• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

velinn

velinn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
How about not being able to close the lid of your laptop without going into sleep mode? Talk about annoying.

deadlyhifi

deadlyhifi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I find it annoying that some programs close when you click the X button, and some just go an hide in the dock. I think they should all close, as the minimize button hides things as well.

rogabean

rogabean

My Mac wants you!

• Retired Developers
  • 863 posts

How about not being able to close the lid of your laptop without going into sleep mode? Talk about annoying.

This can be changed can it not? I was able to change it on the iBook, although the girl preferred it going to sleep so it was changed back.

I find it annoying that some programs close when you click the X button, and some just go an hide in the dock. I think they should all close, as the minimize button hides things as well.

That's a feature. I like that when I hit the close button iTunes disappears but continues to run while not cluttering up the section of my dock it would if I minimized it.

This has been a feature of the Mac OS since before OS X.

If I want something to actually close I use the key combo. If I hit the close button I only want that window to close out and not be minimized on the dock... I still want the app to run.

perhaps an option to change this behavior would work so that those who like it as it is now can continue and others can have it another way... i.e. a "Windows Behavior" section in System Prefs.

It the same I way I miss the old window blinds feature from OS 9. double click the title bar and it folds up like a window shade.... not minimizes to the dock.

quixos

quixos

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 943 posts

to change finder column size and keep it that way. Hold down 'alt' (is that 'option' for you crazy americans?) and drag to the desired size. When you return it stays that way.

i'm very very happy about this information. i thought, perhaps it wouldn't remain set after a reboot, but it did!

this is not as well known as it should be. folks over at macosxhints and other forums have asked the same question and not gotten a working answer. the answer is hidden in the forums there, and elsewhere. but i needed your information, "alt+columns+finder" to find it hidden in under the brilliantly unhelpfully titled post "Two little annoyances about finder from a noob - any help appreciated". just want to find him and poke him with a stick until bloody.

you should post this in the Genius Bar. "[How to] Permanently change width of columns in Finder" or some descriptive title.

thanks again for fixing my SUPREME OS X annoyance! :P

Guest: Guest_*

• Guests

This can be changed can it not? I was able to change it on the iBook, although the girl preferred it going to sleep so it was changed back.

:D

Can you please show me where to change that? I've looked every where I could think to look, but I can't find it. I've even Googled it and came up with forum posts saying that the only way it could be done is to put a paperclip (??) over whatever it is that causes the OS to realise the lid was closed. And of course posts saying not to do that because the heat will fry your screen. Or something. Anyway, point being that I can't find that in any preference I've looked at.

Nothing like switching OS's to get that noob feeling back, eh? :blink:

Other than that, I don't have any other annoyances with OS X. Maybe a more unified GUI would be nice; some programs are brushed metal, some aren't, some themes change scroll bars while leaving the rest metal, etc. There shouldn't be so many "looks" to program windows. Issues that others have brought up (dashboard, minimizing instead of closing, etc) I all find to be "just right" the way they are. Of course I'm fairly new to the OS in general and am still in the "wow" phase. Maybe I'll get annoyed in a month or two. :D

rogabean

rogabean

My Mac wants you!

• Retired Developers
  • 863 posts
When she gets home later and when I can pry the laptop from her I'll take a look. I know there was something I changed just don't remember what.

And I would agree that closing the lid on any laptop with it running is a bad idea.

jrrjrr

jrrjrr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 289 posts
When I go to shutdown, I would like it to shutdown, not pop open another window telling me to click to shutdown or wait 2 minutes and it will do it for me. I wish there was a way to set and option to have it just shutdown and skip this second step.

aqualeviathan

aqualeviathan

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

When I go to shutdown, I would like it to shutdown, not pop open another window telling me to click to shutdown or wait 2 minutes and it will do it for me. I wish there was a way to set and option to have it just shutdown and skip this second step.

This doesn't really solve it, but you can speed up the process by holding option (alt I believe) while clicking shut down. It should skip the warning message.

CSMatt

CSMatt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Some of these have already been fixed, but it's still funny.

non sequitur

non sequitur

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
when i transferred the vista iso from y ipod to my macbook pro, the whole system screeched to an almost halt. everything was jumpy and i couldnt do anything till it was done. i wish that huge file transfers didnt bog the systm.

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
As Microsoft taught us, they're not bugs/annoyances. They are features, lololol

OSXFiles

OSXFiles

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

one thing i wish they would change is the annoying iLife 06 advertising messages, i clicked the don't show again box, yet the persist

Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon

InsaneMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
i've got turn off display set at 10 minutes of inactivity, when i'm watching a movie at Quicktime it turns off anyway

Weebs

Weebs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Computer programming, music, video games
I've only had my Mac for two days now, but I can't stand switching apps with command+tab and command+`, does anyone know any program out there or anything so I can make command+tab more like Windows in OSX?

sandwer

sandwer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 97 posts
On dual display - I'd like to see an option to stretch the toolbar across both windows. The 'other' display always looks bare without it....

Apart from that, no real annoyances

//R

Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon

InsaneMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

I've only had my Mac for two days now, but I can't stand switching apps with command+tab and command+`, does anyone know any program out there or anything so I can make command+tab more like Windows in OSX?

expose??

Weebs

Weebs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Computer programming, music, video games
If you mean selecting all windows, I already use that command alot but I still perfer windows alt+tab, as for expose' command+tab, it only tabs to the program and not a specific window unless you use command+` which has no GUI and can be annoying using it. I'm looking for an app that can commad+tab like windows where you go to a specific window on all apps.

• Guests
I have Expose set to trigger when my mouse goes to the bottom left hand side of the screen. So literally with a flick of my wrist, all open windows slide onto the screen and I can choose which one I want to come forward. It was a "wow neat!" flashy feature at first, but now that I've gotten used to it, it is extremely intuitive. I don't know how I ever got along without it.

Did anyone figure out how to set the OS to not go to sleep automatically when the lid is shut? I'd really like to be able to do that because I have cats.. and if you need more of an explaination than that, you don't have cats. ^_^

cardinal

cardinal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

If you mean selecting all windows, I already use that command alot but I still perfer windows alt+tab, as for expose' command+tab, it only tabs to the program and not a specific window unless you use command+` which has no GUI and can be annoying using it. I'm looking for an app that can commad+tab like windows where you go to a specific window on all apps.

You are looking for Witch. It will let you alt-tab while showing a list of all windows, not just one entry per application as cmd-tab does.

Guest: Guest: roberto_*_*

Guest: Guest: roberto_*_*
  • Guests
I get annoyed that there is no better way to look through images with Preview in sequence. You have to open iPhoto to scroll through-some things are not iPhoto worthy! There should probably be forward and back buttons. Anybody else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy