pebcak

pebcak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
http://www.starryhop.../2006/keyfixer/

http://lifehacker.co...d-mac-download/

those small tools on that site and zooom2 fixed the main annoyances (sloppy focus, home/end, edge sliding and such stuff) for me.

exman

exman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Biggest annoyance for me is the rubbish that is Finder. File management in OS X is atrociously tedious compared to Windows, especially if you have many directories that are 5-6 levels deep.

fatshitcat

fatshitcat

fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
Recovered Files in Trash
:(

NEDM64

NEDM64

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Minimize All Windows

Arrange Windows Horizontally and Vertically

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Hates spotlight.
I still was unable to find out what the clear key does... :help: Can't be possible it's just there for the CALCULATOR?!

 Suzie's Soliloquy

 Suzie's Soliloquy

Professor of Mac-Ology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

I still was unable to find out what the clear key does... :turbin: Can't be possible it's just there for the CALCULATOR?!

I believe it is; since the whole num-pad is very calculator-oriented

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
It's just that I thought computers had evolved beyond being mere calculator replacements ;)

fatshitcat

fatshitcat

fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
Actually, they did. :P

But Spotlight Calculator is one of the best features in OS X.

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hmm, I just started it the first time and its the only calculator I know that connects to the internet (wu-calculator.apple.com)... Amazing thing...
~edit: Aaah, currency conversion updating...

Shredplayer

Shredplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
most guys get annoyed because they're into windows and they expect those features to be present in OS X and vice versa.

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Minimize All Windows

Option-click the minimize button.

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • 2,590 posts
All Hail to the KING, Long live the KING!!

I see Option and the + lines them up nicely, and if you click on them again it rearranges them in a different layout!
and option x closes all directory windows at once, as well
you just saved me a LOT of annoyances! I'ts amazing how the simplest of things make your life so easy!?

SticMAN

cain.

cain.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Or right click in the dock: 'Hide'. Not the same, but similar...

Threepwood

Threepwood

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

1. No "Up" button in finder.. only back or forward..

Right click and choose 'customize'. Add the 'path' button. This will let you navigate directly to any previous folder.

2. The dock - it's either always on top.. or normal focus.. or hidden. why can't it regain focus like rklauncher on wnXP does? In RK.. the current window has focus till the mouse hits the bottom edge of the screen, then RK grabs focus. This allows for uncluttered full screen apps.

What do you mean? If it's hidden it'll turn up again when you move the pointer to the bottom of the screen. Do you want it to be visible but out of focus? Don't really see the point. :)

3. Finder doesn't seem to remember individual folder views.. under XP if you viewed one folder as thumbnails.. all the others would stay as list.. but it would remember the one you set to as thumbnails. in Finder.. it just sets everything to what the last view mode was.

You can set a folder to always open in icon view but the general Finder settings override this. If you open the folder through Spotlight instead you get the icon view.

Minimizing windows is totally unnecessary in OS X. If you really want to get rid of an app, just hide it with cmd + H.

I for one really like the Dock. I love how you can drag files directly to apps and how the icons display stats like download progress or number of emails. If it takes up too much space just hide it.

Would be great if you could hide the menu bar as well.

Threepwood

Threepwood

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

When I've shown several users the way to resize the Dock with the separation bar, they're amazed.

You can change the Dock size in system preferences. It's very obvious. You can't blame the software designers for everything.

Not that everything in OS X is obvious. I find it really stupid that there isn't a menu command for checking the size of multiple files (you have to press cmd + option + I, but you can only find this info in the help file).

13. The Apple menu. It's ridiculous to have a menu that's a graphic of an apple when other menus have names. How is it intuitive at all to have "shutdown" or "recent items" under a picture of an apple? Many users don't realize it's a menu. Plus, it's underpowered. Surely there could be more functionality in it, at least as an option.

It's the menu for the Apple computer.

14. The bright red/blue American flag for the keyboard layout menu. The other icons and menu items are monochromatic and black, so why must I be annoyed by the bright red OS 9 icon? The human eye is attracted to red, which makes it stick out even more.

Flags look like {censored} and aren'y easily integrated into a stylish GUI. If you don't need it just turn it off.

15. The clown button ("stop light") window controls. "Tog", who was an Apple UI guy years ago, wrote about this broken metaphor and its problems. It's too colorful, for one thing. I don't want to see three bright colors. The grey version hides the functionality. The mouse-overs are easy to overlook, especially with the strong 3D lighting in Tiger's grey skin. I could go on, but this is one aspect of OS X's UI that has needed improvement for a long time.

I've never liked the stop light buttons, they look like gumdrops. But it isn't hard to remember what the three buttons do. I don't think the grey theme hides the functionality more than the colored one.

16. The horsey 14 point menu font. On a Cinema Display it's not so bad. On a 1024x768 monitor, it's absurd.

Using a 1024x768 monitor in 2008 is absurd. :( No seriously, I agree, like many other things this should be customizable.

Enter goes into filename changing mode while cmd + down arrow opens the file. Where's the logic in that?

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
OS X has it's own logic. :) But after awhile you get used to it.

1. No "Up" button in finder.. only back or forward..

cmd-down is open (or cmd-o), and cmd-up is up in the hierachy. Also if you right click the finder window title bar you get a nested folder structure. Try it! Also in Safari! :P

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
It has no official support from Apple on PCs...=[

MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
This may have been mentioned before, that :) :( mouse acceleration that can't be :D turned off! :wacko:

Leoopardoo

Leoopardoo

..loves fresh fruits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

This may have been mentioned before, that ;) :censored2: mouse acceleration that can't be :censored2: turned off! :wacko:

Do you mean this new - 10.5.6 "feature" including mouse lags while running iTunes or Quicktime ? :)

XLR

XLR

2cores1cpu.mov

• Donators
  • 889 posts
This is definitely one of the best threads i've read imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy