OS X Annoyances

Swad

278 posts in this topic

Games, you have to download Universal Binary otherwise you run into errors, i still don't know why it turns into an issue, I mean tiger isn't too far from leopard :( , yet still some things don't work unless u have UB. Hmm Another annoyance for me is theres no cut function, there should be it's much more convenient.. they should def add that. hmm and not being able to close windows with keyboard(Appz Ctrl-Q, doesn't work on folder windows), I'm sure theres a shortcut but i haven't figured it out, but u can hide which is a great feature imo way better then minimize.. Thats about it I think.

Cmd+Q is quit app. Cmd+W is close window. Cmd+W works in every app, as well as Finder. It's the equivalent of clicking the X button.

I'm *afraid* to put my OS X on any foreign network, more because I'm worried I'll leave junk all over the network anytime I connect to anything. Can't there be a "don't leave junk all over the network" checkbox somewhere?

There is an option to do just that with the free software Onyx.

It's kind of annoying that if a program loses focus, the menu bar changes -- Example, if I click on the desktop while using Safari, I have to click on Safari to get Safari's menu bar options back.

As I understand, It's either the menu bar, or the toolbar like in Windows (which allows click-through). I've gotten used to it.

The fact that application developers can't stay away from my Documents folder just drives me insane.

I can't even hide the folder with a dot because the apps don't recognize them and create a new folder instead.

Jesus! Learn from Microsoft for once and don't fill my Documents folder with that {censored}. Can't they ALL agree and place system settings in Library/Application Support :D

It's a small thingie but it annoys the {censored} out of me. :D :D :D

The fact that application developers can't stay away from my Documents folder just drives me insane.

I can't even hide the folder with a dot because the apps don't recognize them and create a new folder instead.

Jesus! Learn from Microsoft for once and don't fill my Documents folder with that {censored}. Can't they ALL agree and place system settings in Library/Application Support :)

It's a small thingie but it annoys the {censored} out of me. :):rolleyes::angel:

aw agreed thats mine only thing

i've grown up with macs so most things don't bother me ;)

Jesus! Learn from Microsoft for once and don't fill my Documents folder with that {censored}. Can't they ALL agree and place system settings in Library/Application Support

Um, Microsoft is the primary offender. Microsoft has been disrespecting Apple's directories for many years. Why? Because the company can. It's fun for them to stick it to Apple. The first example is Office 6 which created a Microsoft directory right in the main hard disk directory. Then, its replacements Office 98-2008 spammed the Documents folder with "Microsoft User Data". Other companies, like Adobe and Roxio, have followed Microsoft's lead and decided to spam the folder.

...but computers really need to move past requiring users to use CLIs and hold-down keyboard codes. If there is a CLI, it should come with a partial graphical interface, like a modern version of the Apple III's SOS (or a mouse-driven system BIOS). Imagine if system BIOS screens were replaced with a CLI. Ugh.
Well, I definately hope that your vision will NEVER come through. Gimme a 'bash'-shell and I can perfectly live with it - in case of system-administration tasks (i.e. clustering, failover, ...) even prefer it -

The main point issue is requiring a CLI or hold-down keyboard codes at boot. I'm quite aware that some users love CLIs.

and actually, I'd sometimes definately be happy to give my bios some special parameters and/or options along the way without big entering of the setup and booting afterwards again.

Having to boot into setup and reboot isn't the issue I was talking about. I was talking about replacing BIOS screens with a CLI.

it all depends on what you are doing and trying to accomplish with 'your' computer and as so, your demands may be different.

Which is why I object to CLIs and hold-down keyboard commands because when I use a computer I expect it to be fairly user-friendly. A CLI hides the controls, although "man" helps to some degree. It's also linear/modal because each line is entered one after the other.

you go a bit too far as far as i'm concerned...

In what way? Not wanting a CLI BIOS and having to learn hidden commands like "hold down these keys to do this" at boot?

and well, there a quite a couple (even built-in) solutions for some of your problems.

What computers should have by default is something like the Lisa's environments visual boot manager where users can select the boot volume visually with a single click, without having to hold down keys at special times and hope a stupid BIOS window or something else decides to show up, having to reboot, or having to hold down special keys and wait for a long time for the spinning wheel to stop and the volumes to show up. With my D3SL, I have to either go through BIOS screens and save changes to change the boot volume or I have to press f12 at the right time and hope that the boot menu will come up (it doesn't always). That boot menu also takes some time to appear and then one must go to a sub-screen to select the volume. It's tedious and archaic. Apple's machines require users to hold down the option key and that's even worse because it takes forever and often misses volumes. Boot Camp addresses the problem in a limited fashion, but at least it's something.

Ok i'm new to osx so there may be some easy ways around these that I'm not aware of.

1. No "Up" button in finder.. only back or forward..

2. The dock - it's either always on top.. or normal focus.. or hidden. why can't it regain focus like rklauncher on wnXP does? In RK.. the current window has focus till the mouse hits the bottom edge of the screen, then RK grabs focus. This allows for uncluttered full screen apps.

3. Finder doesn't seem to remember individual folder views.. under XP if you viewed one folder as thumbnails.. all the others would stay as list.. but it would remember the one you set to as thumbnails. in Finder.. it just sets everything to what the last view mode was.

• 1 month later...

Biggest annoyance for me is the rubbish that is Finder. File management in OS X is atrociously tedious compared to Windows, especially if you have many directories that are 5-6 levels deep.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I just started it the first time and its the only calculator I know that connects to the internet (wu-calculator.apple.com)... Amazing thing...

~edit: Aaah, currency conversion updating...