext

com.apple.Boot.plist

so the directory is there, i just can't see it?

No you have a space character in the name so it needs to be escaped with the back slash ie. Mac\ Pro/sleepenabler.kext also the sleepenabler.kext is probably not what it is named. Try this when at the command line type in the rm -r /V then hit the TAB key to complete the command to something like this rm -r /Volumes/. Now at this point if you were to hit the TAB key twice it will list the other possible completions like below.

MacUser2525s-Mac-Pro-i5:~ MacUser2525$ ll /Volumes/
 Media/		TM_Backups/   WD_1/		 WD_3/		 video/		
 Snow_i5_Raid/ WDSnow_i5/	WD_2/

Now if you put in in your case rm -r /Volumes/M and hit TAB again it will complete for you to rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/ doing the escaping automatically for you. Put in rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/E then TAB completes to rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/Extra/ and add another E rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/Extra/E then TAB completes to rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/Extra/Extensions/ where you could hit the TAB twice to see your options of the letter/number you wanted to do next to get your full command line to execute. If there are multiple options when doing the completion then it will not do it this is where the two TABs in a row can come in handy when doing these auto-completion steps.

Edit: Almost forgot it looks like the .kext you are looking for is in the System directory or on a hidden EFI partition as you do not have an Extensions directory listed above as in the contents of your /Extra.

No you have a space character in the name so it needs to be escaped with the back slash ie. Mac\ Pro/sleepenabler.kext also the sleepenabler.kext is probably not what it is named. Try this when at the command line type in the rm -r /V then hit the TAB key to complete the command to something like this rm -r /Volumes/. Now at this point if you were to hit the TAB key twice it will list the other possible completions like below.

MacUser2525s-Mac-Pro-i5:~ MacUser2525$ ll /Volumes/
  Media/		TM_Backups/   WD_1/		 WD_3/		 video/		
  Snow_i5_Raid/ WDSnow_i5/	WD_2/

Now if you put in in your case rm -r /Volumes/M and hit TAB again it will complete for you to rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/ doing the escaping automatically for you. Put in rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/E then TAB completes to rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/Extra/ and add another E rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/Extra/E then TAB completes to rm -r /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/Extra/Extensions/ where you could hit the TAB twice to see your options of the letter/number you wanted to do next to get your full command line to execute. If there are multiple options when doing the completion then it will not do it this is where the two TABs in a row can come in handy when doing these auto-completion steps.

Edit: Almost forgot it looks like the .kext you are looking for is in the System directory or on a hidden EFI partition as you do not have an Extensions directory listed above as in the contents of your /Extra.

Thanks. I will check the System directory. EFI sounds familiar. How do I access that partition?

Thank you so much for your help.

I'm definitely going to look into something like Carbon Copy so I can clone the HDD to prevent stuff like this from happening in the future, or to give me an easier access to fix it.

So you say that you couldn't restart the OS.And after the update was complete,how did you restart it?Did it finally restart by itself or did you push the hardware button for a hard reboot?Asking because this could be the cause.. Those dyld cache errors before the KP of fsck are totally strange... This has nothing to do with the sleep enabler,if it did,the kernel panic would backtrace to the ACPI platform.The fact that filesystem checking has crashed the system means only fixing that will bring the OS back to it's feet.Since you cannot boot with -x or -s (can you boot with -s?),i would boot the install dvd,try to verify/repair disk and permissions.. Also,the dyld shared caches can be erased /private/var/db/dyld/ .. which will force the system to rebuild them properly but.. not sure how safe it is for this situation.Booting into safe mode would flush the caches but since you cannot do that..Best bet,boot into single user mode (if you can) and do update_dyld_shared_cache -force.Tell us how it is going along. :)

Thanks. I will check the System directory. EFI sounds familiar. How do I access that partition?

Thank you so much for your help.

I'm definitely going to look into something like Carbon Copy so I can clone the HDD to prevent stuff like this from happening in the future, or to give me an easier access to fix it.

To access use diskutil list to get the output of the disk(s) in your system it will show you similar to this.

MacUser2525s-Mac-Pro-i5:~ MacUser2525$ diskutil list
  /dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*60.0 GB	disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				 Apple_RAID						 59.7 GB	disk0s2
  3:				 Apple_Boot Boot OSX				134.2 MB   disk0s3

Now to access use the instructions in this thread in Phase 2 and if I was you when I got it mounted I would do a copy of it out of the hidden partition into your /Extra folder to get rid of using that idea.

cp -Rp /Volumes/EFI/Extensions /Volumes/Mac\ Pro/Extra/

Then remove the sleep.kext in both partitions to be certain it is gone and rebuild the cache in the /Extra directory. Now no need for the CCC if all you are doing is straight up clone use the Restore function in diskutil the graphical edition of it in the Applications -> Utilities folder. Basically all you do is erase the partition where you are going to clone too naming differently than current install. Then select the Restore button dragging your current install to the Source the partition to be cloned onto as the Destination un-check the Erase before option as this will make the naming identical (and damn confusing when booting to pick right partition) then hit Restore button in the window that opened to have it do the cloning. When this is done you have to re-install the Chameleon boot loader to make it boot-able when the time comes I can provide you with the instruction and files need to do this.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

going to try repairing permissions now...

OHHH YES.

Verifying/repairing permissions did it! I did that, rebooted, and during the apple logo/wheel it rebooted once on it's own, and then went through everything again and loaded back up all the way. I'm back on the desktop!

I'm ordering a 2nd drive now to clone. :)

Thank you to EVERYONE who posted. Big help.

Ok, so now that I"m here and it's reading 10.6.6, do I need to do anything to just insure everything is working ok? When I verify permissions it still gives me several errors... Warning SUID file ... has been modified and will not be repaired, Permissions Differ, and User Differs.

It did shut down cleanly. I will hit any more repairs you all advise me to do tomorrow afternoon.

I'm in a slightly similar scenario. I don't have any crashes on boot but sleep isn't working for me (machine KPs upon waking from sleep). I've set my machine not to ever sleep for now.

I went from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 (Kakewalk installation). Can someone tell me if the 10.6.5 64 bit sleepenabler works fine with 10.6.6 or do I need to wait for the 10.6.6 version to be written?

Thanks.

I'm in a slightly similar scenario. I don't have any crashes on boot but sleep isn't working for me (machine KPs upon waking from sleep). I've set my machine not to ever sleep for now.

I went from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 (Kakewalk installation). Can someone tell me if the 10.6.5 64 bit sleepenabler works fine with 10.6.6 or do I need to wait for the 10.6.6 version to be written?

Thanks.

I actually don't care if mine goes to sleep. It's used as a studio workstation, so going to sleep bonks up pro tools anyway.

I just want to know what else I can do to clean up the install now that I'm functional again.

Thanks!

Charlie,i'm glad that helped.If you are satisfied with how it works and it performs well,then no you don't have to do nothing more. ;)

apple_core,there is a sleepenabler for 10.6.6,dig around the forum a bit. :)

ok, so even with the permissions errors, that doesn't matter?

ok, so even with the permissions errors, that doesn't matter?

Not at all real Mac users see the same thing when they do it. When the new drive arrives for the cloning you will most likely want to get that /Extensions out of the hidden partition. Then clone to it confirm everything works then maybe clone back to the original drive to make sure nothing is left laying around in there at all. Unless you do a byte for byte copy of the old drive then you need to re-install the Chameleon every time you clone no matter what program you use.

Not at all real Mac users see the same thing when they do it. When the new drive arrives for the cloning you will most likely want to get that /Extensions out of the hidden partition. Then clone to it confirm everything works then maybe clone back to the original drive to make sure nothing is left laying around in there at all. Unless you do a byte for byte copy of the old drive then you need to re-install the Chameleon every time you clone no matter what program you use.

I'm likely going to do a fresh install on the new drive using whatever method is recommended around here, and then copy what i need over and then use the existing drive as the clone.

alright Charlie97L ... i used Hazard 10.6.2 and then upgraded to 10.6.6... i had to remove some kexts and i was good to go..so i dont know whether your retail disk might work in the same way or not..so let me try...

can u answer these questions...

1. do u have windows installed along with the snow leopard ?

2. if u do..then do u have macdrive installed ?? this software enables you to view the contents of the snow leopard installation and hence u can delete some kexts from there or you can backup ur data..which i think u wanted to do !!

3. next..when you are at darwin prompt..(or chameleon prompt) ..can u try these boot flags...and tell me what u see... -v -s

lemme know what u get !!!

alright Charlie97L ... i used Hazard 10.6.2 and then upgraded to 10.6.6... i had to remove some kexts and i was good to go..so i dont know whether your retail disk might work in the same way or not..so let me try...

can u answer these questions...

1. do u have windows installed along with the snow leopard ?

2. if u do..then do u have macdrive installed ?? this software enables you to view the contents of the snow leopard installation and hence u can delete some kexts from there or you can backup ur data..which i think u wanted to do !!

3. next..when you are at darwin prompt..(or chameleon prompt) ..can u try these boot flags...and tell me what u see... -v -s

lemme know what u get !!!

Thanks, I'm all good now. It's booting up fine, it was definitely a problem with the 10.6.6 install itself.

No windows, no macdrive.

I'm going to get my new drive going with a fresh install, transfer stuff over, and do a clone thing for the future. i'm not going to upgrade this comp past snow leopard anyway and i feel we're hitting the end of it here, also.

I'm likely going to do a fresh install on the new drive using whatever method is recommended around here, and then copy what i need over and then use the existing drive as the clone.

May as well go with retail install method using either an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd or your existing install to open the retail disk to install with. That way you get to know exactly what is on your machine because you put it on yourself it saves you a bunch of headaches if ever needing to trouble shoot.

May as well go with retail install method using either an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd or your existing install to open the retail disk to install with. That way you get to know exactly what is on your machine because you put it on yourself it saves you a bunch of headaches if ever needing to trouble shoot.

yeah i was planning on doing an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install, from the methods i've been researching.

yeah i was planning on doing an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install, from the methods i've been researching.

Good although probably the better method is starting the installer within your existing install to install onto new drive then once you have everything installed onto the new when you first boot it everything will be done, no extra steps necessary fully working install that way.

Good although probably the better method is starting the installer within your existing install to install onto new drive then once you have everything installed onto the new when you first boot it everything will be done, no extra steps necessary fully working install that way.

oh cool, so from the desktop, just launch the retail disk and install it onto the new drive?

will that allow me to update without any issues?

oh cool, so from the desktop, just launch the retail disk and install it onto the new drive?

Just a little more than that the disk itself will not install from running install so you close down that leaving it mounted then as root user in Terminal.

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

Changing to the required directory then.

open OSInstall.mpkg

To open the installer package on the disk which will install onto drive in your machine. You would open diskutil from Utilities menu and partition then format drive and install, once install is completed do not restart yet. Also when installing you can choose Customize then de-select all printer drivers and all Language Translations to save space. You can if you so wish/need select only the printer model and additional language you want. When the installer is done close it down then in the Terminal.

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Snow_Install_Name

To take back ownership of the drive. Now you would install your .kext you know you need onto the new install, the Chameleon boot loader, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist and DSDT.aml if using one. Now when you boot into the install for the first time it will be fully working if you chose the correct options for each of these. Oh you would have wanted to in Terminal.

cd

So you would no longer be in the directory of the retail disk so you can eject it.

will that allow me to update without any issues?

With the correct options chosen yes. Since you know about the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] you have seen the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as well it is probably your best bet to get all the extras needed installed in an easy fashion. When using it at the start just choose any single option to get to go through to the end where it will let you change the install location set your new disk as that location then it will go back to the start where you can select all your options wanted when you get to the end this time it will show you that it is installing onto new drive so let it do its stuff then. There are a couple of other quirks with the Mulibeast depending on the options you want installed once you figure those out then I can tell you more about what is needed to get them on the new drive, or we can do it all in the Terminal if you so wish.

Just a little more than that the disk itself will not install from running install so you close down that leaving it mounted then as root user in Terminal.

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

Changing to the required directory then.

open OSInstall.mpkg

To open the installer package on the disk which will install onto drive in your machine. You would open diskutil from Utilities menu and partition then format drive and install, once install is completed do not restart yet. Also when installing you can choose Customize then de-select all printer drivers and all Language Translations to save space. You can if you so wish/need select only the printer model and additional language you want. When the installer is done close it down then in the Terminal.

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Snow_Install_Name

To take back ownership of the drive. Now you would install your .kext you know you need onto the new install, the Chameleon boot loader, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist and DSDT.aml if using one. Now when you boot into the install for the first time it will be fully working if you chose the correct options for each of these. Oh you would have wanted to in Terminal.

cd

So you would no longer be in the directory of the retail disk so you can eject it.

With the correct options chosen yes. Since you know about the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] you have seen the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as well it is probably your best bet to get all the extras needed installed in an easy fashion. When using it at the start just choose any single option to get to go through to the end where it will let you change the install location set your new disk as that location then it will go back to the start where you can select all your options wanted when you get to the end this time it will show you that it is installing onto new drive so let it do its stuff then. There are a couple of other quirks with the Mulibeast depending on the options you want installed once you figure those out then I can tell you more about what is needed to get them on the new drive, or we can do it all in the Terminal if you so wish.

Thanks, I will hit you up when I get my new drive in. It's enroute.